Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to dress for metric century in the rain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to dress for metric century in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 06:27 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 78 Posts
Perhaps most important, how are we defining “century” in metric century?
Old 04-24-23, 06:50 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 1,116 Posts
if it was raining at the start and forecast to continue - I would skip the ride

I’ve done a few long rides in the rain and would not recommend it

against some of the previous recommendations - I would wear a waterproof shell of some sort ... eVent ... PI Zephyr ... lightweight Gore windstopper or Gore Tex ... something ... I would at least start the ride with the shell

regular bike shorts ... don’t recall if there is anything better ? ...

remainder of the gear would be lightweight hydrophobic and / or something with wool blend ... polypropylene ... thermastat ? ... silk ... dri-fit ... clima-cool ... ? ... man-made something or another ... ? ...

wool is one of the only natural fibers that can keep you warm when it gets wet - but that might not be an issue here ?

Last edited by t2p; 04-24-23 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-24-23, 06:56 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Perhaps most important, how are we defining “century” in metric century?
my definition:

100 K / approx 65 miles ...

???
Old 04-24-23, 08:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3601 Post(s)
Liked 3,428 Times in 1,949 Posts
Mudguards, for sure.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-24-23, 08:18 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 400 Posts
Not strictly"dress", but I'd be sure to use some cream to avoid butt chafing - that can be a PITA riding for a long time in the rain...
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-24-23, 08:22 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
my definition:

100 K / approx 65 miles ...

???
I was referencing and making fun of another thread here with regards to how to define a century. Believe it or not that thread is now six pages long.

Suffice to say if OP pauses too long for a snack, he doesn’t get a metric century.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 04-24-23, 08:51 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Weather Woes

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Suffice to say if OP pauses too long for a snack, he doesn’t get a metric century.

Well, a few posters have counseled against even doing the ride . . . can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of 5+ hours sitting on a bike in the rain . . . after driving 1800 miles for the privilege.

Tough call . . . I'll keep my eye on the weather forecast. May be a kosmic message that I should consider Orange Beach, AL and environs for a warm, oceanic getaway.

All I'd loose is my $125 registration fee. OTOH, I've been looking forward to this ride since I happened upon it back in January. Drat!

Last edited by eljayski; 04-24-23 at 09:06 PM.
Likes For eljayski:
Old 04-25-23, 07:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
If it's just rain, I'll ride. If it's lightning though from thunderstorms, I'll likely stay home.
Old 04-25-23, 07:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily cancel just because of rain in the forecast. For one thing, you're too far out to believe the weatherman. For another, I rode one century when it rained at least half the time. It was great! I had a jacket and fenders, and it was warm (but not hot). Even though it was "rainy," I had some great views; support was super, especially since they had planned for some 3X the actual number of riders.

If you're prepared and have a good attitude, you can have a wonderful bike ride regardless of the weather.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-25-23, 07:47 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by eljayski

Well, a few posters have counseled against even doing the ride . . . can't say I'm thrilled at the prospect of 5+ hours sitting on a bike in the rain . . . after driving 1800 miles for the privilege.

Tough call . . . I'll keep my eye on the weather forecast. May be a kosmic message that I should consider Orange Beach, AL and environs for a warm, oceanic getaway.

All I'd loose is my $125 registration fee. OTOH, I've been looking forward to this ride since I happened upon it back in January. Drat!
be careful and cautious if you do ride in the rain because bad things more likely to happen - if not you could be someone near / in front of you ... painted lines on the roads can be a challenge ... rail road crossings ...

and look forward to a mess if you do the ride in the rain ... if you are not too ‘picky’ - no problem - but otherwise ... ?

my bikes were a disaster after the long rain rides - everything full of grit etc ... number of hours to disassemble / clean ... headset, wheel bearings etc ... bar tape trashed ... seats trashed (white Turbo and white Flite looked like they had been ridden for 20 years) ...

and can not recall because it was so long ago - but might have been the only time I had a saddle sore or similar
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-25-23, 07:57 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 419 Posts

OCMD - you can't predict weather 4 days out, let alone 2 weeks out.
Old 04-25-23, 08:00 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Forget the rain, those wind gusts alone would make me skip the ride. A sudden side gust at 24mph can blow you into the ditch, or worse yet, out into the middle of the road unexpectedly. Now, add in some rain with that? Nah, I'd pass.
Then we would never ride around here!! Seems like just about every ride this winter/spring had 20+ mph gusts, many days were 30+.

Coastal living...
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-25-23, 08:52 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

After sleeping on it, I still want to do the Ocean City ride. Looking at getting a pair of fenders for the bike. Seems like a cost-effective improvement to the venture.
Likes For eljayski:
Old 04-25-23, 10:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6256 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
Fenders might be nice when in the rain. But you don't get that distinctive dirty streak down the back of your jersey that lets everyone know how badass you are.

Don't skip the ride just because you can't find fenders. I've not been bothered by the spray on my back.
Old 04-25-23, 10:35 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Originally Posted by Iride01
Fenders might be nice when in the rain. But you don't get that distinctive dirty streak down the back of your jersey that lets everyone know how badass you are.

Don't skip the ride just because you can't find fenders. I've not been bothered by the spray on my back.
Thank you for the encouragement. Getting fenders installed at REI this afternoon! Guarantees dry weather on ride day . . .
Old 04-25-23, 11:45 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked 3,971 Times in 2,579 Posts
I've done a few rides in the rain that I'll remember forever. I am in no rush to do them again but I have zero regrets I did them. My first open (and real) race. The Maine International. A big contingent of Canadians and there was a lot of French spoken. Started raining 10pm the night before. Ended a couple of hours after we finished. As wet as I've ever been on a bike. We spent miles alongside the Kennebec River. I bet every one of us had the thought that they could just veer right and they wouldn't get any wetter. Peloton conversations focused on matters like what tires tasted best. (I was riding orange tread sewups. Pretty sure I had the best tasting there.) At the finish there was a park across from the line. Every bush had three riders behind it watering the lawn. Got home and found all my bearings were grease free.

My Peter Mooney did two early rides solo in rain. Into the Santa Cruz mountains and down Alba Road with inch deep rivers running across it. Around Seattle's Lake Washington where I got caught in the biggest shower I've ever ridden in. I had the outdoor world completely to myself. No cars, people, animals ... (Pretty sure the frogs sought out shelter.)

The Harvest Century a few years ago. Didn't rain the entire ride, but most of it. Hadn't done it for decades and got reminded that the ride was run by volunteers to raise money for health care to the poor, that the volunteers were the hands-on folk who delivered that care and that they were passionate about both their work/cause and the ride. Yes, we all got very wet but their love at every rest stop kept us going. (And I got reminded: they put on a great ride; different but they'd been doing it forever with little turnover of volunteers and took making it good seriously.)
Old 04-25-23, 01:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their comments!

After sleeping on it, I still want to do the Ocean City ride. Looking at getting a pair of fenders for the bike. Seems like a cost-effective improvement to the venture.

Hope you enjoy it, rain or shine!

Maybe have a plan B if the weather prediction gets worse.
Old 04-25-23, 01:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Thank you for the encouragement. Getting fenders installed at REI this afternoon! Guarantees dry weather on ride day . . .

It's the old "if you want a bus to come right away, light a cigarette" strategy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-25-23, 02:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's the old "if you want a bus to come right away, light a cigarette" strategy.
Don't put on sunscreen. Don't even take any. That stuff is a rain magnet!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-25-23, 03:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
But you don't get that distinctive dirty streak down the back of your jersey that lets everyone know how badass you are.

There is absolutely nothing hardcore or badass about riding without fenders and getting splattered with road grime or mud.
Old 04-25-23, 04:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

my bikes were a disaster after the long rain rides - everything full of grit etc ... number of hours to disassemble / clean ... headset, wheel bearings etc ... bar tape trashed ... seats trashed (white Turbo and white Flite looked like they had been ridden for 20 years) ...
This is complete BS....You are seriously blowing things out of proportion.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-25-23, 05:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,033 Posts

Now, it's not like this ride is this weekend. With it being 2 week away, and the fact the forecasting 48 hours away is a challenge, I would not worry about it until it get closer.

Old 04-25-23, 07:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3711 Post(s)
Liked 5,560 Times in 2,815 Posts
I once did a very hilly century (100mi) in the rain. What sticks in my mind beyond being cold and terrified on the descents is how filthy the bike got. Chain, cassette, RD were covered with grit. I dumped a couple of bottles of water over it all about half way.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-26-23, 04:20 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 564 Posts
A forecast more than 48 hours out is pretty unreliable, but right now the weather channel says it will be "Partly cloudy. High 69F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph." You can't ask for a whole lot btter than that.

That forecast is far off enough to change more than once. The Maryland Eastern Shore is very flat so no hills, but the winds can really howl in that open country. Having some experience there, I'd be more worried about the wind than a little rain unless maybe it is torrential. I never found riding in the rain to be a big hardship unless it was pretty cold. So I'd be watching the wind more than the rain.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-26-23, 04:54 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by wolfchild
This is complete BS....You are seriously blowing things out of proportion.

I ride in the area where the OP is headed. Rode in the rain, with wet lube like like you are "supposed" to use in those conditions.

Many of the rides there do a loop out on to Assateague island - undeveloped barrier island, sand, sand dunes and a road - thats it. Get a north east wind blowing off the ocean with rain - your bike comes out encrusted in sandy salt water. Add wet lube to that equation and you have a complete mess - near complete teardown of the bike required to get all of the salt water and sand out of everywhere. It gets everywhere and will rust anything.

I had to throw my chain away after one ride.

So no, its not complete BS.
Likes For Jughed:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.