Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a chain tool on your rides?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you carry a chain tool on your rides?

Old 06-17-21, 09:00 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, both my Hero Kit multitool and Spin Doctor Rescue 16 have chain tools. Needed 'em a couple of times on group rides when friends' chains popped apart. I carry spare quick links too.

The Spin Doctor Rescue 16 chain tool is as good as my standalone shop chain tool. And the handle/screw doodad is also a very handy spoke wrench.
Old 06-18-21, 04:09 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
My Crank Bros M17 has a chain breaker. I run tubulars and carry a small 2oz bottle of Stan's for punctures. The chain breaker fits the valve core so I can remove it to squirt the sealant in. Had to do that once and it saved me time by not having to swap on my spare tire.

About 3 years ago I was riding an '86 Schwinn Le Tour I had just restored. The old freewheel locked up for a split second and threw the chain off so bad that it ripped the RD off and twisted the hanger beyond repair. I cut the chain and set it up as a single speed to limp 15 miles home. It was an early Saturday morning out in the country in the middle of nowhere so I would have been screwed without it.

I also reused a Shimano chain pin like you're not supposed to do. It came apart on a ride but luckily I had a spare pin in my saddle bag. The chain breaker once again kept me from being stranded.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 06-18-21, 05:39 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I used to carry a chain tool and a whole assortment of other tools and spare parts but I still never felt secure enough so now I simply carry a second bike(Dahon folder)in my backpack.
It saves me the shame of having to phone a friend or family member once every 16 years or so when a chain breaks
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-18-21, 05:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
In that instance, you didn't need a chain tool, just a roll of tape (or a zip tie or tie off the cable, etc.).

Tape- very handy for lots of fixes.
Yep, breaking the chain would not be my choice. The traditional fix is to position the derailleur under the cog you want, then secure the tensioned cable under a bottle cage bolt.
Old 06-18-21, 06:08 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I don’t have one in every under saddle bag but I do have two “Gerber CoolTools” (the one with an adjustable wrench, hex keys, socket wrenches AND integral chain tool). They don’t seem to be in current production but saw a few on EBay. I’ll concede that the need for a chain tool is pretty unlikely and even tho I have the capability, if I have a chain issue, I’m much more likely to reach for my cell phone!
Old 06-18-21, 09:32 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Only when i had a tandem. Never needed one on the road in 40 years. Used to carry a spoke truing tool for many years but have given that up too.

Old 06-18-21, 11:29 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
I needed it one time on the road. I was lucky; the multitool I had in my seat bag at the time included a chain tool.

Then I figured out the cause of that problem was a gunked-up chain. I started taking better care of my chains, and stopped caring if the multitool had a chain tool.
Old 06-18-21, 12:46 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
No chain tool here. I've had several flats but never had a chain break on any of my bikes... mountain, road or gravel. If a chain ever breaks... I'll buy a new one.
Old 06-19-21, 09:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Welshboy
If so, what one? I'm interested in something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket that will work on 10-speed and 11-speed chains (both with a master link). I have workshop quality chain tools at home but would like a quality chain tool for day rides and general riding. Thanks in advance.
Of course I do. There is one included in my multi tool. It is only used to get rid of a busted link, to put in a master link I carry at all times.
Old 06-19-21, 10:03 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I do.
Never needed it.
But loaned it to friend one ride.

Old 06-19-21, 10:55 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I carry one & have used it to shorten chain to single-speed after catastrophic RD events.
Been there, done that. About 20 years ago a vicious stick jumped up from the road, attacked, and ripped off my RD. I pulled out my late lamented Ritchey CPR-9 (see below), shortened the chain to a single-speed, and rode 12 miles back home. I lost that tool when my bike (with seat bag) was stolen about 5 years ago. About a year after that, I was out riding with a buddy when *he* was attacked by a vicious stick. Maybe it was the same stick. We didn't have a chain tool and his wife was out of town so he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and ordered an Uber. I rode home.

Old 06-19-21, 12:18 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
I've carried a small compact chain tool for 35+ years, but never used it except at home in my garage.

About 40 years ago my car broke down in the middle of nowhere at about 1 AM - a problem I could have fixed with just a Phillips screwdriver. Ever since I carry a basic tool kit in every car, and enough tools in my seat bag to insure that I won't have to walk home (And a phone and a $20 bill if all else fails.) The funny part is that I have never had a car or bike breakdown since - but the tools are still there.
Originally Posted by genejockey
The presence of tools could be preventing breakdowns. You can test this hypothesis by leaving them at home some time and seeing if your car or bike breaks down.....
You guys will all love this . . . .

While climbing one of the longer hills on the local bike trail this morning I snapped the chain. Pulled into the shade, got out my 35 yr-old chain tool, cut out a couple links and rode home. Earlier in the ride the rear der hung and shifted rough a couple times - I figured it was time to put it up on the stand when I got home and give it a good cleaning. Must have been the link starting to separate. I'm ordering a new KMC chain today.

But it does prove that carrying the tools does not magically prevent the problem.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 06-19-21, 08:21 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Been there, done that. About 20 years ago a vicious stick jumped up from the road, attacked, and ripped off my RD. I pulled out my late lamented Ritchey CPR-9 (see below), shortened the chain to a single-speed, and rode 12 miles back home. I lost that tool when my bike (with seat bag) was stolen about 5 years ago. About a year after that, I was out riding with a buddy when *he* was attacked by a vicious stick. Maybe it was the same stick. We didn't have a chain tool and his wife was out of town so he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and ordered an Uber. I rode home.

IKR, I would hate to lose mine.

One disconnected from a Crank Bros tool is only about 10g more, 'tho...

It depends on the type of riding being done, but these days folks are getting off the pavement more, & the odds of vicious stick encounters goes up.

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 06-19-21, 11:17 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
I have a purple one. PM me and it’s yours.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-20-21, 02:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,820 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
If a chain ever breaks... I'll buy a new one.
I think you missed the point here, lol. If your chain ever does break while out on a ride, unless you are lucky enough to be right next to a bike shop, you will be walking back.
Old 06-20-21, 07:05 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I have a purple one. PM me and it’s yours.
Thanks. You should hold on to it--it's a classic. Purple is cool.
Old 06-20-21, 07:44 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Nope, I consider that a shop tool. Haven’t had a chain issue in 60 years of riding. Then again, my largest rear cluster is a 7 speed, and chains made for 7 or less gears are pretty robust.
Tim
Old 06-20-21, 09:23 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,583 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I think you missed the point here, lol. If your chain ever does break while out on a ride, unless you are lucky enough to be right next to a bike shop, you will be walking back.
Not if you have a mobile phone/reception, a friend and/ or a AAA card.

(Exclusions apply: Mountain and Gravel riders may not be covered unless near access roads, so they should carry a full tool kit. Batteries not included, not available in all areas, limit one per customer, definite statements are basically poop <- just like that one).

Old 06-20-21, 03:08 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
Sure. In 1980, my chain broke and all I needed was a tool to go on. Instead, because I only had dollar bills and wasn't near a bike store, and because I didn't have a lock with me (and didn't want to lock my new-to-me bike anyway,I had to beg some change from a passer-by, walk my bike until I found a pay phone, and call my wife for a ride home. Wasted most of a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

I have the space to carry a chain tool, and I probably lose more weight on rides than the tool itself weighs, so why not?
Old 06-20-21, 04:44 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A benefit of being old is that I know what's likely to happen when I'm on a ride. Including the things I'm not strong enough to break.

No chain tool. I do bring a few more tools when it's a family group ride, because then the likelihood of a mechanical is multiplied by the number of bikes.

An old Cyclo Rivoli isn't that much to carry.
Old 06-20-21, 05:17 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rsbob

(Exclusions apply: Mountain and Gravel riders may not be covered unless near access roads, so they should carry a full tool kit. Batteries not included, not available in all areas, limit one per customer, definite statements are basically poop <- just like that one).
Yeah I always make sure my friends are available to pick me up whenever I go riding. Or alternatively I just carry a tiny multi-tool that happens to include a chain tool. They also come in handy at home for shortening new chains etc. I wouldn't bother with a standalone chain tool as I don't use them often enough. The one on my Topeak multi-tool is pretty effective anyway. I wouldn't say it's an essential riding item, but it's a no-brainer to buy a multi-tool that includes one.
Old 06-20-21, 05:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I would much rather carry a chain tool and fix a broken chain then rely on my cell phone to call somebody to pick me up. It feels good to be self sufficient.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-20-21, 05:45 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would much rather carry a chain tool and fix a broken chain then rely on my cell phone to call somebody to pick me up. It feels good to be self sufficient.
+1
I would just feel like an ******* having to call someone to pick me up because I couldn't be bothered to carry some very simple tools. For me the bare minimum to avoid the call of shame is a compact multi-tool, chain quick-link, valve core, tube & pump.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-20-21, 06:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
There was a nutty thread awhile back where the poster insisted he didn't need to learn to fix a flat because he could call a family member! He felt no shame, doubled down on his position.FWIW, someone broke a chain on our club ride yesterday. Another rider had a chain tool and quick link, saved her bacon. Also saved other riders from abandoning their rides since they would not have left her alone in back of beyond.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-20-21, 09:00 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I carry a chain tool. I've let other people use it but have never needed to use it myself on a ride. When my chains have decided to break it has always been at a quick link.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.