Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sturmey Archer SRF5(W)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sturmey Archer SRF5(W)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-19, 05:23 PM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Sturmey Archer SRF5(W)

Hi, I have a lightly used SRF5 that shifts and feels good. Wondering if anyone has long-term use of one of these? I'm planning to set one up for moderate touring, possibly with a half step double crank and Alfine tensioner. The current RX 5 speed hubs are billed as good for heavy duty. Are the last generation hubs build as well? Thanks.
Old 12-22-19, 07:04 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I used an X-RD5(W) on my commuting bike and had probably 15,000-20,000 miles on it. I can say that it was reliable though I did have a few problems: I had to replace the gear ring pawls twice because they were chipped. This was totally the result of my aggressive shifting under load, which would pound the pawl into the ball ring. Once I calmed down and shifted gently all was good. The other problem was that the circlip that retains the planet cage on the axle lost its springiness and would pop out of its groove. I replaced it with a new one - no problems since.
Old 12-23-19, 07:13 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by tommymc
Hi, I have a lightly used SRF5 that shifts and feels good. Wondering if anyone has long-term use of one of these? I'm planning to set one up for moderate touring, possibly with a half step double crank and Alfine tensioner. The current RX 5 speed hubs are billed as good for heavy duty. Are the last generation hubs build as well? Thanks.
Is there a (w) after the model number? If not, you have a hub that is two generations old.That model used a ball locking mechanism to select between the sun gears whereas the wide range model which came after used a sliding key. I have had much better luck with the ball lock type. The wide range model was problematic in my experience.
I have a current RX model in use now, and it did have engagement problems, but converting it to ATF lube has solved the issues.
This video highlights the engagement issues I experienced, and how I resolved it.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 12-23-19 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-24-19, 11:41 AM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Sturmey Archer SRF5(W)

Hi Dan, thanks for the response and informative video. Mine is definitlely the wide-range version. It shifts and runs beautifully with less than 1,000 miles. Your video looks so simple to pull the mechanical center that I think I'll do it to see how it works. Would ATF be the best way to go with this one as well? Thanks again.
Old 12-25-19, 07:25 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Personally, I would try to avoid digging into a hub that "shifts and runs beautifully"; however I do understand having curiosity about how things work. Why not wait until you have a few more thousand miles on it and then go for it.

I've always used NGLI #00 semi-liquid grease, as originally supplied, in my hub and never had an issue even in sub freezing weather. I've heard good things about ATF though.
Likes For Moe Zhoost: