Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Super Budget Brifter Pair (MicroNew, LTWOO, Sensah, Shimano)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 10:28 AM
kansascity 
Honorary Bicycle Rider

Bikes: N+1's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 38 Posts

Trying to compare the Super Budget Brifters available today (for sake of comparison limiting to 7 speed, but assuming this is similar for 7/8/9?). Needs to be Shimano RD compatible.

Current available in 7 speed version:
MicroNew (Microshift) SB-R472
LTWOO R2
Sensah R7
Shimano ST-A070
Old 06-19-21, 10:33 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
7 speed era was 80s into the early 90s it is 2021, not really much quality in 7 speed stuff.
Old 06-19-21, 12:03 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
There are some threads out there comparing Microshift to Shimano. Also some Microshift review videos on YouTube.

Type in Microshift STIS review into a search engine.
Old 06-19-21, 12:50 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Are Microshift and Micronew the same company? Or did Micronew rip off Microshift's IP? Has anyone here taken, say, the R7 brifters from each company apart and compared parts quality and tech?

Micronew's pricing is very attractive, but if they've pirated Microshift's stuff or used less durable materials, I want to stay away from them.
Old 06-19-21, 02:14 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Microshift is tried and true. Micronew appears to be a knock-off of Microshift. Just stick with the tried and true. I installed Microshift R9 shifters (which are functionally similar to the R7) onto both my kids' bikes and they work fine. Loud and positive shifts. Personally I don't like the fact that the shift paddle digs into my fingers when I am braking, but my kids don't seem bothered.

I've never used the Tourney A070, but they look very similar to the old Sora ST3300 7 speed brifters I retrofitted to my 1987 Centurion Ironman bike. They work just fine although the action is kind of crude feeling. On my wife's bike I retrofitted Shimano RSX A410 7 speed brifters. The RSX brifters have a more refined feel and action. The difference is like the switchgear on a GM car vs a Honda/Acura. But at the end of the day both cars get you where you are going and both cars are capable of going the distance. On the plus side, the Sora shifters have a reach adjustment screw. They are lighter and have a smaller body so they are good for smallish hands.

Oh yeah- the Tourney A070 has shift indicator windows. Sure, the hard core people will swear up and down that they always know which gear they are in, but you know what? that's not me and I'm not ashamed to admit that I want shift indicators.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 06-21-21, 07:35 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I'm pretty damn pleased with my Sensah 9spd. I got them super cheap (<$50) last summer and was pleasantly surprised. They felt just about like a SRAM, with just one lever. Admittedly, that one lever is finished pretty poorly compared to the big names and I don't know how long they'll last. If I ever saw the 7 (or 8, for that matter) speed version for a similar price, I'd jump on it.
Old 06-21-21, 08:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Microshift, yes. MicroNew has one less trim position on its front triple shifter. I think that the materials are comparable. Microshift stuff feels really great and the shifting is fine. I cannot comment on the shifter longevity, though...
Old 06-21-21, 10:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Ive had Microshift 7 and 9sp as well as Micronew 9sp.
Both work fine- the shifting is deliberate clicks vs subtle movements, just something thats different from Shimano STI.
I like the 2 shift paddle design of Microshift.

The US lead sales rep for Microshift was on a podcast(cyclingtips maybe?) about a year ago and spoke about why Microshift doesnt have the shift cable route under the bar tape on the 2 paddle shifters. Apparently its too big of an issue to overcome and not violate Shimano patents.
I think their 2 paddle design would be a lot more popular if cables were under tape.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-08-22, 06:46 AM
zachfromkc

Bikes: Late 80's Univega Arrowpace (Road) ; Early 70's Clara (Gravel Convert)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
The Sensah Ignites feel really good and shift really smoothly!
Old 02-08-22, 10:37 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I don't know anything about MicroNew, but I can report pretty good experiences with MicroShift.

I bought a set of 3x7 shifters for an old mountain bike that I fixed up for my son. Their price was very low. I did not have high expectations for their quality, but thought I'd give them a try. I was pretty impressed. They were easy to install and adjust, and they work fine for what they are. They don't seem super durable, but for light use they're fine.

I recently bought a set of R9 shift/brake levers and front and rear derailleurs (2x9) for a road bike I wanted to build up to sell. I would rate their quality as just one step behind Shimano. They're about equivalent to Sora or maybe Tiagra, for much less money. I don't like their ergonomics as well as any of the Shimano or Campy components I've used, but they are durable and quite functional. I think they're a great value. I like how this bike turned out so well, I might decide not to sell it, but keep it as a spare instead.