Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ultegra mechanical vs. Di2 price difference

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-03-20, 12:14 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Looking at a bike and the mfg is quoting a $1,000 difference between the Ultegra mechanical and Di2 builds (same exact spec otherwise).

Does that sound right to you guys? Seems a bit steep to me.
Old 08-03-20, 12:30 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
From what I've seen that does seems to be the norm. I think it's too much too, which is why I always buy the mechanical version, then upgrade it myself...I end up saving around $500.
More if I can go with a lower tier (i.e.105) build.
Old 08-03-20, 01:15 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Seems normal to me. Di2 worth it in my opinion

james
www.buckyrides.com
Old 08-03-20, 02:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
gotta spend the dough to get that burnt crust experience!
Old 08-03-20, 03:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmith41094
Looking at a bike and the mfg is quoting a $1,000 difference between the Ultegra mechanical and Di2 builds (same exact spec otherwise).

Sounds about normal.. 50% markup on all of the components is kinda how bike companies seem to derive a complete bike price (plus the cost of the frame itself of course).

Actually you're somewhat lucky you can find a manufacturer with only a $1k price difference, since most makers seem to change a bunch of other stuff so that an Ultegra Mech to Di2 costs a lot more for a complete build. Eg look at the Trek Emonda SL6 Pro vs SL7 with a $1700 price differential for the entry into electronic shifting.
Old 08-03-20, 04:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts

I'm not sure why our opinions matter. We're not the ones who are considering the purchase.
Old 08-03-20, 06:02 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Personally, to me it wasn’t worth the sizable price jump when I bought my Domane. Ultegra mech has a rock solid history. I also know folks who paid the up charge to Di2 and are also very happy with it. Only you can make the final decision. Are you able to get personal input from folks with each? Good luck.
Old 08-03-20, 07:25 PM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sounds about normal.. 50% markup on all of the components is kinda how bike companies seem to derive a complete bike price (plus the cost of the frame itself of course).

Actually you're somewhat lucky you can find a manufacturer with only a $1k price difference, since most makers seem to change a bunch of other stuff so that an Ultegra Mech to Di2 costs a lot more for a complete build. Eg look at the Trek Emonda SL6 Pro vs SL7 with a $1700 price differential for the entry into electronic shifting.
​​​​​​
I went with the SL6 pro over the SL7 for exactly this reason. The test rides told me not to spend to that price jump.

I feel like for that 1700, I can just upgrade the wheels myself, get a power meter and still have a rock solid groupset.
​​​
Old 08-03-20, 10:07 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i still dont get the whole di2 thinig maybe in 10 years when its as cheap as mechs ill give it a try , but i really cant justify it for crit racing , cyclcross seems way to violent for di2 , unless you are a pro rider doing stage races where shifting will effect your performance , why waste the extra money , just for the group rides or local races ?
Old 08-04-20, 07:18 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
From what I've seen that does seems to be the norm. I think it's too much too, which is why I always buy the mechanical version, then upgrade it myself...I end up saving around $500.
More if I can go with a lower tier (i.e.105) build.
Upgrading to di2 for $500?? Maybe with older gen used parts, def not new, but even used I haven't seen di2 that cheap.

But yeah, about a grand to jump from mechanical to di2 sounds about right. The parts alone are that much if you buy them from Merlin (cheapest I've found), and then you still have to install them.

100% worth it, imo.
Old 08-04-20, 07:34 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
$1000 for the component portion of the upgrade is high. I'm assuming something else on the higher price bike is different and more expensive as well - better wheels maybe ?.

A quick price check on a soup-to-nuts rim brake component group at Texas Cycle Sport shows a mechanical Ultegra group consisting of Crank, B-Bracket, Shifters, Brakes, F & R derailleurs, cassette and chain at $830. The similar Di2 system is $1470, so a $650 price difference.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 08-04-20, 08:29 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. A lot of really great info. I was originally thinking I might be able to work the price a little bit (given the groupset was the only change between the 2 builds), but it seems like the $1k is a pretty reasonable premium to most.

I've got Di2 on another bike and had honestly forgotten what the price dif was. But I do really love the shift speed/consistency + the ability to link up to my phone/bike computer. Totally agree it is probably a "nice-to-have" for 99% of people.

I will say though the other really intriguing piece of Di2 for me has been the "set it and forget it" component. Most people I know who have had it for years, myself included, say there has been virtually zero maintenance to worry about since the day they got it.
Old 08-04-20, 09:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. A lot of really great info. I was originally thinking I might be able to work the price a little bit (given the groupset was the only change between the 2 builds), but it seems like the $1k is a pretty reasonable premium to most.
FWIW, I don't think anyone used the word 'reasonable'.. I think 'normal' has been the the most oft used term -- when referring to what complete bike makers upcharge.

EDIT: What bike btw? And, is this Di2 upgrade model a listed model on the bike brand's website, or what your LBS is quoting to provide you with the upgraded bike? If the latter, then I'd guess that they're just buying the 6-7 parts necessary to switchover to Di2, and in this case, you may want to ask them if you get to keep the take-off Ultegra mech parts.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 08-04-20 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-04-20, 10:06 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
FWIW, I don't think anyone used the word 'reasonable'.. I think 'normal' has been the the most oft used term -- when referring to what complete bike makers upcharge.

EDIT: What bike btw? And, is this Di2 upgrade model a listed model on the bike brand's website, or what your LBS is quoting to provide you with the upgraded bike? If the latter, then I'd guess that they're just buying the 6-7 parts necessary to switchover to Di2, and in this case, you may want to ask them if you get to keep the take-off Ultegra mech parts.
Touché
Old 08-04-20, 10:30 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Do the electronic systems have the 3 gear change capability that my Campy has?
Old 08-04-20, 11:20 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Press and hold the button and it'll move across the entire cassette.
Old 08-04-20, 11:22 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Upgrading to di2 for $500?? Maybe with older gen used parts, def not new, but even used I haven't seen di2 that cheap.

But yeah, about a grand to jump from mechanical to di2 sounds about right. The parts alone are that much if you buy them from Merlin (cheapest I've found), and then you still have to install them.

100% worth it, imo.
You're forgetting to factor in the money that you recoup from selling the mechanical groupset...I got $800 for the last Ultegra (disc) groupset that I sold. Then I buy the Di2 stuff from Merlins, and end up saving a sizeable chunk of change.

And personally, I prefer to install it myself as it allows me to route the brake hoses/di2 wires to my liking. But if someone isn't comfortable with doing it themselves, then they're better off buying the ready to go model, as the savings will be next to nothing.
Old 08-04-20, 11:26 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Shoot, it's better than that: you can customize the number of shifts you get with a "press and hold" of the shift paddle. And you can tailor it differently for upshifts vs downshifts.