Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi there..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 12:12 PM
samh537

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there..

Hiya gang

Sam here. Hope to glean much advice from the counsels on this forum.

My situation: I hope this is an appropriate place.

I want to do a US bike tour this summer. I'm 26 and a teacher, so would like to do this during the holidays in between an old and new job.

I was thinking of flying out to Boston and cycling south. At first I just considered Washington, but I am a fairly fit guy so reckon I could (averaging 50 miles a day) push on much further. On a budget, I was thinking Atlanta, then fly back to Boston to return home.

Never done touring before - I know mentally I am up to the challenge. Bit of part-time military experience and a zest for the outdoors and camping.

The main issue is: education. Do I invest in a really expensive touring bike (circa £700-1000), or purchase a good second hand one from gumtree/ebay? I know this is an individual decision -- As a first timer, I was kind of thinking of just getting a good second hand one.

Is 1000-1500 miles solo recommended for a first timer?

I know these Q's might come across as juvenile - really tired after a long week and just wanted to get some ideas from experts out there!

Best.

Last edited by samh537; 02-09-14 at 12:30 PM. Reason: substance
Old 02-09-14, 02:15 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome Sam.
How many miles do you currently ride each week? What bike do you have? What bike will you ride on the tour?
The folks in the Touring forum can give you lots of great advice. Have fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-09-14, 07:13 PM
Lacumo
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BF, good luck with your hoped-for tour and definitely do spend some time reading in the Touring forum. You might consider doing a few short tours--maybe 2 to 5 day tours that start and end at home. It’d give you some good "work the bugs out” shakedown type experience that might be very worthwhile.
Old 02-10-14, 03:36 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums! Hit up the Touring subforum.