Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When are you too old to ride?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

When are you too old to ride?

Old 11-18-19, 06:32 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 222 Posts
The day I realize that I am a danger to myself or others will be the day that I become too old to ride. Hopefully, that realization won't come a day too late.
Old 11-18-19, 06:41 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I've been at the point you describe many times, and I'm "only" turning 57 next week. It makes me laugh now to think of how I was telling myself ten years ago that "this will be my last overnight ride," and "from now on, I'll just stick to bike trails and riding around the neighborhood." I don't take week-long trips any more because I just don't have the time, but I'm still doing at least two overnights every summer and I hope to return to longer trips when/if I finally ever retire.

We all go through physical and mental slumps and start to see the end of cycling right around the corner, but as any of the 80 or 90-year-old cyclists on this group will tell you, it aint' over till it's over.
Old 11-18-19, 08:01 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by rayooo
I'm 66....have been riding more and more the last few years.. being retired gives me all kinds of opportunities , nothing like going out riding on a "work" day when I'm not working!

I'm planning to ride until I simply cannot. I'm thinking that right around 80 I'll start slowing down.
Same here. I plan my day around riding. One thing I was going to do that I just didn't was to ride my regular commute in the morning, and then keep going. I couldn't quite figure out why I wanted to rush out of the house.
Old 11-18-19, 09:04 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
I'll be 61 in a couple of months, and I just don't think about things like "when will I be too old".

I suppose I'll just know someday.
Old 11-18-19, 10:31 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 257 Posts
There are 7 speed three wheelers that are not a bad alternative, assuming one has a quiet neighborhood without any crazy hills, or the paved roads of a local park in which to ride. The 7 speed "trikes" are not bad riding cycles. They do require a pick-up truck and probably an assistant, fellow rider, spouse, friend, etc for those really needing such a cycle, in order to Load & Unload the 7 speed tricycle into the pick-up truck bed at the park and at home.
Those 7 speed trikes are wonderful for certain aged persons who can benefit from the exercise and enjoyment that such three wheeler would provide, yet give them the security of three wheels. It would still allow a somewhat aged and slightly frail, or recooperating person, to pedal and ride with friends and family in scenic surroundings, outdoors, away from heavy traffic. I believe that such a person would get far more than an exercise benefit from those 7 speed trikes. I'd imagine the social aspect of being out and pedalling with others, would possibly give them enjoyment, a sense of feeling good, especially if they are riding along with others who are younger and more active & athletic. They need not go fast on such a 7 speed trike to get that positive feeling boost of riding the same quiet park roads or quiet, lightly trafficked neighborhood, subdivision, cul-de-sac street. I'd think that for many, the joy of riding along with friends, grandchildren or other family members would make their day IF THEY DON'T OVER-DO IT such that they become really tired, achey and sore.
Now, I'm certain that some of you are laughing at just the thought of riding a 7 speed trike, but when you really think about it,...it is not all that different from riding a bicycle.................you simply have two rear wheels and you are a bit more secure with three wheels if you find that might be an issue.
Ride On!
........get yer pedals turning, ride up & down the park's streets, lookin' for adventure.....
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 11-18-19, 10:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Too many variables to generalize.

I'm stronger now at 62 than I was a little over four years ago when I resumed riding after a 30+ year hiatus from cycling.

I expected getting back into shape would be difficult. But by 2017 it seemed like I was making no progress despite a lot of hard work. Turned out I had thyroid cancer, after a long bout with Hashimoto's, an auto-immune disease that attacks the thyroid. Thyroid supplement medication helped. But eventually I needed surgery and a long period of gradually increasing the thyroid supplement. Took almost all of 2019 to get the balance right.

Some loss of energy is inevitable. Testosterone production decreases. Few doctors will authorize using testosterone, human growth hormone, etc., to compensate for loss due to aging. They'll usually tell us it's an inevitable consequence of aging, so get used to it.

There are readily available supplements that can help some folks, but there's also a lot of overpriced junk and woo out there. Takes a lot of reading and some experimenting to find what works. And it's not without risks. Messing around with the endocrine system is always a risk. I'm probably trading an increased risk of bone density loss and cancer in exchange for better energy for bicycling. I'll take that risk. But I don't do so lightly.

And in a few years I'll probably accept the inevitable and be happy to just ride my bike at all, if only puttering around 8-10 mph.
Old 11-18-19, 11:42 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
You can always go to a trike, and then an electric assist trike. Keep getting out there, if you set you rust!!!!!!!!!!

With an electric assist trike there is really no reason that you ever have to quit riding.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-24-19 at 06:56 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-19-19, 05:22 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
Just enjoy your riding and don't compare yourself with other riders......certainly not internet riders
Well yes, and no. I'd say don't compare yourself to other unrealistic riders like Chris Froome if you're someone in your 60s. On the other hand, other riders in your age group (or older) can be of great encouragement and influence, especially when you feel you've gotten too old or out of shape to continue riding.
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I am 71, have had back surgery and loss of muscle mass due to nerve damage. So far this year I have clocked 1061 miles and I still have a month and a half to reach 1200.
Don't let a number stop you from riding if that is what you enjoy. If you need to use an e-bike than that is what is right for you. There are a lot of people on the internet that will tell you what bike brand, color, accessories, etc, is correct but the "correct" anything is what is right for you. If you enjoy riding than don't listen to any nay-sayers and just go ride. Be safe.
Frank.
The only naysayers I'd experienced would be those in the medical community. Then again they have liability, and will always err towards being overly cautious. The rest is just advice, and there's nothing wrong with that. Simply take it, or leave it.
Originally Posted by canklecat
Too many variables to generalize.

I'm stronger now at 62 than I was a little over four years ago when I resumed riding after a 30+ year hiatus from cycling.

I expected getting back into shape would be difficult. But by 2017 it seemed like I was making no progress despite a lot of hard work. Turned out I had thyroid cancer, after a long bout with Hashimoto's, an auto-immune disease that attacks the thyroid. Thyroid supplement medication helped. But eventually I needed surgery and a long period of gradually increasing the thyroid supplement. Took almost all of 2019 to get the balance right.

Some loss of energy is inevitable. Testosterone production decreases. Few doctors will authorize using testosterone, human growth hormone, etc., to compensate for loss due to aging. They'll usually tell us it's an inevitable consequence of aging, so get used to it.

There are readily available supplements that can help some folks, but there's also a lot of overpriced junk and woo out there. Takes a lot of reading and some experimenting to find what works. And it's not without risks. Messing around with the endocrine system is always a risk. I'm probably trading an increased risk of bone density loss and cancer in exchange for better energy for bicycling. I'll take that risk. But I don't do so lightly.

And in a few years I'll probably accept the inevitable and be happy to just ride my bike at all, if only puttering around 8-10 mph.
If that's true then you have the last of the old-fashioned doctors. Get rid of him and seek someone better educated in 21st century medicine. TRT treatment is not just a viable health procedure, but acceptable within the medical community. In fact, many doctors now specialize in TRT and GH replacement.
Old 11-19-19, 07:07 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Recumbents aren't just for old folks, they're for any age. I'm your age, and I've been riding them for over 20 years. I still love my lowracers and plan to ride them for at least another decade. Someday when I can no longer balance one, there's always 3 wheels...

Old 11-19-19, 07:57 AM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I'm 67, rode 2300 miles this year Many here, my age and older have done lots more. Cycling will be one of the last things I give up. Sold my sailboat last year, just too old and stiff to be running around on the foredeck in a good wind, gave my longboard skate board to a kid down the road, don't go up on roofs anymore, downhill skiing is boring as I'm too afraid to go fast.. For me, its easier to balance on a bike when your moving then most any other activity and I'm prone to mild vertigo. I'm not aggressive on downhills, am downright cautious, but do fine otherwise and I'm faster now then I've been since restarting riding some 15 years ago. Retirement helps. Where I live, there are some great trails and logging roads that I usually ride in the fall. This year I found myself thinking about my safety when I'm 10 miles from nowhere on a road no one else would be on for a few days, falls could be life threatening. when you ride alone, as I usually do. That"s the kind of thing that ageing makes me consider, but I can't see stopping., just adapting. I do ride a lot more upright then most, bad neck and back, but cycling helps by strengthening core muscles. Cycling, swimming, hiking and x-country skiing, all low impact and keep the Drs. at bay.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 11-19-19, 07:58 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Another 71 yo. I too have begun to feel the difference in the last few years but I notice plenty of people my age and older still cranking much faster than me. I am hoping to continue riding through the decade and am keeping my eye on ebike developments to help me into my 80s. But Sh** happens when you get older. If something takes out biking maybe walking or swimming will still be possible. I will be really devastated if I can't read at some point.
Old 11-19-19, 08:56 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
When you can't get the bike past the 2 to 3mph required to keep it upright, then you are too old.
Likes For fly135:
Old 11-19-19, 09:26 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
At 64, I recently realized I can't do the things I used to do. Now, I ride shorter distances, ride a little slower, use a lower gear when standing on steep hills. Makes me wonder what the future will be like. Recumbent? E-bike? There will come a day when I'm too old to ride at all. Alternative sports? Shuffleboard? Walking? Blogging?
Don't let your age keep you off the bike. I did my first MS150 at age 64 (getting ready to do my 10th in March). Since then, I've completed several years of 10,000+ annual miles. The last weekend of October, I completed my 6th consecutive, 230 mile, Cross Florida bike ride. I'm 73 and we had two females on the ride older than me. One was 76 the other was 79. Although the 79 year old struggled some on the last day, they both completed the ride. The girl in my avatar, standing next to me, is Amanda Coker. I rode with her many, many times when she was on her HAMR challenge to break the world record for most miles ridden on a bicycle in a single year. BTW, she did break the record by almost 10,000. As long as your body is telling you that you can still ride, do it!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 11-19-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-19-19, 10:07 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Not trying to be flippant, but the day I can't ride my bike is the day that I am too old.
Correct answer!

Closing in on 70 and looks like I'll hit 5,000 miles this year, which is several hundred miles further than recent years. Increased distance aided by retirement.
Old 11-19-19, 10:13 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
"Too old"? Not there yet at 65 yo. My stock answer is "as long as I'm physically able to ride, I'm not too old." We'll see how that goes.

FWIW, I'm retiring in a couple weeks (but who's counting?) and am aiming to get back into randonneuring with an eye to riding the next PBP (2023). I'll only be 69 yo, so...
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 11-19-19, 10:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
My then 8 y.o. stepdaughter was diagnosed 25 years ago with brain cancer. So the doctors cut out part of her brain and blasted the rest with radiation and chemo. She's vision impaired, hearing impaired and can't balance. If she can ride, you can ride (if you really want to).

Likes For tcs:
Old 11-19-19, 01:48 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
If you keep riding and don't have any major health setbacks, you should be good up to about 85. I don't know anyone personally over 85 who still rides. but there are some people who do.

Lower gears make sense for most riders.

One problem is that if you are sick or have an injury, it is harder to get back in shape after a period of inactivity. You lose muscle tone and lung capacity.
Likes For ironwood:
Old 11-19-19, 02:58 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
There is a group of guys in my club who tell everyone they're in the "40 club," because they were born in 1940. That means as of this year they're all 79 years old. Most of them can still average 18-19 mph on a 30+ mile club ride.
Old 11-19-19, 10:02 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
There is, of course, an alternative to growing old and no longer being the cyclist we once were.

Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.
Old 11-19-19, 11:34 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I met this dude like 25 years ago. He was 65 at the time and I thought it was old then. Now not so much ha ha!

This guy since the day I met him, he has pretty much dressed the same. Actually this helmet is a new looking improvement of what he was wearing when we met. He was riding a bike called a Zuno that he picked up at a yard sale for $60. Never heard of Zuno but it was Columbus steel tubing and actually a really nice bike but the never cleaned it. He kept the bar tape hanging off and would not fix it. His bike looked thrashed as far as appearance but that thing rolled. Kept the drive train clean and hubs well maintained.

I even offered to buy bar tape for his bike but he said no, he liked it that way. I asked why, he said if he looked fast, others would expect him to be fast!

And yes, at 65 when we met, he was fast. He caught us on a ride from behind. We chatted for a minute or so then he said, Bye kiddies!" and dropped us like bad habits. No way could we keep up. He did the same ride most times and on the 20 mile ride, he averaged 24 MPH at best. I would not believe it but busting my young bawls, no way could I keep up. So yeah, I believed him!

One day, a local bike shop had their team out on a ride. We ran into them at the coast, about 20 of them all in the same uniforms looking pretty spiffy. Jack rolled up and we chatted for a bit. Just when the team was about to roll, Jack said,"well I'm going to roll out with these guys to see if I can keep up!".

I said, "you take it easy on them Jack." I said it loud enough so that the dudes from the team could hear me. Yes, I did, mainly because they looked and acted like a bunch of arrogant you know whats!

A couple guys looked over and me and smirked at what I said. I didn't say a thing but yeah punk, keep smirking!

They all rolled out together, then I rolled out about 5 minutes after. Down the road I saw the team at a park refilling their bottles. I stopped and asked, "where's the old guy?".

The same dudes that smirked said, "wow, that old dude flew away and left us behind!".

This guys was 65 when we met him 23 years ago.

Last time we saw him out on the bike, it was a bent for the last couple years we saw him at age 86 last I heard. Sadly we haven't seen him over the last year and last time his mind did seem to wander so maybe he is still alive, just not allowed to ride.

Almost made it to 90 out there!

Dude was, is a bad azz!

Likes For TheDudeIsHere:
Old 11-20-19, 02:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
At 64, I recently realized I can't do the things I used to do. Now, I ride shorter distances, ride a little slower, use a lower gear when standing on steep hills. Makes me wonder what the future will be like. Recumbent? E-bike? There will come a day when I'm too old to ride at all. Alternative sports? Shuffleboard? Walking? Blogging?
Did you have an accident or serious health issue to make you slow down at 64?
Old 11-20-19, 07:10 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Well, there were several things. I have been inline skating almost as long as I have been cycling, but my technique was wrong. Skating is more fun than cycling, but more dangerous. My bad technique was causing knee pain; my doc told me to strengthen it. This temporarily solved my knee pain but caused leg soreness. Then, I fell while skating, and went into physical therapy for my arm. But I was overdoing the knee strengthening and stretching my arm too much. I finally figured out my problems: quit skating, knee heals; stop overdoing knee therapy, legs recover; scale back arm therapy, arm recovers. Sometimes physicians don't know everything.
Old 11-20-19, 01:28 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
At 74 I just returned to biking a few months ago, at the urging of an old friend from work. I wouldn't have done it alone but with a buddy it really helps. I'm riding my 1992 trek 930 with some slightly thinner combo tires that are great for where we ride, the Capital Trail between Richmond and Williamsburg, a 50-mile paved, safe trail alongside State Rte. 5, a 'Virginia By-Way'. We just completed our fourth ride, 16 miles this time, after missing last week, but the plan is to do one every week. We both also take one-hour rides around our neighborhoods in-between just for the 'seat-time' and to stay engaged in cycling. Even when I was in a bike club years ago I didn't go on rides this long every week, and both of us are really improving. Today was brisk, 50F with a spanking breeze which was a tailwind on the way out and a headwind on the way back. Still, we noted that our time had improved from the first time we did the 16 miler to about 1 hr, 45 min. Not earth-shattering at all, and plenty of riders pass us (okay, all of them pass on, including girls on touring 3-spds) but we're enjoying it and getting some good exercise.
Another thing I have noted - half the riders I've seen on this trail were seniors, and they were actually riding real bikes and doing great! As a previous poster said, don't let the number of your age get you down - it means nothing. We all age differently, and if you enjoy cycling, do it for as long as you can!
Old 11-20-19, 02:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Well, there were several things. I have been inline skating almost as long as I have been cycling, but my technique was wrong. Skating is more fun than cycling, but more dangerous. My bad technique was causing knee pain; my doc told me to strengthen it. This temporarily solved my knee pain but caused leg soreness. Then, I fell while skating, and went into physical therapy for my arm. But I was overdoing the knee strengthening and stretching my arm too much. I finally figured out my problems: quit skating, knee heals; stop overdoing knee therapy, legs recover; scale back arm therapy, arm recovers. Sometimes physicians don't know everything.
No they do not. Nevertheless, don't forget the most basic body healing factors: rest and nutrition. Provided those two major things are sufficient (and assuming an otherwise healthy individual), the body will heal itself. No medicine man necessary
Old 11-20-19, 03:38 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Not trying to be flippant, but the day I can't ride my bike is the day that I am too old.
Yup. "You don't stop riding because you got too old, you get too old because you stopped riding."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.