Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Suspension fork: one vs two springs

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 01:57 PM
fcormier

Bikes: 2013 Norco Indie IGH Alfine 8, 2008½ Kona Jake, 2003 Giant Iguana, 1994 Rocky Moutain Équipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am rebuilding my two mountain bikes and I am wondering what to do about the two suspension forks.

The first bike is a 1994 Rocky Mountain Équipe on which I installed a Rock Shox Judy XC in 2000. The other is a 2003 Giant Iguana that came with a Rock Shox Pilot C. Geometry wise, the Rocky Mountain came with a 63 mm travel fork (which I didn't keep) and the Judy has 80 mm of travel. The Giant has an 80 mm travel fork and I want to upgrade it to 100 mm.

In 2010, when I upgraded the Giant with disk brakes (it came with V brakes), I installed the Judy XC on it because I thought that it was higher end than the Pilot C. I installed a rigid fork on the Rocky Mountain so I could use it as a city bike.

Now, the Iguana is due for some maintenance and the Rocky Mountain is due for a rebuild. I also want to rebuild the Rocky Mountain as a mountain bike as it was previously so i can have a spare/loaner.

About the forks:
The Judy XC has a spring in each fork leg and is adjustable between 63, 80 and 100 mm of travel. It has a steel steerer tube.
The Pilot C only has a spring in the left leg and is fixed at 80 mm. The manual says that it was an OEM fork that was available as either with 80 or 100 mm of travel. From what I have seen in the maintenance manuals, I believe it can be done by adding a spacer, the same type of spacer that makes the Judy XC adjustable. Also, it has an alloy steerer tube.
From what I saw, the 2003 Pilot has the same fork legs as the 2000 Judy.

My questions are:
Is one spring enough? Are two springs better than one? Should I try to upgrade the Pilot C to two springs? Which fork should I install on which bike?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-16, 10:33 PM
fcormier

Bikes: 2013 Norco Indie IGH Alfine 8, 2008½ Kona Jake, 2003 Giant Iguana, 1994 Rocky Moutain Équipe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some questions have been answered here: https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-b...d-clarity.html
and here: RockShox Pilot C 2003 Front Shocks Reviews - Mtbr.com
Old 05-03-16, 03:48 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by fcormier
Is one spring enough?
Yes, you'll probably find that most if decent forks (air or coil) only have a spring in one leg, in the other leg you will find things like rebound adjustment, compression adjustment and lockout.

With decent coil spring forks, you can get springs with different ratings to suit different riders weights, a coil spring won't suit all riders weights.
Old 11-13-16, 10:30 PM
fcormier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All my reading led to this: https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-b...atibility.html