Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steel / Alu tariffs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel / Alu tariffs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 09:25 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by superpletch
why are we the only country to pay tariffs?
We're not. According to the most recent spreadsheet on the U.S. International Trade Commission's web site, there are 12,739 line items on the current list of U.S. import tariffs.

https://www.usitc.gov/tariff_affairs..._databases.htm
Old 03-15-18, 09:29 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
We're not. According to the most recent spreadsheet on the U.S. International Trade Commission's web site, there are 12,739 line items on the current list of U.S. import tariffs.

Or try the Harmonized Tariff Schedule: https://hts.usitc.gov/current
Old 03-15-18, 09:35 AM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta
No carbon fiber tariff?
Like a carbon tax?
Old 03-15-18, 09:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
gladly pay more for a quality American built bike built with American steel or alum..
But not, apparently, Carbon Fiber.
Old 03-15-18, 09:40 AM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stanman13
Every sheet of steel or aluminum is traceable all the way back to the producing mill. Routing it through Canada wouldn't make it difficult to trace, it's right there in the paperwork for each sheet.
I think you'd find that trans-shipping through Canada is illegal in Canada and that it is very much discouraged. Canada has its own steel industry and there is parity in trade with the US. This is a tax on American consumers of steel and aluminum used in manufacturing. It will marginally lower the cost of imported manufactured items not subject to the tariff made out of steel or aluminum (e.g. bicycles and refrigerators) and raise the cost of input materials (e.g. steel bars and tubing) for US producers of manufactured goods. Clever move!

Last edited by asmac; 03-15-18 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 09:55 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
Are the Tariffs on just finished Steel/Aluminium or on Raw Ore?
It's on finished raw material, ie. rolled shapes, plate, tubes, etc.

So for example, if one were to import 12' lengths of tubing that would be affected. The fine point is that most high end bike tubing isn't sold that way, it's finished and sold as tube sets, which are considered bike parts under HTS schedule 8714, rather than steel or aluminum.

For those not familiar with import rules, most items can be classified multiple ways, but the general rule is what best describes the item at the time it crosses the border. So steel tubing is steel tubing, but once it's measured, cut and packaged as a kit, it becomes a bike part.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-15-18, 10:06 AM
asmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
90% sure it's on the finished product
But only steel needs raw materials.
Aluminium is an element. It just needs to be extracted from the earth.
You're kidding, right? Aluminum is refined from an ore called bauxite using large amounts of electricity.
https://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Aluminum.html

Last edited by asmac; 03-15-18 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 10:28 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
You're kidding, right? Aluminum is refined from an ore called bauxite using large amounts of electricity.
How aluminum is made - material, manufacture, making, used, processing, aluminium, composition, product
That's what I had thought.

Never seen anyone pull Aluminium Ingots out of the ground.
Old 03-15-18, 11:00 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
But not, apparently, Carbon Fiber.
you make my point. china flooding market with low priced goods so no American company can compete. name an American made carbon fiber frame that is not hand made and out of most (my) peoples price range..........i wish there were some reasonably priced American mfg. soon there may be some American steel again.
Old 03-15-18, 11:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac
How aluminum is made - material, manufacture, making, used, processing, aluminium, composition, product
+2. In '99 I did a summer internship in the Alcoa legal department. The company took the four of us on a trip to its Evansville, IN plant. We saw all stages of production, from aluminum oxide (produced from bauxite) being off-loaded from barges to its reduction into molten aluminum in the "pot rooms" to the formation of 15' ingots to the ingots being rolled through various machines into can sheet. Some can sheet had been tinted gold for use in Miller Beer cans.

The process uses so much electricity that that place had its own coal-fired electricity generating plant, with coal brought in by rail. Amazing process to witness. No synthetic clothing was allowed. Only cotton in case anyone got splashed with molten aluminum. The Frankenstein-looking boots we had to wear were also liquid-proof. I also believe there was also something about them that helped guard against you being electrocuted in the event you touched something charged.
Old 03-15-18, 11:21 AM
stanman13
Not racing.

Bikes: Old rigid mtn bikes

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
If they even bother to keep the paperwork for the sheets they proxy ship.
Paperwork is very easy to fake/forge. At the percentage per sheet these tariffs would impose, proxy shipping through exempt Mexico makes a lot of sense.

No a sheet of metal is not going to be easy for a CBA agent to spot in the 10-20Minute inspection time. These CBA agents are just trying to keep the flow of traffic going. They are more concerned with drugs/illegal immigrants than hassling businesses looking to save some money.
Raw material manufacturers and distributors take this very seriously, as it is their livelihood. They absolutely will bother to keep the paperwork, or else they won't be able to sell their material, if they even get it over the border at all. Heat numbers are also printed directly on the material itself. Go to any sheet metal distributor, they will be able to pull up the mill certs for any sheet in their possession, as well as for any they have sold within at least the last ten years, and in some cases for 40 years or more. Material traceability is a well-developed risk management and liability issue within the raw materials industries.

Customs is by no means limited to 10-20 minute inspection time. I've had material held up at the border for weeks, even when the certs were in good order. I make my living with this stuff.
Old 03-15-18, 11:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
you make my point. china flooding market with low priced goods so no American company can compete. name an American made carbon fiber frame that is not hand made and out of most (my) peoples price range..........i wish there were some reasonably priced American mfg. soon there may be some American steel again.
I'm not sure that I grasp your point, but I will point out that average manufacturing wage rates are much lower in China than in the US, and that accounts for much of their competitive advantage in some industries. In the economist's terms, China has a comparative advantage in many labor-intensive manufacturing fields. They may compound that with some currency manipulation (in the past, not so much now) and some restrictionist import policies, but much of their advantage comes from good old-fashioned competitiveness. Trying to shift that production back to the US with tariffs and other import restrictions will reduce welfare in ALL of the countries involved. Heck, that is such a standard conclusion that the Trump administration has had to go out of their way to find any economists who are willing to say the opposite.

However, manufacturing wage rates are rising in China, and so we may see some industries shifting production to less-developed countries in the near future.

Last edited by Koyote; 03-15-18 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the companies making steel are doing fine in the US, its the non union workers in them that are losing out..
Old 03-15-18, 02:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
How do you see these tariffs making American made bikes (from American steel) cheaper than Chinese bikes made from Chinese steel? They don't. This tariff (if it does anything at all in this regard) will make the American bikes from American steel a little MORE expensive than they are now.

These tariffs do exactly zero to help manufacturing in the US, and may in fact hurt it.
Old 03-16-18, 07:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75

You mean we have all those tariffs and the sky hasn't fallen?
Old 03-16-18, 07:44 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Not completely, at least yet, but we're working on it.
Old 03-16-18, 08:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
it's all BS because there's always a loophole ...: Free-trade zone, also called foreign-trade zone, formerly free port, an area within which goods may be landed, handled, manufactured or reconfigured, and reexported without the intervention of the customs authorities

for example:
there is a simple way to cut costs for manufacturing in South Florida. Prodeco Technologies, makes electric bicycles mainly from components imported from Asia. The parts require import duties that range up to 10 percent.To slash those duties, he set up a "foreign trade zone" in his Oakland Park facilities. The zone essentially remains a foreign territory, so imports going there pay no duty. Inside that "foreign" zone, he assembles the bikes. When workers "export" the bike into U.S. territory, it enters duty-free, as all imported electric bikes do. That saves the company about 4 percent duty in the process, or roughly $40 on a typical mid-price model.
Old 03-16-18, 12:38 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
it's all BS because there's always a loophole ...: Free-trade zone, also called foreign-trade zone, formerly free port, an area within which goods may be landed, handled, manufactured or reconfigured, and reexported without the intervention of the customs authorities

for example:
there is a simple way to cut costs for manufacturing in South Florida. Prodeco Technologies, makes electric bicycles mainly from components imported from Asia. The parts require import duties that range up to 10 percent.To slash those duties, he set up a "foreign trade zone" in his Oakland Park facilities. The zone essentially remains a foreign territory, so imports going there pay no duty. Inside that "foreign" zone, he assembles the bikes. When workers "export" the bike into U.S. territory, it enters duty-free, as all imported electric bikes do. That saves the company about 4 percent duty in the process, or roughly $40 on a typical mid-price model.
you are right. Recently heard a podcast about that and all larger companies like Deere etc. just get free-trade zones set up wherever they have a factory. I assume you need to hire a lobbyist and donate to some campaigns to lubricate the proces a bit.
Old 03-17-18, 06:20 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
you are right. Recently heard a podcast about that and all larger companies like Deere etc. just get free-trade zones set up wherever they have a factory. I assume you need to hire a lobbyist and donate to some campaigns to lubricate the proces a bit.
So, like everything being done by this administration, this will hurt small businesses and not the big guys.
Old 03-17-18, 07:14 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
According to an article that I read recently, each of those tariffs corresponds to a bribe that somebody paid in order to get their industry protected from competition.
Old 03-17-18, 07:30 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
So, like everything being done by this administration, this will hurt small businesses and not the big guys.
I'm not a friend of this administration, but this game is played by both parties in congress and also has been done by former administration to pander to certain groups.
Old 03-17-18, 08:32 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by stanman13
Raw material manufacturers and distributors take this very seriously, as it is their livelihood. They absolutely will bother to keep the paperwork, or else they won't be able to sell their material, if they even get it over the border at all. Heat numbers are also printed directly on the material itself. Go to any sheet metal distributor, they will be able to pull up the mill certs for any sheet in their possession, as well as for any they have sold within at least the last ten years, and in some cases for 40 years or more. Material traceability is a well-developed risk management and liability issue within the raw materials industries.

Customs is by no means limited to 10-20 minute inspection time. I've had material held up at the border for weeks, even when the certs were in good order. I make my living with this stuff.
Yes, but most if not all of this material that crosses the Canada US border arrives by truck as full truckload shipments. Eyes on inspection is extremely rare, as manpower can in no way handle the kind of volume flowing through.
Entries are now pre processed through the PAPS system, and in almost every case, the driver presents the paperwork at the drive through booth, bar codes are scanned and the truck is sent on its way.
If suspicions are raised about legitimate sources, the shipper can be audited, and that's usually how these things are caught.
I hauled freight back and forth over the border for over 40 years, so I know a bit about how this stuff goes.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 03-17-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 08:49 AM
itsivxx

Bikes: Giant and Dyno Roadster

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
Maybe with the new tariffs , it'll bring up the value of our rides lol
Old 03-17-18, 09:55 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I don't know if my Bike Friday was made with US produced steel. If not, pretty ironic that the tariffs might actually force them to increase prices and cost them some business (which could potentially lead to lay offs). They're one of a small group of US bike producers that actually make their own frames.
Old 03-17-18, 12:39 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Prices to buy these items are not going to stay the same.
I would, as a business person dealing with another business person, come up with a deal that satisfied both of us.
The quality and the price of the item must be competitive with everybody that wants our business. Including the USA.
Manufacturing is coming back to the states.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.