Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike lanes and getting "door'd"

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike lanes and getting "door'd"

Old 03-05-18, 03:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I watched enough of the video to see that most of the cyclists were putting themselves in silly situations, IMO. I do not recall and of the doors being opened from Moving cars. Then by definition, they were parked cars. But I don't intend to watch the video again.

If you can direct me to a specific timestamp when a moving car opened its door and clipped a cyclist I will watch that.
Old 03-05-18, 04:33 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
The law you quoted does not square with the findings of your cursory examination.

RCW 46.61.620
Opening and closing vehicle doors.
No person shall open the door of a motor vehicle on the side adjacent to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle adjacent to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.
Nothing about a travel lane, and a travel lane is what is to the left of you anyway when parking at a curb.
I see what you are saying. While there shouldn't be vehicular traffic between a car and the curb, the person opening a door still has a legal duty to make sure there is none. I'd be interested in knowing how that has played out in court, because it doesn't appear that a cyclist can legally pass on the right of another vehicle, if there isn't a lane there.

RCW 46.61.115
When overtaking on the right is permitted.
(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
(b) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 03-05-18 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 05:07 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I see what you are saying. While there shouldn't be vehicular traffic between a car and the curb, the person opening a door still has a legal duty to make sure there is none. I'd be interested in knowing how that has played out in court, because it doesn't appear that a cyclist can legally pass on the right of another vehicle, if there isn't a lane there.

RCW 46.61.115
When overtaking on the right is permitted.
(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
(b) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
Passengers opening doors on the passenger side of a car while cyclists are passing on that side is a different issue (one not anticipated by the law). I was just going by your original statement, which sounded like you as driver were going to open your door on the driver side without looking first, which is illegal.

By the way, on the passenger side of cars is where they're putting some of these "innovative" "protected" "bike lanes" now (the parked cars ARE the protection!), so riding there on that side certainly can't be illegal in those situations.
Old 03-06-18, 07:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Passengers opening doors on the passenger side of a car while cyclists are passing on that side is a different issue (one not anticipated by the law). I was just going by your original statement, which sounded like you as driver were going to open your door on the driver side without looking first, which is illegal.
I am sorry I thought I had made it clear I was talking about exiting the passenger door when along side a curb.

Some of those idiots filtering got exactly what they had coming. I do not and will not look in my mirror when I exit the passenger door curbside.
Old 03-06-18, 09:54 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DO NOT RIDE IN THE DOORZONE EVERRRR

if the door doesnt kill you, getting flung into oncomming traffic will

a women got heli'd off last year after getting hit by a door at slow speed
Old 03-06-18, 11:13 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sorry I thought I had made it clear I was talking about exiting the passenger door when along side a curb.
No, MY apologies. I totally missed that. So sorry!
Old 03-06-18, 11:19 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of those idiots filtering got exactly what they had coming. I do not and will not look in my mirror when I exit the passenger door curbside.
Let's try this again.

I won't agree that they got what they had coming, but expecting passengers to look before they open their doors curbside is unrealistic. And yet that's exactly where cyclists are often encouraged to ride by "innovative" "protected" "bike lanes".
Old 03-06-18, 11:28 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Let's try this again.

I won't agree that they got what they had coming, but expecting passengers to look before they open their doors curbside is unrealistic. And yet that's exactly where cyclists are often encouraged to ride by "innovative" "protected" "bike lanes".
So many "air quotes". So many "air ors". (Errors, get it?)

The parking lane and a travel lane are inverted. There is parking, a BUFFER, then the bike lane.

Have you actually ever ridden in ANY of these, ANY where?

-mr. bill
Old 03-06-18, 11:33 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
So many "air quotes". So many "air ors". (Errors, get it?)

The parking lane and a travel lane are inverted. There is parking, a BUFFER, then the bike lane.

Have you actually ever ridden in ANY of these, ANY where?

-mr. bill
Yeah, some do have painted buffers. They show cyclists where to ride because of all the pedestrians taking up the other part of the "bike lane".

EDIT: add example from Portland

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/mak...-portland.html

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 03-06-18 at 11:37 AM. Reason: add example from Portland
Old 03-06-18, 11:49 AM
mr_bill

Another set of "air quotes". Another "air or". There are no pedestrians in that picture.

Where have you ridden in a door zone protected bike lane?

-mr. bill
Old 03-06-18, 12:36 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another set of "air quotes". Another "air or". There are no pedestrians in that picture.

Where have you ridden in a door zone protected bike lane?

-mr. bill
I put "bike lane" in quotes because it's not a legal bike lane when it's separated from the roadway (at least in some states - that may not be the case in Oregon - not sure). I put "protected" in quotes because the "protection" claim of these facilities is dubious.
Old 03-06-18, 01:34 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Either way, most of the cyclists in the video were a case study in abject stupidity.
Yep. IMO 99.9% of those were idiot bicyclist moves. You could smell the hit coming a mile away.

Lets see, I'm in a very busy shopping district and there are lines of taxis squeezed closely together, that are temporarily stopped. I think I'll pick the narrowest slot and rip through it at a quick pace. What the heck did they expect? Morons. Taxis stop to let their passengers OUT.

Etc, etc, etc. All dumb choices.
Old 03-06-18, 05:26 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
You could smell the hit coming a mile away.

That's what it all boils down to right there. We knew it was a dooring vid, but even without that knowledge I would have cringed seeing what I was seeing. Intuitive, observant cyclists can feel that sort of stuff developing based on the whole of the traffic picture.
Old 03-06-18, 05:38 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what it all boils down to right there. We knew it was a dooring vid, but even without that knowledge I would have cringed seeing what I was seeing. Intuitive, observant cyclists can feel that sort of stuff developing based on the whole of the traffic picture.
Absolutely. But I see most cyclists engage in behavior that makes me cringe. Of course those events aren't from a cherry-picked collection where the reason I cringe actually manifests itself.

How can we make more cyclists cringe like we do, and thus avoid this kind of behavior?
Old 03-06-18, 06:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,345 Posts
So now a video is the basis for statistics?

Anyway, I don't want to get into a semantic argument about what constitutes a car being parked, but most of those cars looked parked to me, at least temporarily. In any case, they certainly qualify as parked cars I would ride at least five feet from. What you do and advise is up to you.

You don't need my permission to do anything, which should go without saying, Mr Argumentative.
Many of the doorings in the video are where bikes are filtering between cars, and often in spaces maybe 3' wide... it wouldn't be possible to leave a 5' space while filtering like that.

As far as parked/driving cars, several of the vehicles appear to be either double parked, or briefly stopped in traffic when someone hops out. For example:

6 seconds, Prius, cyclists riding on both sides, appears to have brake lights on.
29 seconds, in snow, door appears to open on curb side, apparently car stopped in driving lane.
35 seconds, car parked half in parking lane, half in driving lane, flashers on.
52 seconds, cars lined up for right turn, I think, door opens on curb side.
1:14, bike filtering between parked cars to left, and driving to right, left door (passenger?) opens.
1:26, rear view, but apparently passing to the left of a few cars in the driving lane, left door opens.
1:35, another car at a traffic light, bike filtering, right door opens.
1:55, another car stopped in traffic, bike filtering to right, right door opens.
2:10, taxi stops to left of bike lane... predictable results.
2:18, more filtering between stopped cars and curb to the right.
2:40, car pulls over and "double parks", opens right door.
2:49, bike lane again to left of traffic lane... car opens left door from traffic lane.
2:58, another car opening door from traffic lane.

Whew, I'm getting tired of these... Anyway, at least in the compilation, at least as many dooring incidents seem to be happening from cars momentarily stopped in traffic lanes than from cars fully parked. Some predictable, some not, but most due to bikes filtering along faster than traffic.
Old 03-07-18, 08:49 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Cyclists aren't the only ones getting doored.

https://youtu.be/ZMl8Oh4HA_I

I believe California has allowed motorcycle lane splitting.

I was once asked how I felt about this. I said fine, as long as the motorcyclist doesn't mind following me on my bicycle doing the same thing he is to avoid congested traffic.
Old 03-07-18, 09:53 AM
mr_bill

People on two wheels aren't the only ones getting doored.

(Best with sound.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-07-18, 02:25 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

(Best with sound.)

Doored

-mr. bill
Some posts here like to blame the cyclists.

But motorists door everybody because they don't look.

https://youtu.be/imy4xYr9GM0
Old 03-07-18, 11:52 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

(Best with sound.)

Doored

-mr. bill
A decade ago, I borrowed a big bike cart from a campus student Co-op. The student who loaned it to me was car-free and we got to chatting about how she came to decide to no longer drive. It turns out that the last car she owned was totaled when she kicked the stuck door open without looking and it was removed by a passing pick-up.

Needless to say, she doesn't ride in the door zone either for fear of meeting someone just like herself.
Old 03-08-18, 12:09 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
The first (and last) time I was doored was in 1967. I was flying downhill on my way home from school. Guy opens his door and with luck, I catch just right it and with it's momentum, swing it beyond the limit, breaking the hinge.

I'm OK, but the driver insists that I wait for the police. They show up and the driver explains how I damaged his door and he insists they get my name because I was going to pay. The cop asks me if I was OK and had anything to add, and I say that's basically it --- he opened the door and I couldn't avoid it.

The cop smiled and said it was so rare that both parties agreed on the details, making his job so, then proceeded to issue the driver a summons for opening his door into the flow of traffic.

BTW- though I was OK,and the bike seemed OK, it turns out that I very slightly buckled the down tube. I put lots of miles on that bike, then lent it to a friend who was riding it when it finally let go (no injury).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-08-18 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-08-18, 10:27 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Some posts here like to blame the cyclists.
It's not about blame.

"Obsession with blame is good for insurance purposes but not so good for safety purposes. The urban cyclist should cast the twin concepts of blame and legal liability onto the scrap heap and forget about them. Thinking in terms of blame while out on the road is a perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Blame is dangerous.

"The most effective way for a cyclist to stay out of trouble on city streets is to forget entirely about the possibility of blaming others, and to take on full responsibility for his or her own safety."
-@Robert Hurst;
To me, that means (among many other things): do not ride in the door zone. Period.
Old 03-08-18, 05:06 PM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm the OP and just wanted to point out around here we don't have bike lanes divided by parked cars .. its more like an after thought of widening the street a few feet and having the bike lane painted on the street between traffic and the parked cars that are against a curb ... so a drivers door can fly wide open easily and the lane is only about 4 feet wide with nowhere to go but into the door or into traffic.
Old 03-08-18, 06:10 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kap 7
I'm the OP and just wanted to point out around here we don't have bike lanes divided by parked cars .. its more like an after thought of widening the street a few feet and having the bike lane painted on the street between traffic and the parked cars that are against a curb ... so a drivers door can fly wide open easily and the lane is only about 4 feet wide with nowhere to go but into the door or into traffic.
That's called a DOOR ZONE BIKE LANE.

Don't ride there.

Don't let paint think for you.

Old 03-09-18, 10:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Bike lanes are just parking zones with bicycle shaped icons to bait unwary cyclists into actually thinking it's a bike lane.

Comparable to those minnow-shaped rubber baits that fool bigger fish into thinking "Oh, look, this must be the fish lane. I'm safe here."

It's a clever ruse to reduce the cycling population.
Old 03-11-18, 09:15 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kap 7
I rarely use them because they aren't in my usual direction of going somewhere but when I do the bike lanes give me little space between cars traveling and parked cars which make me nervous if one of these parked cars would throw their door open on me. Anyway, just curious if this has happened to anyone. I try my best to look but many cars have factory tinted windows dark to the point its hard to see whats going on in the car.
I 'take the lane', and stay out of the bike lane, even when they do exist.