Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Old school computers on a mtb suspension fork?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 08:46 PM
sultanofsuede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Had a super quick question - I have a couple old computers from my road bikes that my kids have asked to mount on their mountain bikes. one is a 20 year old specialized and the other is a 15 year old cateye. pretty standard wireless, magnet on the spoke things.

any idea of those work on front suspension forks? does the travel cause any inaccuracy? i mean, the kids won't worry about a .1 mile issue, but i'd prefer they aren't trying to guess if they went 5 miles or 10 miles (in their minds, its pretty much the same thing). they're not old enough for phones or gps, so i just though they'd dig the speedo and odo.

thanks -
Old 06-16-21, 08:53 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Mount the fork sensor on the part of the fork attached to the wheel axle, it doesn't move relative to the wheel.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 06-17-21, 04:25 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Before going fancy GPS with wheel hub sensor I used wired Bontrager cycle computer. Like above. Mount the sensor on the lowers (sliders). I used longer zip ties and followed up with silicone RTV to keep it from slipping. You may have to find something to use as a spacer so it will reach the sensor on the spoke. I also added a dab of RTV there.

If it is wired make sure there is enough slack in the wire. I used the fork bridge as one attachment point.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 06-17-21, 07:52 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
If the computer has the setting...You will have to adjust wheel size also for correct mileage.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-17-21, 08:42 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I’m just amazed that there are kids that don’t have cell phones and will actually ride 5 or 10 miles on a real non-electric bicycle. OP must not be from the US.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster: