Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What kind of bike rack should I look for?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 10:48 AM
drew571

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna and am looking at bike rack options. It currently doesn't have a hitch and although i'm not completely against getting one, i wanted to see what the options would be for roof rack. It currently has a pretty standard looking luggage rack. Are there bike racks that will attach to this existing luggage rack? Thoughts, advice? Thank you so much!
Old 11-30-18, 11:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Now that no cars have had rain gutters in the past several decades..
and you are considering a roof rack..

the big companies are Thule and Yakima... consult a fit list

as to using the factory luggage rack , Toyota dealer asked yet?

Otherwise consider a hook and strap , easily installed and removed , trunk rack.
Old 11-30-18, 11:29 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Welcome to a great forum where you'll find lots of info!

I recently went thru this same scenario and found so many options. Start with your budget then use Google to get some ideas for similar applications on your vehicle. RackAttack is a good source of info.

I ended up getting a class 1 hitch and a 2 bike frame mounted rack for the wife's car(convertible Mustang) She short and also did not like how the suction cups on a trunk mount may scuff up the paint. A removable hitch rack suited her needs best.

Putting a roof rack on a van might be a task for shorter folks.....
Old 11-30-18, 12:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
You will find many options for both roof racks and hitch racks. A good place to see what fits your car is etrailer.com.

I think most will agree that in terms of actually loading and unloading the bike, hitch mounted platform racks are much more convenient than a roof rack, especially when the vehicle in question has a high roof (like your mini-van). Tall vehicles can be a little challenging.

On the other hand, I think it is also important to consider how convenient the rack is when you are NOT using it. In the case of a mini van where the rear hatch swings out a ways, you may find that unless you take the rack off, you will need to tilt it down (or in some way mess with it) every time you want to get in the rear of the van.

I have been using a platform hitch rack (1UP) for the past three years, and to be honest, I am stating to consider going with roof racks (or at least have them as an option), because on the whole I think they are actually more convenient for me. Yes, taking the bikes on and off takes a lot longer, but I never need to dicker with it the rest of the time. Also, when on extended trips with bikes, I am constantly needing to tilt the rack with the bike on it to get in the back of the car, and even then they are somewhat in the way.

On the other-other hand, with bikes on top of an already tall vehicle, you need to be conscientious about where you drive with the bikes on top.

Good luck!