Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting over an accident

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Getting over an accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 01:09 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
That's what I don't understand. There were no physical or financial injuries as a byproduct of the event. There was neither suffering nor witnessing of suffering, so I don't see it as a traumatic event.

That's not meant as a put down of the OP. His/her experience is just something I have difficulty understanding.
The OP didn't end up hurt, but something like that makes it immediately clear just how close injury and death are ... a few feet one way or another and he would have plowed the door or been run over.

That's like saying if I walk up to someone, put a gun to his or her head, pull the trigger, and it misfires ... what's the big deal?
Old 09-07-16, 01:09 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Somebody went through a trauma that might easily have ended his life, apparently it was only blind luck that prevented an awful demise. Of course they're going to be gun shy about it afterward!
I guess i just associate "trauma" with "negative outcome".

When I have crashed on bicycles and motorcycles and was uninjured and the machine survived undamaged, I was pleased to not have to go to the ER or write a check for repairs, and rode off with a smile. I try not to stress out over "could haves". YMMV.
Old 09-07-16, 01:14 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
+1, an accident can easily spook you, but you have to keep it in perspective and get past it, maybe with a lesson learned that may (that's MAY - there are no guaranties).

One thing to consider is the number of years you''ve ridden without an accident, and consider how much more likely it is to not have an accident.

A daylight strobe headlight may help, as might riding a bit farther out into the lane to improve sight lines, but the reality is that it's easy for drivers to miss seeing bicycles because we present a small profile and can easily hide at the edge of sight lines. So it's up to you to be as alert as possible, especially riding along parked cars, or approaching intersections.

So, my advice boils down to learn what you can from this, then put it out of your mind and move on as if it never happened.
I agree wholeheartedly. A light will certainly help, but we all should realize that to motorists, we are what I call "psychologically invisible." The driver's brain is on the lookout, especially when using his or her peripheral vision, for other cars. Quite often the driver simply doesn't "see" a bicycle approaching.

Yes, riding in a group, with its greater mass and bright colors/bright lights, helps a great deal. So does trying to avoid heavily trafficked streets and roads.

Just enjoy and be safe.
Best regards
Old 09-07-16, 01:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,551 Times in 7,330 Posts
NIMH » Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Old 09-07-16, 01:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I guess i just associate "trauma" with "negative outcome". I try not to stress out over "could haves". YMMV.
Indeed, this poster is finding a great variation in "mileage" ... I too might feel differently after a near miss ... or even a crash where i only got scraped. (Even when I broke my shoulder, I jumped right up and got back on the bike and rode away. ) But we are here dealing with the OP's experience.

Particularly because this was a first for the OP ... probably many of us after several close calls and a few minor scrapes are quite complacent about the fact that we are often inches from death, but the OP had never had it thrust in his/her face before.

Even I after ... dozens? or crashes, some quite severe, was spooked for a whole after breaking my shoulder ... though I oput that down mostly to not having been riding enough lately, and also knowing that i was not fully in control of my bike--not to the millimeter precision as usual---because my shoulder wasn't fully healed, and I didn't trust myself to move the bike as quick as usual---but I still had to convince myself to let it go and just ride like usual.

That's sort of what I would advise for the OP ... tell your brain, "I am Not going to entertain fear and worry based on one near-miss. I know how to ride, I like to ride, and I have always ridden safely, even to this day .. I am Still riding ... and I reject the notion that I am not safe."

We can program our own minds if we make the effort. or we can let our more primitive brain portions dominate our conscious minds ... which is foolish IMO, but until someone says "Hey, stop that" some people don't know they can stop.
Old 09-07-16, 01:20 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by flan48
I agree wholeheartedly. A light will certainly help, but we all should realize that to motorists, we are what I call "psychologically invisible." The driver's brain is on the lookout, especially when using his or her peripheral vision, for other cars. Quite often the driver simply doesn't "see" a bicycle approaching.
This.

No matter who is "at fault" legally, if you get hit you lose. Always expect the car to pull out, or to pull over into you, or to not even be aware of you, even if the driver makes eye contact and waves. Drivers' minds tend to function with a "car, truck, empty space" triad, and if you are there, you count as "empty space" because you are not a car or a truck.

Know this, and don't give them a good target.
Old 09-07-16, 01:25 PM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To the OP: You walked away shaken by the experience, but unharmed. THAT is a good thing!
Your bike wasn't totaled, and most importantly you weren't injured. HooRay!!

Get back on your bike and ride it. Period.
Getting over something like this, the sooner you go ride the better.

Cyclists and Motorcyclists will tell us all, NEVER assume they can see you, ALWAYS assume they do NOT see you.

Experience is the best teacher. Take this event, and become a more aware rider.
It can be a reminder to the rest of us not to get complacent, to stay vigilant out there.

Always have an out. At any given moment, ask yourself, "if this car cuts me off, what will I do, where will I go?" Where will I bail out to if needed?

My vote is to get on your bike and go ride it.
Old 09-07-16, 01:25 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
True.... but rarely! In almost all documented cases PTSD is a veteran experience.

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. And full respect to Vets. Nobody should have to experience the horrors of war. But your statement is way off the mark. PTSD is an extremely common disorder.

EMTs, fire fighters, r a p e victims, family members of murder victims or kidnappings, parents of missing children, detectives in child abuse divisions, etc etc. There is plenty of horror off the battlefield.

(PTSD), once called shell shock or battle fatigue syndrome, is a serious condition that can develop after a person has experienced or witnessed a traumatic or terrifying event in which serious physical harm occurred or was threatened. PTSD is a lasting consequence of traumatic ordeals that cause intense fear, helplessness, or horror, such as a sexual or physical assault, the unexpected death of a loved one, an accident, war, or natural disaster. Families of victims can also develop PTSD, as can emergency personnel and rescue workers.
Victims of trauma related to physical and sexual assault face the greatest risk for PTSD.
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Old 09-07-16, 01:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I guess i just associate "trauma" with "negative outcome".
Crashing and winding up on the hood of a car when you were trying to be out on a bike ride is very much a negative outcome. It's not the negativeist outcome possible, but it's something we all try to avoid.

Humans have a "fight or flight" response to danger, and the OP saw the car coming, and tried but was unable to warn the driver or avoid the collision, like Cassandra in the legend. You say you've been in accidents before, you know the oh sh*t! moment. A lot of fear right before the crash. It's a physical and emotional roller coaster. Takes a while after the crash to figure out how bad the damage is. Am I hurt? Am I in shock? It's a traumatic experience, even when you get the best you could possibly hope for.
Old 09-07-16, 01:36 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
Always have an out. .
Word!
Old 09-07-16, 01:42 PM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This.

No matter who is "at fault" legally, if you get hit you lose. Always expect the car to pull out, or to pull over into you, or to not even be aware of you, even if the driver makes eye contact and waves.
Exactly!

In a former life I was an instructor for a large corporation and also did a few accident investigations.
A vast majority of people get caught up in "who was at fault?"
That was a very difficult thing to purge even from the minds of professional drivers. Like the accident was OK because they weren't at fault.

What we looked for was could our driver, within reason, have prevented this accident? Period. In our documentation, the accident was either preventable or non-preventable.

The best concept out there for us cyclists is: "Always leave yourself an OUT"

Bike vs. Car? Car ALWAYS wins.
Old 09-07-16, 01:43 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

It's a traumatic experience, even when you get the best you could possibly hope for.
We are all wired differently.

I am very familiar with that "OH SHAT" moment when we see our lives pass before our eyes. Right before we crash and we KNOW we are going down. "DAMMIT how bad is this one gonna be?"

Like I said before, when I get up, unhurt, I'm so happy that I am actually in a better mood because I cheated death and won. I have the opposite experience of the OP. I feel joy because the outcome is good. It's like, "I could have died, but I didn't even break a bone. Take that world! Celebrate!"
Old 09-07-16, 01:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

The last time I had that "OH SHAT" moment, it was followed up with some CT scans. I don't know how I'd react today.
Old 09-07-16, 02:29 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

The last time I had that "OH SHAT" moment, it was followed up with some CT scans. I don't know how I'd react today.

I've had traumatic crashes too. Broken ribs, punctured lung, leg in two places, collar bone, internal bleeding, helicopter ride to hospital, motorcycle destroyed, all in one crash.

Maybe that's why I feel the way I do about the "good" ones.
Old 09-07-16, 02:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Heli is something I've never been through. MTB?
Old 09-07-16, 02:36 PM
SkunkWerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had traumatic crashes too. Broken ribs, punctured lung, leg in two places, collar bone, internal bleeding, helicopter ride to hospital, motorcycle destroyed, all in one crash.

Maybe that's why I feel the way I do about the "good" ones.
Now THAT could make someone skittish about returning to riding!!

Hindsight is 20/20, but i think if the car pulled out in front of me, and I ended up on his hood, I would have done a RiverDance on his hood with my SPD cleats, ya know, give him something to remember me by.
Old 09-07-16, 02:40 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Heli is something I've never been through. MTB?
Road racing motorcycle, race track, bike bounced off my chest.
Old 09-07-16, 02:41 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
, I would have done a RiverDance on his hood with my SPD cleats, ya know, give him something to remember me by.
He'd remember to be more courteous to bikers in the future. Excellent public service work.
Old 09-07-16, 02:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Road racing motorcycle, race track, bike bounced off my chest.
God damn. Glad you're still here to argue with us.
Old 09-07-16, 02:56 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Getting over the accident, if it's something you want to get over, the best way is to get back on that horse, the sooner the better. And repetition. Every time you choose not to, reinforces the fear.

There is nothing that says you have to. If you look at it rationally, and you decide that the risks are too great, then the fear or reluctance from whatever other cause is basically irrelevant. But if you choose, then you must act. IME.
Old 09-07-16, 03:42 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

God damn. Glad you're still here to argue with us.
Me too!
Old 09-07-16, 04:27 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
This is a serious thread. Please stop trolling. Thank you.
Not a fair accusation! Nor was it correct for another poster to related be scared in traffic to the trauma suffered with PTSD. YOU... should take the time to read the posts you comment on.

The OP was scared. I understood that and gave a somewhat lengthy, serious, and hopefully helpful post early on. I don't understand you outbursts. Unless...of course your comments of trolling... are introspective.
Old 09-07-16, 04:31 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Like I said before, when I get up, unhurt, I'm so happy that I am actually in a better mood because I cheated death and won. I have the opposite experience of the OP. I feel joy because the outcome is good. It's like, "I could have died, but I didn't even break a bone. Take that world! Celebrate!"
Any close call.... or ride without a close call... is a celebration. Life itself becomes more a celebration EVERYDAY.
Old 09-07-16, 04:34 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Group rides are a good idea until you get your confidence back. Groups are more visible and often safer, especially well organized groups with traffic control.
Group rides make me more nervous than traffic.
Old 09-07-16, 04:38 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by bruce19
Group rides make me more nervous than traffic.
Same here. I want SPACE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.