Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What is the fastest safe speed on a folder?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

What is the fastest safe speed on a folder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 04:40 PM
Tovar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
With any wheeled vehicle, I use the following formula to figure out what is a safe speed...

Density Of Surroundings (include people, traffic etc.) + Road Conditions (how well kept up) + Bike Conditions (brake condition, regular tune-up, whether or not I own the bike) = Right Speed To Ride.

Since I figured out this formula, I have had no major or overly scary problems-even suprises-cropping up.
I agree, Nice formula!

Regards
Old 07-15-08, 05:19 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooker
You mean like Bolivia's highway of death?

That's exactly what I'm talkin' about, but notice how the other weenies have avoided commenting?
Old 07-15-08, 05:22 PM
owlmaster08

Bikes: Dahon Mariner 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegor
That's exactly what I'm talkin' about, but notice how the other weenies have avoided commenting?
Sounds like fun!! Is there a prize (besides still being alive )?
Old 07-15-08, 05:50 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
You mean like Bolivia's highway of death?
Those pics have been distorted to exaggerate them. See this is the corrected one:
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Clipboard01.gif (50.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-15-08, 06:16 PM
owlmaster08

Bikes: Dahon Mariner 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Those pics have been distorted to exaggerate them. See this is the corrected one:
LOL, still doesn't look good!
Old 07-15-08, 08:58 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
Ya had ta spoil the effect, didn't ya Jur

However, I have to say that after reading the huff 'n puff about how quick some fodder....(oops, I mean folder), riders claim that they can ride, I'd like them to meet my challenge....so it's Bolivia, yes?

As for the prize?........Well, Owlmaster08, if you were one of the lucky ones to survive, a choice of one of Jur's folders is your's....take the Swift!!

Funny thing is, I can't get the image outa my head of scores of folder riders disappearing over the edge....screaming in vain.....

Last edited by stevegor; 07-15-08 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-15-08, 10:58 PM
Loch

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be careful and never go faster than you feel comfortable or faster than the conditions allow. Many factors come into play. Visibility, road surface, run out, wind, fatigue. etc. Naturally a bike with larger wheels feels more predictable at high speeds going downhill.

The fastest safe speed is very personal. But, I think, generally an individual will feel more comfortable going downhill at higher speeds with larger wheels, but it's been a long time since I ridden a large wheeled bike.

Edit: Second thoughts

Last edited by Loch; 07-15-08 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 01:02 PM
AvenirFolder

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dahon Speed D7 downhill (44ish mph):

Brompton downhill (42mph):
Old 09-15-16, 02:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mach 0.8 in a 747-400 @ 30,000 feet.
Old 09-15-16, 02:44 PM
AvenirFolder

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pengyou
I am tootling around on my Dahon Speed...but the other day I came down an overpass and started to pick up speed...so I started to upshift to go faster and when I was in 7th gear I was starting to get a bit apprehensive about it all.

What are the limits with this bike? ...If I adjust my seating position will it make any difference? Raise/lower the handle bars?
Documented upper limit of the Dahon Speed D7: 44mph?

Lowering the handlebars is the key ingredient (see post #3 of this thread): More mountain climbing fun on a Dahon folding bike (pics & video) .

"I lowered the bars as far as they would go. The next day's descent...was much smoother, so I was able to go as fast as gravity would take me."

BTW Based on the daredevil antics of that poster, maybe that site should be renamed Team Testosterone. She has more balls than most guys do! For safety's sake, if you were brave/crazy enough to do the same kind of stunt, I'd follow her lead and ditch the fenders, too.

Last edited by AvenirFolder; 09-15-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 10:52 PM
desastar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you are about to fall off your bike, take note of the speedo reading. That would be your maximum speed...
Old 09-16-16, 06:04 AM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took a ride yesterday and the MAX was 34.7 mph, on a downhill, peddling robustly as I approached the associated uphill section.
That was with 56/11t gearing, 2.00 Big Apple tires, on asphalt roadway pavement.

The "safe" max speed on folder is probably pretty darned subjective. What bike, what gearing, rider experience/fitness, what tires, what surface condition....etc. etc.

It's not just what gravity and peddling will allow, but also wind resistance.
Old 09-16-16, 09:19 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juan162
I detect some skepticism. I didn't say I sustained that speed for very long-it was a steep decent of less than a mile in the fingerlakes in NY state. However, i did do it and regularly do better than 30mph on the local descents. BTW, pros can do way faster than 45mph on decents. If i'm not mistaken, they can sometimes do 60+mph if they are really trying to bomb down a hill. That's how Biloki -I know that's gotta be spelled wrong- completely destroyed himself on a decent when Lance Armstrong had to go offeroad a few years back. I love how people assume that if someone claims to ride faster than what they think feasible, they must be lying.

I, for one, do not doubt you at all. Those speeds are most definitely obtainable. Yes, you are right when you say that pros can achieve 60mph+ going down hill, and that's along roads with multiple curves when coming down some of the mountain roads during the Tour de France, for example. Imagine if they were on a really long declining road. I'm sure 70mph could easily be reached. Not far from home I managed to hit a top speed of 21mph on my Brompton. It was only on a very slight decline. My old legs were pushing it, but I couldn't maintain it but for a short spell. If a younger person with stronger leg power was to try my bike on that same road, I'm sure 30mph could be achieved easily. So going down a steep decline, I'm sure you could very well do the 45mph you mentioned.