Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bike Porn V2.0

Old 05-30-15, 05:26 PM
  #3601  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
details.



Mumonkan is offline  
Old 05-30-15, 05:46 PM
  #3602  
pwebb
Senior Member
 
pwebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Bay
Posts: 254

Bikes: Mash Work, Gunnar Crosshairs, Velo Orange Camargue

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those first two basically say "F*** your tire clearance" to me. I like the last one but not a huge fan of asymmetrical bike stuff personally. Lefty front forks always drive me nuts for some reason.
pwebb is offline  
Old 05-31-15, 12:29 AM
  #3603  
sickz
Senior Member
 
sickz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
id be embarassed to display that at a bike convention.

sacrificing function for ugly.
sickz is offline  
Old 05-31-15, 07:25 AM
  #3604  
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer
 
TejanoTrackie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ciudad de Vacas, Tejas
Posts: 11,352

Bikes: 29 frames + 72 wheels

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by sickz View Post
id be embarassed to display that at a bike convention.

sacrificing function for ugly.
Also, the lugwork is totally meh, no smoothing or filing. I have 1970s bike boom era gas pipe frames that look better than that.
__________________
What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
TejanoTrackie is offline  
Old 06-01-15, 04:41 PM
  #3605  
sickz
Senior Member
 
sickz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
Also, the lugwork is totally meh, no smoothing or filing. I have 1970s bike boom era gas pipe frames that look better than that.
good point... all that pointless fluff, yet lugs are still basic.
sickz is offline  
Old 06-02-15, 02:32 PM
  #3606  
IAmSam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,424
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 56 Posts
1899 Columbia/BSA pro-track ridden by the one and only...Major Taylor...
Acquired from a relative of Major Taylor's former bicycle shop sponsor in Wooster, Massachusetts before his death, they kept this bike as original possible from the day he rode it in one of the British Six Day races in same year he won the World Championship (not on this bike)



IAmSam is offline  
Old 06-02-15, 02:48 PM
  #3607  
T13
Senior Member
 
T13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: CLE-OH
Posts: 1,337

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe clips....hmm.......
T13 is offline  
Old 06-02-15, 06:17 PM
  #3608  
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speedvagen Urban Racer

Soil_Sampler is offline  
Old 06-02-15, 07:08 PM
  #3609  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It made the porn thread and the jackass thread in the same day!
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 06-02-15, 07:47 PM
  #3610  
Muffin Man
:)
 
Muffin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,419

Bikes: Gaulzetti Interclub, Cannondale CAAD12, Corex President

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen that bike in person, and while its a cool bike, it's not worth that price tag to me.
Muffin Man is offline  
Old 06-02-15, 08:28 PM
  #3611  
rex615
canis lupus familiaris
 
rex615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,254

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
I've seen that bike in person, and while its a cool bike, it's not worth that price tag to me.
I like the bike a lot, just not the price tag.
rex615 is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 03:29 AM
  #3612  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i still think the rack for a tiny pannier (that doesnt exist) is stupid. im not a fan of the bars either.

the idea for the bike is interesting i suppose, but i feel like they chose that automatix hub so it wasnt just another "fixie"

supporting local american business is cool and all and i understand its handmade, but but id be more comfortable spending a tenth of the price for what it is functionally
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 04:42 AM
  #3613  
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Double down!

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
It made the porn thread and the jackass thread in the same day!
Perfect!
Soil_Sampler is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 05:56 AM
  #3614  
Ictoanta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 131

Bikes: Fuji Feather 2015; Electra Rally Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That Speedvagen (which I can't stop reading as "SpeedVegan") does absolutely nothing for me... if I had to select one part that I like, it would probably be the tires :S

Different strokes, ey?
Ictoanta is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 08:20 AM
  #3615  
50voltphantom
Senior Member
 
50voltphantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SD
Posts: 2,734

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 36 Posts
I don't understand why it has an insane amount of fork clearance. It's almost like it's suspension corrected.
50voltphantom is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 09:46 AM
  #3616  
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner
 
Mumonkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Bad Woods.
Posts: 8,806
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
im thinking it has something to do with the wheels being 650 b and the enve fork is most likely for a cross bike with 700c wheels, but i could be wrong

maybe he just wanted clearance for all that mulch hes shredding
Mumonkan is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 09:54 AM
  #3617  
Dan515
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan View Post
i still think the rack for a tiny pannier (that doesnt exist) is stupid. im not a fan of the bars either.

the idea for the bike is interesting i suppose, but i feel like they chose that automatix hub so it wasnt just another "fixie"

supporting local american business is cool and all and i understand its handmade, but but id be more comfortable spending a tenth of the price for what it is functionally
+1 to everything you said.

I especially don't understand why they fitted it with a single-sided custom rack that only works for a currently non-existent pannier... that may only exist in the future in the form of a custom Porcelain Rocket bag??

And for the price tag, I'm pretty disappointed that it's got an Automatix hub... not even a Rohloff or something that's actually really functional and pricey at the same time.

Talk about catering to an exclusive crowd. But then again that's what all these handmade bicycle guys do I suppose.
Dan515 is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 10:04 AM
  #3618  
rex615
canis lupus familiaris
 
rex615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,254

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
I don't understand why it has an insane amount of fork clearance. It's almost like it's suspension corrected.
It might just have a 29/700 fork instead of a 27.5/650B.

EDIT: Just notice @Mumonkan beat me to it.

Last edited by rex615; 06-03-15 at 10:35 AM.
rex615 is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 05:50 PM
  #3619  
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We have clearance, Clarence.

With those tyres on a 700 wheelset you would have to use 29er fork, or custom.

SV Urban Racer ? The Vanilla Workshop

https://static1.squarespace.com/stati....Guidebook.pdf
Soil_Sampler is offline  
Old 06-03-15, 09:43 PM
  #3620  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seriously?

POPULAR UPGRADES:

FIRST SCRATCH

Everybody worries about the first scratch on theirnew bike. Once it’s a done deal though, they feelmore freedom on the bike; like they don’t need tobaby it, or worry about it.After years or R&D, we’ve developed the technologyto give your bike that first scratch before it evenships out,. This way you can get on your Speedvagenand use it as intended (not as something precious,but as a great tool) from day one.As with anything that we do, we take a lot of prideand responsibility in giving your bike it’s first scratch.Some bikes want a little nick in a discreet area andsome want a nice line right on the the top tubewhere all can see. It’s not until your bike is built andtest ridden and we take a minute to bask in it’s glorythat we will know for sure what first scratch yourbike wants. It’s equal parts art and science and, forus, the perfect way for us to send a new bird out ofthe nest.

This upgrade is $10
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 06-04-15, 01:58 AM
  #3621  
Ictoanta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 131

Bikes: Fuji Feather 2015; Electra Rally Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
Seriously?

POPULAR UPGRADES:

FIRST SCRATCH

Everybody worries about the first scratch on theirnew bike. Once it’s a done deal though, they feelmore freedom on the bike; like they don’t need tobaby it, or worry about it.After years or R&D, we’ve developed the technologyto give your bike that first scratch before it evenships out,. This way you can get on your Speedvagenand use it as intended (not as something precious,but as a great tool) from day one.As with anything that we do, we take a lot of prideand responsibility in giving your bike it’s first scratch.Some bikes want a little nick in a discreet area andsome want a nice line right on the the top tubewhere all can see. It’s not until your bike is built andtest ridden and we take a minute to bask in it’s glorythat we will know for sure what first scratch yourbike wants. It’s equal parts art and science and, forus, the perfect way for us to send a new bird out ofthe nest.

This upgrade is $10
If he's taking the piss (which I strongly suspect, no-one can be that full of it, right...?), I take my hat off to him. If not, I don't know what to say
Ictoanta is offline  
Old 06-04-15, 03:48 AM
  #3622  
rex615
canis lupus familiaris
 
rex615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,254

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ It could also work in case there is a scratch on the bike when you receive it.
He could say, " Oh, don't worry about that scratch, we won't charge you for it, you can have it for free"
rex615 is offline  
Old 06-04-15, 04:32 AM
  #3623  
Ictoanta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 131

Bikes: Fuji Feather 2015; Electra Rally Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
^^^ It could also work in case there is a scratch on the bike when you receive it.
He could say, " Oh, don't worry about that scratch, we won't charge you for it, you can have it for free"
Yeah, or you get a properly f'd up bike on delivery, accompanied by an extra invoice for 500$ worth of scratches

As a business model, it's amazing!
Ictoanta is offline  
Old 06-04-15, 07:07 AM
  #3624  
Kindaslow
Senior Member
 
Kindaslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Seattlish
Posts: 2,751

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
You guys are just jealous that you did not think of it first!!!
Kindaslow is offline  
Old 06-04-15, 07:46 AM
  #3625  
Ictoanta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 131

Bikes: Fuji Feather 2015; Electra Rally Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
You guys are just jealous that you did not think of it first!!!
Yes, I'll admit to that
Ictoanta is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.