Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cygolite mount VS Cycle Torch Shark style mount...

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-18, 06:16 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts

In the market for a light but I ride at night rarely. Haven't used one but the Cygolite mount looks like a little cumbersome compared to a mount like the rubber strap on a Cycle Torch Shark. The Cygolite Dart has a similar mount to the Shark, but doesn't appear bright enough.

Thoughts?
Old 07-01-18, 07:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I really like the Cygolite mount-- it allows L/R adjustment as well as up down, and you can get accessory mounts to hook a Cygolite to... most anything. The GoPro-style mount adapter is particularly useful.
Old 07-01-18, 07:33 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I really like the Cygolite mount-- it allows L/R adjustment as well as up down, and you can get accessory mounts to hook a Cygolite to... most anything. The GoPro-style mount adapter is particularly useful.
Is it quick to take on and off? I don't see myself needing the L/R adjustment or accessories given my needs and use. Looking for something very bright, that can be taken off and on in a skip, doesn't move around while riding, and can fit in a mini saddle bag when not in use.
Old 07-01-18, 08:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
It's very quick. You don't have to unscrew it. You can take the light and leave the mount. And even unscrewing the mount is pretty quick. I much prefer it to rubber band mounts.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-01-18, 09:43 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
In the market for a light but I ride at night rarely. Haven't used one but the Cygolite mount looks like a little cumbersome compared to a mount like the rubber strap on a Cycle Torch Shark. The Cygolite Dart has a similar mount to the Shark, but doesn't appear bright enough.

Thoughts?
You neglected to include budget, as the selection to choose from is huge. Lights can cost as little as $25, or as much as $500!
Old 07-01-18, 09:46 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
The cygolite mounting system is solid. The mount stays attached to the bike and the light detaches. It really stands up to frequent mounting and unmounting. I've read that the stretchy bands sometimes have issues. If you have a bar that is unusually large or is an weird cross section, a light with the stretchy band might be better. The problem is that if the band breaks or tears, you will have to MacGyver a mounting solution.
Old 07-01-18, 09:50 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You neglected to include budget, as the selection to choose from is huge. Lights can cost as little as $25, or as much as $500!
$50 or less.

Originally Posted by a1penguin
The cygolite mounting system is solid. The mount stays attached to the bike and the light detaches. It really stands up to frequent mounting and unmounting. I've read that the stretchy bands sometimes have issues. If you have a bar that is unusually large or is an weird cross section, a light with the stretchy band might be better. The problem is that if the band breaks or tears, you will have to MacGyver a mounting solution.
Both of my bikes are vintage road bikes with drop bars. I was wondering about the stretchy bands have problems over time. Good point about it breaking making the light almost useless without a DIY solution.
Old 07-01-18, 10:29 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by noglider
It's very quick. You don't have to unscrew it. You can take the light and leave the mount. And even unscrewing the mount is pretty quick. I much prefer it to rubber band mounts.
What issues did you have with the rubber band mounts?
Old 07-02-18, 08:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
What issues did you have with the rubber band mounts?
I just don't like them. I don't trust them to last. For them to work well, they have to be tight, which means I have to pull them very hard. My hands are good at screwing things tight, but I find pulling rubber bands tight to be unpleasant and imprecise. I sometimes I have to try and retry.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.