Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First speed wobble crash

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First speed wobble crash

Old 06-11-21, 01:26 PM
Porknz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What a good reminder!

Started reading this, selectively so as not to give myself a mental hurdle too (I don't think I often get above 30, so there's that), but it seems like a great reminder for me to get gloves. I have been thinking about it because I grip with my left hand and have to remind myself frequently to switch my grip to lesson the numbness I get (G.I. Joe grip) but aside from something with gel pads for that, I am reminded it will help protect my hands when I fall. Any suggestions?
Old 06-11-21, 06:02 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Scary stuff! Touch would I’ve never experienced a speed wobble on any bike. It seems to me like an unlucky combination of mass and frequency leading to an undamped resonant oscillation. If I ever experienced a speed wobble like this I would never trust that bike again. But a different rider on the same bike with a slightly different mass (lighter or heavier) might never have an issue as it would change the resonant frequency.

I agree with the poster above who mentioned that wider, lower pressure tyres are likely to help damp out this kind of resonance. They certainly feel more stable to me at high speed. My current road bike (Giant Defy) on 32c tyres at 65-70 psi is rock solid on descents. But I do hope I don’t think about this thread next time I’m bombing down a hill!
Old 06-12-21, 10:12 AM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclingpotter
I have just bought the Trek Domane SL7 and have now had two cases of speed wobble in the first 8 weeks. Both around 50kph, both with cross winds but both controllable by reducing speed and both terrifying. I have been cycling for years and am used to descending at higher speeds than this. I have changed my seat position and height to take more wight off my bars and have changed my bar grip (both times happened when on my hoods). After the second time I have been reading a lot and have learnt about squeezing the top tube with my knees etc but am not looking forward to my next down hill with a cross wind. It almost makes me want to go back to my Cannondale SuperSix Evo - which was a lot twitchier but ever subjected me to a speed wobble.
It has been almost ten months since that crash and I have not recovered mentally from it. I refuse to go faster than 50 km on any downhill, the risk is too great but I do miss the thrill and excitement of downhills. This is the 24th bike I have owned and never had a problem before this. It is also the best bike I have ever owned in terms of comfort and handling. The easiest thing would be to sell it it as suggested to you above but I really do love this bike. My compromise is to slow down on the downhills and enjoy the rest of the ride. There is lots of good information of why it happens, but the solutions seem more elusive. What works for one person doesn't work for another.

I wish I had a fix for you but what works for me (slowing down) may not be the solution you want to hear.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 06-12-21, 10:36 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
If you read the sales pitch for the Trek Domane you will understand why speed wobble is more likely with the Domane then most other road bikes.

It's the IsoSpeed technology that gives it that smooth ride. It allows the frame to "move with the road". We know a stiff frame reduces the likelihood of speed wobble, And limits the amplitude as well, Sometimes enough to allow us to keep control. But too stiff makes for a jarring ride.

It might be prudent to limit your speed to 50 kph down hill. Perhaps have a 2'nd bike when you feel speedy.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-12-21 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 06-12-21, 11:56 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
If you read the sales pitch for the Trek Domane you will understand why speed wobble is more likely with the Domane then most other road bikes.

It's the IsoSpeed technology that gives it that smooth ride. It allows the frame to "move with the road". We know a stiff frame reduces the likelihood of speed wobble, And limits the amplitude as well, Sometimes enough to allow us to keep control. But too stiff makes for a jarring ride.

It might be prudent to limit your speed to 50 kph down hill. Perhaps have a 2'nd bike when you feel speedy.
I don’t agree. If anything the damper would limit oscillations of the frame and change the mechanical resonance. Think what happens if you were to put a rubber piece in the middle of a tuning fork.

The stiffness of the frame is not all that important as is the frequency of mechanical resonance is determined by lengths of tubing among other things. Everything on the bike is part of a system - frame, wheels, rider, location of mass etc… if it was as simple as a damper in a frame or not, or stiffness of a frame then solutions would be obvious and they simply aren’t.

You have to do a deep dive into Laplace mathematics and mechanical characterization and simulation to get this right. None of this is intuitive. In point of fact, intuitive solutions are as counterproductive as they are helpful.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 06-12-21 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 06-12-21, 03:14 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I don’t agree. If anything the damper would limit oscillations of the frame and change the mechanical resonance. Think what happens if you were to put a rubber piece in the middle of a tuning fork.
it depends how much damping there is in that flexible part. It could actually act more as an un-damped spring, which would tend to make things worse at the resonant frequency.

This makes me wonder about bikes like the Specialized Roubaix. Early versions of that had an undamped spring above the headset. The latest version also has a damper.
Old 06-12-21, 08:53 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by PeteHski
it depends how much damping there is in that flexible part. It could actually act more as an un-damped spring, which would tend to make things worse at the resonant frequency.

This makes me wonder about bikes like the Specialized Roubaix. Early versions of that had an undamped spring above the headset. The latest version also has a damper.
My point is this: it’s unknowable without knowledge of the entire system at resonance at that instant in time and without some knowledge of the impulse that set the system into resonance.

None of this is due to a single cause or, by now, all of those things would have been eliminated and there would be no resonance/under damped instances in bicycles and this would never happen.

This stuff is always complex and multidimensional. That’s why it’s hard to isolate, replicate and pin down. Every time this happens, I’m sure it scares the crap out the bike manufacturer’s lawyers and engineers (been there done that - different industry). The big guys are going to have a lot better handle on simulation and analysis of what causes this in their bikes than the little guys.
Old 06-12-21, 09:29 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
One thing I've noticed lately is my bike is much less wobbly if I keep one leg down and one up (as if you are going into a turn). For some reason I seems to stabilize my bike when going downhill. I suspect either the leg is acting like a brace or the center of gravity is lowering.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 06-13-21, 12:08 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I've been plagued by this for quite a few years, across several bikes and across road and TT position. In my case it's always down hill and for me I think 3 components are present when it's likely to happen. There is a road surface component, certain types of regular & higher frequency bumpiness, think rumble strips or roughed up chip seal. There is a visual component. On a wide open descent I feel more prone to wobble than on a tree lined, visually closed in road. And there is a mental component. Anticipating the onset of a wobble on every down hill I'm certain leads to more tension.

Two simple things that really helped me (other than just avoiding some routes, which I do). First is having my head up on descents. Second to a much lesser degree is the standard knees on the top tube. I would also agree that at times I feel more stable with one foot down, or even pedaling.

On the positive side. My current frame, a Felt FR1, is the most stable I've felt in years. It also happens to have a very stiff front end in a sprint, coincidence or related? I'm using HED Jet wheels with 25's. Together a soft but fast feel, a lot of road roughness doesn't make it to the bars. On this bike I can actually tuck on down hills again! Something I have not had the confidence to do in a long time.
Old 06-13-21, 04:27 PM
PeteHski

My point is this: it’s unknowable without knowledge of the entire system at resonance at that instant in time and without some knowledge of the impulse that set the system into resonance.

None of this is due to a single cause or, by now, all of those things would have been eliminated and there would be no resonance/under damped instances in bicycles and this would never happen.

This stuff is always complex and multidimensional. That’s why it’s hard to isolate, replicate and pin down. Every time this happens, I’m sure it scares the crap out the bike manufacturer’s lawyers and engineers (been there done that - different industry). The big guys are going to have a lot better handle on simulation and analysis of what causes this in their bikes than the little guys.
I agree it is complex. But if you add any undamped spring into a system it is likely to make things worse rather than better if resonance occurs. Now the elastomers used in the Domane frame may well have some level of self damping so they may not be a problem. But we do know that this bike is not immune to speed wobbles, whatever the cause.
Old 06-13-21, 05:05 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Unless I missed it in the thread, did anyone mention spoke tension?
Old 06-13-21, 06:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
3 answers, damp the vibration, change the frequency, and pedaling faster can do that, 3 and most
important, loosen up. Not only will staying loose help stop the vibration, you’re not going to crash from the wobs unless you tighten up and add to the problem.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-13-21, 07:06 PM
JohnJ80

I agree it is complex. But if you add any undamped spring into a system it is likely to make things worse rather than better if resonance occurs. Now the elastomers used in the Domane frame may well have some level of self damping so they may not be a problem. But we do know that this bike is not immune to speed wobbles, whatever the cause.
Do you really think Trek engineering didn’t think of that and simulate it before they committed huge money to molds for the frames? If only it where that simple.

Again, it’s unknowable until all the masses, springs, damping rug and resonances are identified and the nature and frequency domain composition of the input impulse response are known.

The reason we keep seeing this stuff happen is largely because of simplistic solutions that don’t account for multiple effects simultaneously.

So no, I don’t agree. You simply have no idea what the effect of their frame components are.
Old 06-14-21, 06:34 AM
PeteHski

Do you really think Trek engineering didn’t think of that and simulate it before they committed huge money to molds for the frames? If only it where that simple.

Again, it’s unknowable until all the masses, springs, damping rug and resonances are identified and the nature and frequency domain composition of the input impulse response are known.

The reason we keep seeing this stuff happen is largely because of simplistic solutions that don’t account for multiple effects simultaneously.

So no, I don’t agree. You simply have no idea what the effect of their frame components are.
You've lost me now. I wasn't disagreeing with anything you've said. You stated in response to what someone else posted. "I don’t agree. If anything the damper would limit oscillations of the frame and change the mechanical resonance".
I just pointed out that it's actually a spring, not a damper (although it may have some self-damping). Neither of us would know what the effect of that additional spring is, we can only speculate. My own experience of undamped springs in the automotive world is that they make resonance effects worse. I would have thought that was quite a reasonable view, no? It's one of the primary reasons why dampers even exist.

Trek engineering might not have looked that closely at resonance, presuming it wasn't a problem in their field testing. But if they did, then it didn't really help the OP and at least one other poster who had a problem with this bike.
Old 06-14-21, 08:52 PM
JohnJ80

You've lost me now. I wasn't disagreeing with anything you've said. You stated in response to what someone else posted. "I don’t agree. If anything the damper would limit oscillations of the frame and change the mechanical resonance".
I just pointed out that it's actually a spring, not a damper (although it may have some self-damping). Neither of us would know what the effect of that additional spring is, we can only speculate. My own experience of undamped springs in the automotive world is that they make resonance effects worse. I would have thought that was quite a reasonable view, no? It's one of the primary reasons why dampers even exist.

Trek engineering might not have looked that closely at resonance, presuming it wasn't a problem in their field testing. But if they did, then it didn't really help the OP and at least one other poster who had a problem with this bike.
its unknowable because it’s a complex system and everything interacts. There won’t be an intuitive answer because it’s going to a take deep dive into the math. That’s my point.
Old 06-17-21, 01:51 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
Glad you are okay, considering the circumstances. Thanks for posting this cautionary account too, and I hope you heal up fast. I try to clamp my knees on the top tube but I forget at times. This has never happened to me and I hope it never does but very interesting to read through the responses.
Old 06-17-21, 03:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Now the elastomers used in the Domane frame ...
FYI, there are no elastomers used in the Domane frame. IsoSpeed is essentially the use of a pivot point to allow flex along longer sections of tubing.
Old 06-17-21, 03:49 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by WhyFi
FYI, there are no elastomers used in the Domane frame. IsoSpeed is essentially the use of a pivot point to allow flex along longer sections of tubing.
Ah okay, I see now. I'm not going to dare speculate on what effect that flex might or might not have on speed wobbles.
Old 06-17-21, 06:22 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Jeez! Six or seven times and you were still gutsy enough to get back on that bike? Wow, I am so glad you were not seriously injured. That could easily have been a disaster for you.

I had these high speed wobbles two or three times on different bikes. Scary as hell but I was lucky to never go down.

High speed wobble can be caused by so many things; fork, headset, wheel bearings, spokes, wind, speed, road surface, etc... and any combination of those and other things.

The Trek Domane has yet another set of considerations that have been hinted at but (unless I missed it) have not been specifically mentioned; the IsoSpeed decouplers. Never ridden with them, and I'm sure Trek researched the hell out of the design and implementation. But aren't the ones on the Sl6 adjustable? Is there some possibility that the ones on this particular bike are a little off?
Old 06-18-21, 01:09 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Unless I missed it in the thread, did anyone mention spoke tension?
early on.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-19-21, 11:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Had a scary wobble at 45+ MPH, it was caused by a fork that was not rigid enough. Replaced the fork with a new carbon one from a different manufacturer and no issues.

OP get your wheels trued and maybe some new rubber. Those would be cheap first steps.

Old 06-20-21, 10:06 AM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 326 Posts
Blakcloud. Do you recall what your tire pressure was on the ride when you encountered the wobble?
Old 06-20-21, 02:56 PM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by majmt
Blakcloud. Do you recall what your tire pressure was on the ride when you encountered the wobble?
Somewhere between 65 and 70 psi. The tires were Rene Herse Chinook Pass 28 mm extra light casings. This was on 25 mm internal Bontrager Paradigm rims (stock wheels).
Old 06-20-21, 03:40 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've never had a speed wobble, ever, and I've descended at 65 mph, lots and lots at 40+. Thing is, I ALWAYS descend pedals level, butt off the saddle, knees with death grip on top tube - and old style diamond frames with level top tubes, the real bummer about the new frame designs. Yes, that's a slightly tiring position, but nothing as tiring as skiing bumps. One should be able to hold that position for at least 30', no problem. When one tucks at speed, hands in the hooks, butt off the saddle and moved back, chin 2" off the stem, elbows tucked under the belly until they almost meet. At 40, that's about 1 mph slower than on my clip-ons.

If it's a fast corner, I'll drop the inside foot, but I still press on the top tube with the outside knee. I never stick a knee out at speed. I know people do it, but I prefer to touch the brake or sit up rather than go for aero drag with the knee.
Shouldn't it be the outside foot? Also, the knee is stuck out into the turn to shift the center of mass, not for aero braking if I am not mistaken.

I don't grip the top tube with my knees, I have my "butt off the saddle and moved back" but I keep the saddle stabilized in between my thighs. Also, I just take the weight off the saddle but keep almost like sitting on it. With my hands in drops only with light grip, putting pretty well no body weight on the bars.
I have elbows well bent, to let the bike pivot at BB point under me over the road unevenness. I put my weight on the saddle only when I try to increase the speed by pedaling. Essentially I let the bike do what it wants and only keep the saddle sliding side grip to steady it laterally. I believe I once felt it starting to or wanting to oscillate and maybe that's why I now keep it lightly squeezed btw legs as a precaution quite consciously.

That's also relaxed style how I drive cars, only keep light touch on steering wheel, most steering done with one hand only. My brother holds the steering wheel with both hands (as they teach you in driving school) and steers the car all the time, which before long makes me motion sick because modern cars are quite sensitive to such steering (lower profile tires transfer lateral motion quite well). I doubt a horse would like you to ride him like that

I never had serious wobble developing on bike, my top speed is ~ 40 mph and hills around where I ride are not that long that I wouldn't be able to maintain the above position. I have only ever seen the speed wobble on TV motorbikes GP races on tracks, I take it, that is the same phenomenon (it happens in almost every race to somebody and they are not able to eliminate it).
And because of that, I associate the wobble with motorbikes or bikes that are tuned up to max, like thoroughbred horses. The geometry of racing bike with its steep fork angle is like asking for something like wobble (probably wrong assumption) but weirdly it happens on Domane which has more relaxed geometry that makes it more stable (as I gather from eying it last fall as prospective buyer), than your top range typical bike.

The guy in that video
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
At 0:28...fugging hell...
doesn't seem to go too fast at all. If that were to happen to me, I'd seriously consider selling the bike and buying something else.

Last edited by vane171; 06-20-21 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-20-21, 05:57 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
it’s an excellent example both of how any bike is susceptible and how it can become uncontrollable for even the best riders.
'Best' can well be misleading here. These riders often sacrifice safety to highest speed. Like they sit on the top tube, which is now against race regulations I understand. Here she obviously didn't keep the saddle stabilized between her thighs, else it couldn't oscillate like it does in the video.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.