Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cauliflower shorts

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cauliflower shorts

Old 06-12-21, 11:53 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Cauliflower shorts

I guess I must have skinny legs because my new Castelli Competizione shorts like to flap a bit at the leg opening. They're fine when my legs are bent at 90 degrees, like at the top of the pedalstroke, but I can feel them flapping about in any other position, and its annoying.

Are there any bibshorts that are good for skinny thighed people?
Old 06-13-21, 12:29 AM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
What's the circumference of your thigh where the bottom of the shorts lie?
What size shorts do you normally wear?
Do you have other brand shorts that fit better?
I definitely don't have 'biker thighs' but my shorts all seem to fit pretty well.

A good sewer with a serger could probably take in the seam to tighten up the bottom of the shorts legs.
I looked at a couple of my bibshorts and the cheaper ones look a bit easier to alter.

Last edited by VicBC_Biker; 06-13-21 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-13-21, 12:34 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
What's the circumference of your thigh where the bottom of the shorts lie?
What size shorts do you normally wear?
Do you have other brand shorts that fit better?
I definitely don't have 'biker thighs' but my shorts all seem to fit pretty well.

A good seamstress with a serger could probably take in the seam to tighten up the bottom of the shorts legs.
I looked at a couple of my bibshorts and the cheaper ones look a bit easier to alter.
I might have to try Assos again as my Half Mille shorts that are about 10 years old don't do this. I just find it a little weird they don't put any elastic around the leg openings, only silicon grippers, at least on the Competizione.
Old 06-13-21, 01:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you don't mind spending less than $100, Cerotipolar are very good values. Best fit I've found so far. My thighs are 20.5" at largest, and 17" just above the knee where the grippers usually fall. I got the long inseam version because my upper legs are a bit disproportionately longer for my height.

The Cerotipolar black are very standard, generic looking black shorts and bibs, no visible logos, brand names or odd stitching. Like the Black Bibs but better, IMO. Comfortable pad too, comparable to the popular DuPont CoolMax chamois used by other makers. No complaints or problems after several rides up to 2 hours the past few weeks, and several washings (I usually handwash and air dry, though).

Przewalski's latest bibs also fit well, no flapping around the thigh, but run slightly shorter than the Cerotipolar. I'm not fond of the lighter colored stitching that emphasizes the different panels of Lycra/Spandex, but for around $35 it's hard to complain.
Old 06-13-21, 09:02 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,536 Times in 1,779 Posts
I just tried some Voler Velocity bibs, and they fit my chicken legs like a glove.

My quads are 21” at their biggest, and the medium bibs fit great.

“This bib is a great choice for competitive cyclists of all ages looking for our most compressive bib.”

https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110857

Old 06-13-21, 09:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I imagine there are scenarios where waist size drive bib size, but also drives bib and inseam length and diameter changes? So a large waist could mean the inseam grows, and the thigh opening increases. So a potbelly becomes disproportionate to leg size from the target design standpoint?
Old 06-13-21, 11:17 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I imagine there are scenarios where waist size drive bib size, but also drives bib and inseam length and diameter changes? So a large waist could mean the inseam grows, and the thigh opening increases. So a potbelly becomes disproportionate to leg size from the target design standpoint?
Possibly, but I'm 178cm tall, 67kg, and have a 32 waist, so no pot belly here. My problem is I have disproportionately long thighs.

Last edited by Doomrider74; 06-13-21 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-13-21, 12:01 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by canklecat
If you don't mind spending less than $100, Cerotipolar are very good values. Best fit I've found so far. My thighs are 20.5" at largest, and 17" just above the knee where the grippers usually fall. I got the long inseam version because my upper legs are a bit disproportionately longer for my height.

The Cerotipolar black are very standard, generic looking black shorts and bibs, no visible logos, brand names or odd stitching. Like the Black Bibs but better, IMO. Comfortable pad too, comparable to the popular DuPont CoolMax chamois used by other makers. No complaints or problems after several rides up to 2 hours the past few weeks, and several washings (I usually handwash and air dry, though).

Przewalski's latest bibs also fit well, no flapping around the thigh, but run slightly shorter than the Cerotipolar. I'm not fond of the lighter colored stitching that emphasizes the different panels of Lycra/Spandex, but for around $35 it's hard to complain.
I'm 21/17, so similar. Ive tried The Black Bibs and they are crap so I'm reluctant to try cheapo shorts again.
Old 06-13-21, 12:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
I've been trying on shorts for years before buying. My issues aren't quite yours, but not far off. I'm skinny and long. 155 pounds or less, 32 waist, 34 (street pants) inseam. I generally have to buy small shorts to get the opening into the top of the leg small enough that important stuff stay where they belong. Bike shops with changing rooms - maybe a gift to be withdrawn. I hope not.

I did race back in the dark ages when all shorts were shorter than any today, so I find that adoptation not too hard to grasp.
Old 06-13-21, 12:13 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I got those exact bibs last week and they're very tight but I do have big thighs I guess. Unless you have stick legs you may have a defective pair. Castelli isn't known for their quality control. I has some new ones a couple of years ago that I had to exchange because the crotch became see through after a couple of rides.
Old 06-13-21, 12:36 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
20" quads with 16.5" at the grippers/hem and Medium RedWhite, Hincapie,Garneau all fit me OK. Even the M 'Falconi' bibs from Love2Pedal fit my legs fine.
So as Lazyass suggests, maybe those Castellis are defective?
Old 06-13-21, 01:46 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
20" quads with 16.5" at the grippers/hem and Medium RedWhite, Hincapie,Garneau all fit me OK. Even the M 'Falconi' bibs from Love2Pedal fit my legs fine.
So as Lazyass suggests, maybe those Castellis are defective?
Perhaps they are but I'm outside the return window, and I've used them for the last few months, so returning them isn't an option. I'm also not sure I have enough to say if they are defective or whether they just don't suit my anatomy, so I doubt a warranty replacement would be accepted. Either way, I'll look at some alternatives.
Old 06-13-21, 02:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I just tried some Voler Velocity bibs, and they fit my chicken legs like a glove.

My quads are 21” at their biggest, and the medium bibs fit great.

“This bib is a great choice for competitive cyclists of all ages looking for our most compressive bib.”

https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110857
Voler seems to have redundant bibs. Their black label is almost identical to the velocity. The big difference is strap color, really.
Same fabric, same pad, same compression claim, same inseam length same leg band, same flat lock construction, same price.

I like their black label bibs.
Old 06-13-21, 04:51 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If you don't mind spending less than $100, Cerotipolar are very good values…Przewalski's latest bibs also fit well, no flapping around the thigh, but run slightly shorter than the Cerotipolar. I'm not fond of the lighter colored stitching that emphasizes the different panels of Lycra/Spandex, but for around $35 it's hard to complain.
Cat, I too am a frugal fella, but I would be reluctant to go with a low bidder for shorts ‘n’ bibs. Beyond comfort, a wardrobe malfunction could be embarrassing. I like Boure. They will definitely CYA.
Old 06-13-21, 05:07 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Cat, I too am a frugal fella, but I would be reluctant to go with a low bidder for shorts ‘n’ bibs. Beyond comfort, a wardrobe malfunction could be embarrassing. I like Boure. They will definitely CYA.
I should mention for the original poster that Boure is a company that makes clothes more or less to order. You can reach Drew Boure by email and get just what you need.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-21, 11:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I understand the reluctance to waste money on cheapie shorts and bibs, but Cerotipolar and Przewalski shorts and bibs punch way above their weight. I've ridden the Przewalskis for going on three years and a lot of miles, no signs of wearing through the fabric, no stitching or hems coming lose, no problems at all. And while I've had the Cerotipolars for only a few weeks and a few hundred miles, they appear to be at least equal to the Przewalski and probably better.

When I compared the Cerotipolar to the Black Bibs, I meant that only in terms of totally generic looks, sans any identifying marks, logos, brands, etc. But for me the Cerotipolar are much more comfortable -- better compression without needing to buy a size smaller, good stretch where needed, much better chamois pad, better thigh hems.

The only nit I'd pick with Przewalski is the reflective script logo/name wears off after awhile. And, as I mentioned above, I'm not a fan of two-tone stuff, or stitching that's lighter than the fabric and draws attention to itself by making all the panels obvious. Yeah, well designed shorts and bibs should be made of various panels to stretch where needed, and compress in other places. But I don't want the stitching to emphasize the fact that most shorts and bibs are a mish-mash of oddly cut panels. Just keep it all basic black, which the Cerotipolar does.
Old 06-18-21, 10:45 PM
Doomrider74

I ordered the Assos Mille GT bibs and they do exactly the same thing so I think I'm resigned to just having crap legs. They were much better if I pulled the legs up higher so it may just be a symptom of the fact I have disproportionately long thighs.

One thing about the Assos is the pad seems much better than the Castelli Comps, so I'm debating whether to take them our for a ride or not.
Old 06-19-21, 05:01 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
I ordered the Assos Mille GT bibs and they do exactly the same thing so I think I'm resigned to just having crap legs. They were much better if I pulled the legs up higher so it may just be a symptom of the fact I have disproportionately long thighs.

One thing about the Assos is the pad seems much better than the Castelli Comps, so I'm debating whether to take them our for a ride or not.
The Mille GT bibs are a fairly relaxed fit compared to their race models and don’t have much compression. So probably not the best choice for skinny thighs. The tightest fitting bibs I have around the leg openings are Rapha Core, which are the same price as the GTs. The pad is very good too, at least on a par with the GT pad, which I also like.
Old 06-19-21, 07:00 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The Mille GT bibs are a fairly relaxed fit compared to their race models and don’t have much compression. So probably not the best choice for skinny thighs. The tightest fitting bibs I have around the leg openings are Rapha Core, which are the same price as the GTs. The pad is very good too, at least on a par with the GT pad, which I also like.
Ive just taken the Assos out for a 60km ride and actually they're great. Before I went out I tried them on again and spent more time getting the legs in the right place and they actually fit, without being flappy. They're a little shorter than I would like, ideally, but otherwise they fit well and are very comfy. Good thing because I can't return them now

I think one of the issues with the Castelli Competizione bibs is the grippers: they run vertically, at about 1-2cm spacing, and its the bits between the grippers that seem to move around, resulting in a poorer fit.
Old 06-19-21, 08:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Disturbing thread title...

https://www.amazon.com/Ladkingq-Caul.../dp/B07QJ4YN6B
Old 06-20-21, 04:39 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Unusual, as Castelli is usually small/tight fitting. I am your height and 70kg and use size Large Castelli bib shorts. They are still quite tight.
I don't usually wear a large size in any clothing.
Old 06-20-21, 04:51 AM
PeteHski

Ive just taken the Assos out for a 60km ride and actually they're great. Before I went out I tried them on again and spent more time getting the legs in the right place and they actually fit, without being flappy. They're a little shorter than I would like, ideally, but otherwise they fit well and are very comfy. Good thing because I can't return them now

I think one of the issues with the Castelli Competizione bibs is the grippers: they run vertically, at about 1-2cm spacing, and its the bits between the grippers that seem to move around, resulting in a poorer fit.
Sounds like a good result. I agree Assos are a little shorter in the leg than average, but doesn't bother me. I really like the material and pad on the Mille GT and also the minimal seams. I've had mine for a about a year now and worn them several times a week in rotation with a few other bibs and they are still like new after countless washes. My Rapha Core bibs are my favourites, but mainly because they have pockets at the back and sides (Core Cargo), which is great for long haul rides. The GTs run a little cooler and are great for hot sweaty rides. I'm tempted to try the new GTS version next season, but they are a fair bit more expensive.

There's a 30% off sale on Mille GT (blue only) at the moment, which makes them great value for money at about £80 in the UK.
Old 06-20-21, 05:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Unusual, as Castelli is usually small/tight fitting. I am your height and 70kg and use size Large Castelli bib shorts. They are still quite tight.
I don't usually wear a large size in any clothing.
It all makes sense if you start with the largest size offered and then work downwards
Since Castelli offers 3XL, you wear their 4th largest size, out of a total 6 available sizes.
Old 06-20-21, 08:44 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Sounds like a good result. I agree Assos are a little shorter in the leg than average, but doesn't bother me. I really like the material and pad on the Mille GT and also the minimal seams. I've had mine for a about a year now and worn them several times a week in rotation with a few other bibs and they are still like new after countless washes. My Rapha Core bibs are my favourites, but mainly because they have pockets at the back and sides (Core Cargo), which is great for long haul rides. The GTs run a little cooler and are great for hot sweaty rides. I'm tempted to try the new GTS version next season, but they are a fair bit more expensive.

There's a 30% off sale on Mille GT (blue only) at the moment, which makes them great value for money at about £80 in the UK.
One thing I find weird about the Assos is that the pad isn't stitched all the way around: the sides are partially open. At first I thought they're defective but then I watched a few reviews and they all seem to be like it. Time will tell if its a design flaw or not.
Old 06-20-21, 05:05 PM
PeteHski

One thing I find weird about the Assos is that the pad isn't stitched all the way around: the sides are partially open. At first I thought they're defective but then I watched a few reviews and they all seem to be like it. Time will tell if its a design flaw or not.
It's a design feature, not a flaw. The idea is that the pad doesn't move around as your legs articulate and actually works pretty well. 7Mesh bibs also have a similar "floating" pad design.
Likes For PeteHski: