Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Questions about GAP/C&O Canal

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Questions about GAP/C&O Canal

Old 05-18-21, 07:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
We lost a day to a group that started the Trans Am with us until we passed Mineral, VA. We both camped behind the fire station, perhaps 100 yards from the railroad crossing They were terribly bothered by the trains coming through all night, to the point that they rode a dozen miles to a B&B to get some rest. We heard a train before bedtime and another when we woke up, well rested, and caught up with them a couple days later. Either CSX paused train service for a night or we slept through all the rest of the trains!
Yeah I may be weird, but I have lost way more sleep from people talking after I am ready to turn in (I am an early to bed early to rise guy) than from trains or traffic. Train and truck noise just doesn't bother me much.
Old 05-18-21, 11:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
It’s not the trains themselves that usually bother people but rather the sounding of horns at crossings. That’s required by federal law unless a “quiet zone”has been established. One is often expensive to establish, which is why you don’t find many.

Rented an old caboose for the night next to the CSXT main in Chester, MA. Only heard two of the six that came through that night, and one of those because the locomotives stopped next to the caboose for a meet.
Old 06-07-21, 01:32 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Recently finished riding from DC to Pittsburgh on C&O/GAP and it appears most of the pumps are open and operational along the trail. I think we only used one during our trip. As for trains, you do hear a lot of them near the trail. We stayed in motels and one AirBnB in Confluence. Lots of trains in Cumberland but we had done a 90 mile day so the noise didn't bother me plus we were on the 5th floor so somewhat above it all. The AirBnB in Confluence was closer to the tracks and, as we were preparing to leave, I commented that I only heard two trains during the night. My riding partner said there were a lot more than two trains during the night. Enjoy the ride, we had a great time.