Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Big guy recommendations?

Old 03-17-21, 04:57 PM
pottjar34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Big guy recommendations?

6’6” 360lbs bike Recommendations? IDC what type of bike. My inseam is 36” and X-Seam is 52”. Typically a trip to the local bike shop is useless since they never have bikes my size to look at. I do own a bike that fits me well, but the rims/tires don’t last long. Can they be upgraded? I am working on losing weight, but need a bike for where I am now, not where I’d like to be. Ty
Old 03-17-21, 07:29 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Very vague question as we are all gonna say cruiser,road,mtb,cross,gravel....like going to a gun website and saying, hey guy, recommend a gun for me....little context for us and folks here can help for sure🤪
Old 03-21-21, 05:29 AM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I’m also 6’6” with 36” inseam and my first bike was a Fuji “mountain “ bike that was $499 at Performance about 3.5 years ago.
if your only problem with your current bike is wheels, get new ones. FSA Vision has no weight limit on their wheels, or get a set made for a tandem.
Old 03-21-21, 03:35 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmassey338
I’m also 6’6” with 36” inseam and my first bike was a Fuji “mountain “ bike that was $499 at Performance about 3.5 years ago.
if your only problem with your current bike is wheels, get new ones. FSA Vision has no weight limit on their wheels, or get a set made for a tandem.
This ^^

New wheels are an easy buy and upgrade. Spend the money on something quality and when/if you end up upgrading your bike, carry them over with you. They then become an investment. It's also likely the best option because the bike market is poo ATM. I see stories of back orders carrying for over 12 months now, so new bike deals will be fairly non existent and the used market is commanding stupid prices.
Old 03-22-21, 09:41 AM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
If you have the budget, look at Zinn Clydesdale....they have a line of non custom bikes for big tall folks that is terrific, but pretty pricy.....I have their Clydesdale 64cm titanium frame with Ultegra DI2 which is a Road+ / Gravel setup. Rated for 450lb...Very careful design and selection of everything for a big / tall person. The wheels are bombproof! Hubs are heavy duty 2 bearings per side on the front and 6 total bearings in the rear, 36 hole......butted spokes, velocity rims....I'm 6'6" and 280 and this bike is just awesome......

Now the down side.....thier economy model is a little under $5k......Mine was about $6k with the DI2.....

There IS a bike that Zinn designed called a KHS.....steel frame...very similar in many respects to the above models, for about $2K......check his site out......
Old 03-22-21, 10:10 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
There are some high powered electric bikes that use motor bike wheels. Somebody should come out with a pedal version. Of course, then you would need a large enough frame.

I have thought about the idea of making one, but I probably wont.
Old 03-22-21, 12:28 PM
avidindoorsman0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 6'7 340 and I just picked up a Surly Disc Trucker. I plan on upgrading the wheels but have faith that on a standard road or trail, I don't have anything to be worried about for a while. I'll make sure to inspect my wheels everytime I go out.

Ideally, i'll upgrade them to tandem bike wheels that can support 500lbs but it's hard to find the parts for that right now.
Old 03-24-21, 07:06 AM
longpete

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Wheels for Ebikes go up to 150 kg eg DT Swiss H....series
Mavic EDeemax allows 180 kg.
Ryde Andra also has some very strong rims.
Old 03-26-21, 04:58 AM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
6'8", 220 lb. I have a Surly Disc Trucker for 5 years now. Did have to replace rear wheel but otherwise very robust bike.

Having said that, am considering one of the Zinn options mentioned above as the 64 cm Disc Trucker is just a bit too small for me. The KHS or Clydesdale models that Zinn offers have longer cranks and different frame geometry, not to mention just plain bigger sizes.
Old 03-28-21, 06:55 PM
dfritch

Bikes: Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I’ve ridden Velosity Deep V rims for years, even at 385lbs. They are solid and have many different styles.
Old 04-05-21, 09:05 PM
Giant321

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At 6'8" and 280-320 pounds I've been riding a Giant Defy 2 for years.
Old 04-18-21, 10:24 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I would echo the previous responses on the Surlys. They make XXL framesets and most can be built up and configured for different riding styles, preferences and purposes. Also, one recommendation that I have is to either buy a set of wheels or have a set of wheels built that have at least 36 spokes. I'm not as much of a clyde anymore since I've dropped over 40 lbs but all my bikes have wheels with 36 spokes. I would recommend Shimano Deore or XT hubs laced up to some solid double wall rims.
Old 06-30-21, 08:35 PM
tdipail

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts
A XXL Gary Fisher Mullet frame is very beefy and a good starting platform