Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Carrying Groceries

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Carrying Groceries

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 10:11 PM
missmarymack

Bikes: several. need the right bike for the right job.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carrying Groceries

Hi all-

New to this forum and wondering what other commuters use to carry their groceries? I just got this porter crate from Bates Crates and I love it!

Besides looking sweet it's really sturdy, carries a couple bags of groceries or six packs, and it even has a cup holder and a bottle opener! The crate is a stained hardwood. I just set mine in my front rack and go. I should probably get some bungees for it just to be safe, but it stays put it this rack. the hardware is already there and came installed.
Old 11-10-10, 11:30 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get a months worth (80-120lbs) in a Bob trailer, two panniers, and the top of my front rack. Months I get flour tend to be the heaviest.
Old 11-10-10, 11:43 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
for years I used BOB's

for the last 2 years I've been using a Surly Big Dummy
cargo bike will haul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2793.jpg (69.5 KB, 76 views)
IMG_2792.jpg (69.8 KB, 70 views)
IMG_3432.jpg (63.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-11-10, 04:04 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I prefer carrying my groceries in the rear. I just use a couple of large Ortlieb panniers. If absolutely needed, I'll add the small front Altura panniers. I shop groceries almost daily, I've got several good shops right along my commute.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 11-11-10, 04:14 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I've used Basil D'Azur Double Bag panniers. They will hold a week's worth of groceries on both sides.
Old 11-11-10, 05:54 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Wald Baskets, Panniers (variety of brands) and the shopper panniers are the ones I use most often. I have used a small back pack in a pinch.

Very nice looking crate.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-11-10, 08:07 AM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Ortleibs, if it's not raining i can leave them open and pack even more in. I can get everything I need in those, plus flowers. It wouldn't work for packs of soda or juice but I just stopped buying those.

That's a nice crate though, I've been thinking of something like that for one of our 3 speeds just to have something nice and easy I can run quick errands on and put stuff in without a big hassle. Actually I was wondering if anyone made a suspension mounted crate or flat surface, like the same thing but with a few stiff springs underneath.I thought of that once when I wanted to get a pie home from a farmer's market and wasn't sure how. Or is that just crazy?

Last edited by chrisb71; 11-11-10 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-11-10, 08:30 AM
JAHowe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a two wheel trailer. Three bags with kid or four without. I also have one rigged as a flatbed that I can strap a cooler and/or plastic containers to.
Old 11-11-10, 08:35 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I use an InStep Turbo Trailer. Easily holds a week's groceries.

Paul
Old 11-11-10, 08:39 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a pair of SunLite Grocery Getter panniers that work very well for my weekly needs.

I don't like adding to much weight to the front, the extra inertia makes steering more difficult.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-11-10, 09:01 AM
Eileen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by missmarymack
Hi all-

New to this forum and wondering what other commuters use to carry their groceries? I just got this porter crate from Bates Crates and I love it!

Besides looking sweet it's really sturdy, carries a couple bags of groceries or six packs, and it even has a cup holder and a bottle opener! The crate is a stained hardwood. I just set mine in my front rack and go. I should probably get some bungees for it just to be safe, but it stays put it this rack. the hardware is already there and came installed. [/IMG]
Nice rack; nice crate. But this post smells spammy to me.

I use Wald folding baskets on my "Ford F150" bike -- holds two bags of groceries and does not block my lights or affect steering. For just a few items, I use a reusable grocery bag tied to my handlebars and resting in my front basket.

I'll probably switch to a couple of Arkels. They seem to be the lightest, highest capacity grocery panniers and would probably work for laundry, too.
Old 11-11-10, 09:30 AM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eileen
Nice rack; nice crate. But this post smells spammy to me.

I use Wald folding baskets on my "Ford F150" bike -- holds two bags of groceries and does not block my lights or affect steering. For just a few items, I use a reusable grocery bag tied to my handlebars and resting in my front basket.

I'll probably switch to a couple of Arkels. They seem to be the lightest, highest capacity grocery panniers and would probably work for laundry, too.
Yes! People who commute don't give too much thought into things looking "sweet," they are into practicality. Besides, $150 is too much to pay for that crate. One can go to Home Depot and make his/her own for less than $20 with a cup holder and bottle opener.
Old 11-11-10, 10:27 AM
chrisb71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh it's definitely an ad, but I appreciate they did not "spam" which would be posting a ton of messages, just one message that fools you for a few seconds and gets you to look. Much better job than the woman who cycles all year long in Vancouver.
edit: And of course by replying we are bumping it up, damn them and their sneaky viral ways!
Old 11-11-10, 10:34 AM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, but you forgot the baguette. While cut flowers are optional, the rule states that every chichi picture of groceries must contain at least one baguette.

It is a nice innovation to make a porteur style rack usefull for everyday life though.
Old 11-11-10, 10:36 AM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelmama
Yes! People who commute don't give too much thought into things looking "sweet," they are into practicality. Besides, $150 is too much to pay for that crate. One can go to Home Depot and make his/her own for less than $20 with a cup holder and bottle opener.
Where can I get one of those plastic milk crates that people strap down to their rear racks to use as trunks? I want something like that.
Old 11-11-10, 10:42 AM
JeffSG
Charlotte, NC Commuter

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo with Mammoth wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have a milk crate on the rear rack that will hold a few things, but my wife typically does the shopping in a car.

Ride safe,

Jeff
Old 11-11-10, 10:45 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wald front basket.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 11-11-10, 10:50 AM
Pscyclepath
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Axiom grocery panniers that I ue from time to time, but more and more often I just empty out my Ortlieb Back Rollers and use those. About the same size as the grocery panniers, but way deeper, and they hold more.
Old 11-11-10, 10:58 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Freeloaders on my Big Dummy...I keep meaning to mount some milk crates to the snap deck too, just haven't got a round to it.

Hey look, a round toit!

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-11-10, 11:23 AM
Eileen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisb71
Oh it's definitely an ad, but I appreciate they did not "spam" which would be posting a ton of messages, just one message that fools you for a few seconds and gets you to look. Much better job than the woman who cycles all year long in Vancouver.
edit: And of course by replying we are bumping it up, damn them and their sneaky viral ways!
Correction: the woman from Vancouver cycles ALMOST all year long.

Dammit. I'm bumping this again. Bates Crates: pretty, but heavy and overpriced.
Old 11-11-10, 11:24 AM
Eileen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbagrannygear
Sorry, but you forgot the baguette. While cut flowers are optional, the rule states that every chichi picture of groceries must contain at least one baguette.

It is a nice innovation to make a porteur style rack usefull for everyday life though.
I usually strap the baguette to my helmet.
Old 11-11-10, 12:13 PM
chrisb71

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by albertmoreno
Where can I get one of those plastic milk crates that people strap down to their rear racks to use as trunks? I want something like that.
Those are actually all stolen. you can sometimes find them at thrift stores or lying about, but they are re-used by the dairy companies, and sometimes stolen out of the back by people or by grocery store employees.
Old 11-11-10, 12:25 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-11-10, 12:26 PM
cabana 4 life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi,

my name is cole and i own www.batescrates and www.1lesscar. i followed this link from my web stats and its always fun to see people talking about my crates. i know the person whos crate this is and she was really exited to get it. as for you guys saying its spam i have been on this forum for years and respect it a lot and don't spam it. yes if someone is talking about my stuff i will add something. i wont try and promote here i know its not the place. as for the crates yes they are expensive i know but between the cost of the wood and the time i invest into making each one by hand im not getting rich by any means. weight it is under four pounds and they are not designed to be used on you carbon fiber racing bike,if your using a commuter the weight shouldn't bother you at all. these crates will also work on rear racks i have had a few people order them and use them on the rear. im working on building a new one with the same dimensions as milk crate because people seem to like the milk crates so much. while i know the crates are not for everyone and not for the hardcore commuter they are something i believe while help people ride more and drive less.

cole
Old 11-11-10, 12:43 PM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cabana 4 life
hi,

my name is cole and i own www.batescrates and www.1lesscar. i followed this link from my web stats and its always fun to see people talking about my crates. i know the person whos crate this is and she was really exited to get it. as for you guys saying its spam i have been on this forum for years and respect it a lot and don't spam it. yes if someone is talking about my stuff i will add something. i wont try and promote here i know its not the place. as for the crates yes they are expensive i know but between the cost of the wood and the time i invest into making each one by hand im not getting rich by any means. weight it is under four pounds and they are not designed to be used on you carbon fiber racing bike,if your using a commuter the weight shouldn't bother you at all. these crates will also work on rear racks i have had a few people order them and use them on the rear. im working on building a new one with the same dimensions as milk crate because people seem to like the milk crates so much. while i know the crates are not for everyone and not for the hardcore commuter they are something i believe while help people ride more and drive less.

cole
I like your crates, and it's great to see small businesses succeed. But please...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.