Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you buy beer/beverages for your lbs/mechanic/store?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you buy beer/beverages for your lbs/mechanic/store?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 05:17 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
The attitudes of entitlement and arrogance are only going to speed the eventual demise of bike shops everywhere. They are so comically clueless. Zero business sense whatsoever. They are oblivious and oblivious to their obliviousness.

It's almost like bike shop owners want to go out of business. The world is changing: adapt or else. The future of bike service and repair is mobile van service not brick and mortar stores.

Bike shops are finished. The nice ones are just staving off the inevitable.
Old 01-18-19, 09:44 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dynamicdamien
But not tipping as a matter of course just makes you an *******.

Especially at the bike shop.
I presume you tip the cashier at the gas station for ringing you up? At McDonalds, when you stop for your morning coffee? The meat guy at Whole Foods when picking up sirloin for your dinner? Someone got a printer off a shelf for you at Office Max, that's worth a tip right? Do you give the new car salesman a couple hundred bucks as a thank you?

Or maybe you should stop being a ****ty employer and pay your employees a fair wage with the labor rates I pay you to service my bike. If you can afford to own a bike shop, you can afford to pay a fair wage that doesn't require tipping. And for the record, the best service bars I go to, bartenders are definitely not playing favorites with the best tippers, because they are professionals doing an excellent job. The only time I see that crap is in dive bars that absolutely no one should be taking business lessons from.
Old 01-18-19, 10:01 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I have to say I have honestly never considered tipping a LBS employee or for that matter, an automotive mechanic. It seems to be a straightforward financial transaction that is covered by the shop fee. Either that is high enough or it is not but I should not be expected to supplement a mechanics income that way.

jefnvk makes the point that when you extrapolate such thinking outward you wind up tipping virtually everyone you did a transaction with.

I do tip wait staff but in part that is because their social interaction adds to the enjoyment of the meal. I also don't tip poor service. I don't expect a mechanic to "entertain" me in the same way - just fix the bike (for which I am already paying).

Some of the examples of tipping for kindness sound like thinly veiled bribes for better service. My main LBS owner treats me well because he understands customer service and I bring him the bulk of my business. That's the trade off.

As to buying beer? That's a friend thing not a tip thing. Nothing wrong with it but I personally don't hang around the lbs trying to be friends. It's a store.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-18-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 10:09 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
The attitudes of entitlement and arrogance are only going to speed the eventual demise of bike shops everywhere.
The entitlement and arrogance I see comes from the "beat Amazon's price or I'm not buying" crowd. Talk about oblivious.
Old 01-18-19, 10:21 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
"it's not tipping I believe in. It's overtipping."
Old 01-18-19, 02:50 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
The entitlement and arrogance I see comes from the "beat Amazon's price or I'm not buying" crowd. Talk about oblivious.
Yep, sucks that LBSs no longer hold the only way to get bike parts, and are forced to actually become competitive instead of knowing they are your only way to get your bike fixed. If only we could go back to the good old days where the consumer had no option or control...
Old 01-18-19, 03:43 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yep, sucks that LBSs no longer hold the only way to get bike parts, and are forced to actually become competitive instead of knowing they are your only way to get your bike fixed. If only we could go back to the good old days where the consumer had no option or control...
What sucks is people who have no comprehension whatsoever of what it actually entails to own a brick-and-mortar store, and naively demand that their LBS be "competitive" with online mass retailers.

When Amazon runs your last local merchant out of business, be sure to tell us about all the "option and "control" that results.

Last edited by EdwinHeadwind; 01-18-19 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 05:04 PM
radroad

When you lose the argument, try changing the topic! Fail.
Old 01-18-19, 05:35 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

The attitudes of entitlement and arrogance are only going to speed the eventual demise of bike shops everywhere. They are so comically clueless. Zero business sense whatsoever. They are oblivious and oblivious to their obliviousness.

It's almost like bike shop owners want to go out of business. The world is changing: adapt or else. The future of bike service and repair is mobile van service not brick and mortar stores.

Bike shops are finished. The nice ones are just staving off the inevitable.
What an uninformed and odd statement.
You referenced ‘bike shops everywhere’ as if you have first hand knowledge of all of them and their ‘comically clueless’ owners.
What kind of clueless person makes such an unsubstantiated blanket statement?
I happen to have over 8 thriving bike shops within 30 miles of my house and I personally know 3 of the owners from having done business with them over the years.
None of them are clueless and none of them are going out of business any time soon.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 01-18-19 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 06:59 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by downhillmaster

What an uninformed and odd statement.
You referenced ‘bike shops everywhere’ as if you have first hand knowledge of all of them and their ‘comically clueless’ owners.
What kind of clueless person makes such an unsubstantiated blanket statement?
I happen to have over 8 thriving bike shops within 30 miles of my house and I personally know 3 of the owners from having done business with them over the years.
None of them are clueless and none of them are going out of business any time soon.

You cannot generalize from your neighborhood to the industry as a whole. The industry is collapsing. Here's an overview of the number of bike shops in the US. And below is an overview in the number of cyclists in the US. The third graph shows total visits to bike hops. All show significant to severe decline.

https://redkiteprayer.com/2015/08/wh...ke-shops-gone/

In the UK, bike shop closures are at a 50 year high.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#70a187754f9d

The future of the industry is direct to consumer bikes and parts sales, and mobile van service:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/b...-bicycles.html

Meanwhile, I suggest these shops keep demanding tips from a vanishing customer base and see where that leads. Dodo. Bird.

Last edited by radroad; 01-18-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 07:26 PM
jefnvk

What sucks is people who have no comprehension whatsoever of what it actually entails to own a brick-and-mortar store, and naively demand that their LBS be "competitive" with online mass retailers.

When Amazon runs your last local merchant out of business, be sure to tell us about all the "option and "control" that results.
Nashbar, Jenson, Tree Fort, REI, Competitive Cyclist, Bike Wagon, Ribble, CRC, eBay, and FWIW Amazon is a far worse choice than any of them.

I have limited hobby funds and limitless interests. One of those interests, though, is not propping up uncompetitive shops simply because they exist geographically close to me. Package me what I want at a price I'm happy with, I'll gladly buy from you. Tell me you don't stock the exact widget I want, but you can get me something similar I can't see before paying, and it'll come three days later and $20 more than one from Bike-24, and I'm going to go with the better option for me.

I actually speak with my dollars.
Old 01-18-19, 07:46 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Everyone, let’s keep this discussion civil and no more insults. If not infractions come next. Thanks.

Stan
Old 01-18-19, 07:54 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Nashbar, Jenson, Tree Fort, REI, Competitive Cyclist, Bike Wagon, Ribble, CRC, eBay, and FWIW Amazon is a far worse choice than any of them.
LOL ... you aren't going to have a choice. Nashbar and Performance are already gone. Which one will Amazon eat next? I'm guessing Jenson.

I actually speak with my dollars.
With a forked tongue, Kemosabe.
Old 01-18-19, 08:13 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Meanwhile, I suggest these shops keep demanding tips from a vanishing customer base and see where that leads.
Meanwhile, I suggest you look up the definitions of "demand" and "tip."
Old 01-18-19, 08:14 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Everyone, let’s keep this discussion civil and no more insults. If not infractions come next. Thanks.

Stan
Ban me, Stan! I'm begging you!
Old 01-19-19, 05:20 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Meanwhile, I suggest you look up the definitions of "demand" and "tip."
You cannot generalize from your neighborhood to the industry as a whole. The industry is collapsing. Here's an overview of the number of bike shops in the US. And below is an overview in the number of cyclists in the US. The third graph shows total visits to bike hops. All show significant to severe decline.

https://redkiteprayer.com/2015/08/wh...ke-shops-gone/

In the UK, bike shop closures are at a 50 year high.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#70a187754f9d

The future of the industry is direct to consumer bikes and parts sales, and mobile van service:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/b...-bicycles.html

Meanwhile, I suggest these shops keep demanding tips from a vanishing customer base and see where that leads. Dodo. Bird.

1) How in the world did you deduce that bike shop
owners in general are ‘denanding’ tips? Certainly not from any information in this thread. Why do you feel the need to make stuff up?
2) All small retail shops in general have taken the same hit as bike shops in the time frame referenced by your charts. It’s calked the internet.
Old 01-19-19, 06:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
we have had 3 bike shops in town for a very long time. At one time we had 4, but one had a horrible location and a lot of debt and went under. I have always wondered about one of them, I think once the owner decides to retire it will be gone. Look at the number of retail outlets of any kind and you will see a distressing downward trend, especially given the number of jobs that have been lost. Our local mall is likely to be empty soon. There has been a retail bloodbath even over the last year. Not surprising that bike shops would be among them. But I think bike shops are likely to be survivors since they have expertise that their customers don't. It's one thing to go on the internet and buy household goods, it's another to find the right part for your road boost rear hub.

I have never heard of a bike shop owner demanding tips and I don't see it in this thread. If you want special service, it's a good idea. A few 6 packs go a long way. People who don't go to specialty retail stores other than bike shops may not realize what a difficult business it is. I am sure that my local shop saves me money over buying on the internet.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-19-19 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 07:20 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The idea of tips was always to allow employers to give less to their employees than they were worth. In Europe that has been replaced by guaranteed minimum wages, holiday pay, health schemes etc so tips are no longer necessary.

Do I give tips? Sometimes, to local supermarket staff who have to put up with us bumptious customers but it is spontaneous and it is important to give a tip to everybody. I wouldn't insult people by giving a sixpack of beer, a bottle of champagne or whatever, especially in some countries where the practice is not allowed, or where staff who help out are below the age limit.
Old 01-19-19, 08:08 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
While not bicycle-related, I DO buy a case of beer for the crew at my local junkyard every so often. They let me look around all I want, don't charge me for smaller items, and are ridiculously inexpensive for engines/transmissions.
Old 01-19-19, 08:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
The idea of tips was always to allow employers to give less to their employees than they were worth. In Europe that has been replaced by guaranteed minimum wages, holiday pay, health schemes etc so tips are no longer necessary.
I would have to say this isn't the case with bike shops, tips are far too irregular. I don't think it was that way originally at food service places either, but that ship has sailed for the most part.
Old 01-19-19, 08:58 AM
jefnvk

LOL ... you aren't going to have a choice. Nashbar and Performance are already gone. Which one will Amazon eat next? I'm guessing Jenson.
Umm, Performance is going down because of bad management, not competition. And, as previously stated, Amazon plays no significant role in the bicycling retail world, I have zero idea why you are fixated on them.

With a forked tongue, Kemosabe.
Spend your money how you see fit. I'll spend mine in the manner that makes sense for me, not someone else.
Old 01-19-19, 09:01 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That's why I specified "in Europe" . Doesn't matter whether it is a bike shop or a restaurant, you are covered in the UK many other countries in Europe by a guaranteed minimum wages by a minimum wage, in France around the 10€ mark, which often has a compulsory pension added on. Techncally, whether it be students serving food in Montmartre or stallhoilders in a market, employers are required to pay this, and not to do so is to incur heavy penalties. The same goes for bike shops. That people choose not to do so is up to them - police will turn blind eyes, or give warnings - but the risksare high.
Old 01-19-19, 10:14 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Amazon plays no significant role in the bicycling retail world, I have zero idea why you are fixated on them.
Not fixated, just using a handy example of the predatory online model. Two years ago they played no role in the grocery world, either.

Spend your money how you see fit. I'll spend mine in the manner that makes sense for me, not someone else.
Of course you will. Just don't pretend that eliminating bike shops is giving you more "option and control."

Last edited by EdwinHeadwind; 01-19-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-20-19, 05:20 PM
radroad

Not fixated, just using a handy example of the predatory online model. Two years ago they played no role in the grocery world, either.

Of course you will. Just don't pretend that eliminating bike shops is giving you more "option and control."
You're just yelling at clouds. Adapt or...
Old 01-20-19, 05:39 PM
radroad

I visited a coffee shop which used to be one of my favorites. A small "local-ish" chain. The employees used to be top notch. The coffee very good. And the theme of the cafe itself: super clean urban warehouse was just too cool for school. That was 3.5 years ago.

I visit again a few months back. Ugh. What happened? The barista's YELL at the patrons at the top of their lungs about the unruly crooked line. Yeah, you need customers to stay in business, stupid. And then the cashier expects a TIP for tapping a button on the iPad. What for?!? Any monkey can tap a button. I didn't tip. She pouts.

Not to mention the clientele has changed. Drastically. And not for the better.

Retail businesses with their expectation of tips are throwing themselves under the bus. But there are also other reasons why customers prefer to shop from home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.