Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Selling on Ebay Some Tips From 20 year Seller

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Selling on Ebay Some Tips From 20 year Seller

Old 11-21-19, 03:35 PM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Ebay has been grabbing a percentage from shipping fees for sometime now. There is no getting around paying the percentage so seller pays regardless. You can still do the shipping calculator if you choose to set up your listing that way.
Old 11-21-19, 05:04 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 887 Posts
Old 11-21-19, 06:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3854 Post(s)
Liked 6,448 Times in 3,188 Posts
Seems better to setup a minimal $5 shipping instead of free shipping in case you need to refund an item ... correct?
Old 11-21-19, 06:33 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 103 Posts
I usually have a shipping charge. It weeds out a lot of scammers and nuisance returns if a buyer has to pay for return shipping before getting their full refund. The item also needs to be in sent condition. I will do free shipping on items that are not worth the time and effort of the return process and just do the refund with no return.
Old 11-21-19, 06:48 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 1,879 Times in 1,131 Posts
I think the 1099 is a sticky wicket type of thing. I have had my local co-op try to give me one because I paid a guy to fix the roof. Never mind that it was I who paid him and charged the co-op nothing treating it as a donation. As a regular tax individual it is a PITA, but in business it is just another hurdle to cross. I do not sell on E-Bay because I have contracted agreements with many of my suppliers who do not want wholesale competition for the retail dealers, and I respect that concept.
I sometimes think about using the platform for selling items, but I almost always have a secondary market that steps up. I carry a merchant account with PayPal just to keep ahead of the potential for my business to be audited. Tax liability is always a problem after the fact. A $1500 tax fine can be $13K in two weeks in some cases so I try to be proactive just in case. HTH, MH
Old 11-21-19, 08:15 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
It’s 200 transactions and $20,000 through the financial processor regardless of the sales platform. So, 200 transactions, 150 ebay, 20 FB, 10 BF, 20 back alley or wherever and $20,000 in sales. Heck, you can 1 transaction for $25,000 and not get a 1099 or 300 transactions and not get one.

Again, it’s the payment processor, PayPal, Zelle, Square etc and now eBays in on if your a ‘managed payments seller’.
This is what got me the first time. I mistakenly thought it was an eBay thing. Wrong, its a payment processor thing. I got tripped up by BF transactions, along with a handful of private transactions.

The lack of ebay fees on shipping charges went away several years ago. BITD, people would sell for $0.01 plus $25 shipping and only pay selling fees on the $0.01. No more. You get charged final value fee on everything.

As far as free shipping making it easier for buyers to find the best deal, I always sort for lowest price plus shipping first.

"Seems better to setup a minimal $5 shipping instead of free shipping in case you need to refund an item ... correct?" I do refunds so rarely it doesn't really matter. I just don't like the entitlement mentality that people think shipping should be free. Its certainly not free for me. Occasionally, when I really get tired of people asking for free shipping, I just ask them for a link of where I can ship for free and I would be glad to do it! Doesn't really help or make friends, so I try to avoid the urge!

"Don't forget, Books, Magazines, DVDs, Videos, Tapes, Recordings, etc. can be sent extremely reasonably using USPS Media Mail. You can send a lot of printed matter for less than the flat rate packs, just takes a little longer to get there, but usually a week seems to be the norm." Not completely. You can't send magazines if they have ads in them, even OLD magazines where the ads are obviously not current. But on books, DVDs, etc., you bet, I am sending them media mail. Its a bargain!

Last edited by wrk101; 11-21-19 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-22-19, 09:21 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
eBay fees on shipping: How its calculated

Its no secret that ebay charges a final value fee on shipping, I get it and have no issues. But how much is the fee? Its 10%. But what if you offer free shipping? What if the buyer selects something different?

Free shipping: Because shipping's rolled into the price its 10% of the final price. On occasion I've had a buyer request a specific type of shipping. If I normally ship economy and they tell me Priority who gets stuck with extra fee? The seller. Based on the paragraph below, if you offer FREE shipping the buyers is excluded from selecting a more expensive option. Fifty cents may not seem like much but over $100 items thats $50 which is a lot of tape and self stick labels.

Final value fees on shipping

Final values fees on shipping are based on the cost of the shipping service the buyer chooses. However, if you offer 1-day or international shipping as well as a cheaper or free option (like domestic shipping), the final value fee is calculated based on the cheapest domestic option you offer.

If you only offer 1-day or international shipping but no cheaper option like domestic shipping, you'll be charged a final value fee based on the service the buyer chooses.
As a side note, I just had buyer say something like, "Be sure to package the item with a lot a bubble wrap, please CONFIRM you got this message." What a scam, he's either flipping my item and isn't going to re-box it or is using to me get free bubble wrap. I replied, "your item will be packaged properly and arrive in the condition as pictured."
Old 11-22-19, 05:00 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

I had a buyer once demand item cannot deliver on Friday or Saturday. Like I have some kind of special pull with the USPS. It ended up delivering on a Friday.

As a top rated seller, I must ship within one day, so I can't sit on the item to hope it gets there on a different day. Lets see, buys on Tuesday, I ship on Wednesday, it delivers Friday....
Old 11-22-19, 06:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Three years working for a large eBay seller and I had enough. Finally a fella named John brought home reality one day. Why deal with people like this every single day of the year? Convinced me that eBay people are a special breed. Brick and mortar retail is sooo much better. Face to face and from your neighborhood helps keep most honest and genuine. Not everyone, but almost everyone. Breath of fresh air compared to the eBay experience.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-22-19, 10:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by miamijim
I just had buyer say something like, "Be sure to package the item with a lot a bubble wrap, please CONFIRM you got this message." What a scam, he's either flipping my item and isn't going to re-box it or is using to me get free bubble wrap.
Sounds like me asking the guy in Texas to take care in wrapping an '87 Falcon frameset. I asked him to take the fork out of the frame, too. He shrink wrapped the hell out of it after using pipe insulation and bubble wrap. Took me quite a while to unwrap. And I was so grateful.
Old 11-24-19, 07:01 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
This was a very enlightening post. I haven't sold anything on ebay for at least 10 years, seeing it as too much hassle. Perhaps I'll give it another go.
Old 11-25-19, 12:50 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
OK, I've been asked on another thread about eBay, it makes more sense to just put my reply here. If there is no interest, no problem, I will just delete this thread!

Background: I have been selling on eBay for 20 years now. This does not make me an expert, but it does give me a lot of experience. Looking back, I would have done better just buying eBay stock instead! I've sold occasionally while working a full time J O B, and I have sold more actively since I retired (13 years ago!!)

So what is your Ebay seller ID?
Old 12-05-19, 02:53 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Another tip, if you are serious on eBay, develop some metrics and track progress.

One simple metric is average selling price. I have a minimum of $25, but I also would like to do a lot better than that. So my average selling price shows progress or the lack of. Right now, my 2019 average selling price is $50. I would also like to raise my minimum number, say $30. One work around on cheaper stuff is to sell lots. Instead of selling an item for $10, sell three of them for $30. Fewer transactions = fewer headaches.

Another metric which is more work is average selling time (how long it takes to sell an item from listing to sale). Goal is to cut the time we are sitting on stuff.

Average items sold per month versus items listed per month.

I wouldn't go nutty on metrics, but tracking does help provide focus (selling too much cheap stuff for example).
Old 12-06-19, 09:30 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 887 Posts
Ebay member since 1999/2500+ transactions. Much scaled back in recent years.

The metric I use is clearing $35 per hour. This includes time spent prepping, photos, writing, listing, fees, going to the PO, etc...

If I can't hit that mark, I have better things to do with my time.
Old 12-07-19, 07:37 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Ebay member since 1999/2500+ transactions. Much scaled back in recent years.

The metric I use is clearing $35 per hour. This includes time spent prepping, photos, writing, listing, fees, going to the PO, etc...

If I can't hit that mark, I have better things to do with my time.
People overlook some of the time factor. I did a round trip drop off and pack of a frameset this week, and I even had supplies on hand. Supplies like box bikes don't just show up! You have to go get them. Then you also have the packing supplies. In my case, one and a half rolls of packing tape (not cheap), three pieces of pipe insulation, about 30 zip ties, label stock to print two labels. It all adds up. It took me 1 hour 45 minutes including the trip to drop off the shipment at the nearest Fed Ex ship point. Yesterday I shipped another one, saved a little time as it went USPS and they pick up from my front porch!

If you have "buying disorder" (like to buy stuff), you either have to find an outlet, or you WILL become a hoarder. But as a J O B, there are better gigs for sure. The really serious ebay sellers tend to focus on new items, find a source in China, or drop ship, and have thousands of listings. Thats a TON of work!
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-07-19 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 07:52 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

On dealing with customers, I find the VAST majority are NICE! You just have to be willing to handle the 2% (probably less than that) that are a royal PITA. If you let a couple of bad transactions eat you up, then ebay is not the place for you. But it can stink the crap you sometimes get.

If you are selling vintage bike parts, most of the buyers are just like people here. And they are looking for that last part to finish a project, a part they have looked for locally without success. So they tend to be HAPPY to have found that special part, at a price they consider reasonable.

Really, many of us whine too much about the customers on ebay. Its good every once in a while to reflect on feedback and realize there are a lot of good people out there!!

I went back and copied feedback I have received on bike and frame shipments. This is all of it, and I have not removed any negative comments:

"The packing job on this bike frame could withstand a tornado." (1971 Crescent Professional Reynolds 531)

"Gorgeous frame! Super fast shipping! Ridiculously well packed!! Thank you!!!! A+ " (1986 Schwinn Paramount frameset Columbus SLX)

Truly Helpful through this process. Can't understate my gratitude." (1979 Trek 930 Racing frameset Columbus SL, later bought a complete build kit of era and bike correct parts to do his build)

"Great transaction. Thanks for working with me." (1999 Merlin Aerial Titanium frameset)

"Fast Shipping, Fantastic packing, as Described!!!" (1986 Trek 500 Triseries frameset)

"Excellent. Frame was in excellent condition & very well packed." (1983 Trek 520 frameset)

"Frame was exactly as promised in the photos and description. Packing was amazing" (1970s Colin Laing frameset Reynolds 531)

"Shipped quickly, was as described, great transaction!" (1986 Centurion Ironman)

"Thanks for great packing and super bicycle; being upgraded as I write this!" (1987 Nishiki Linear Funny Bike)

Some other recent feedback on bike parts, unfiltered, this is the feedback I have received on the most recent transactions:

Very nice eBayer with fast transaction and nice items.

Nice crankset, Super fast shipping. Outstanding seller!

Just as described fast shipment! Great seller! Would buy again!

faaast ship, great packing better than advert would trade with again

Last edited by wrk101; 12-07-19 at 09:50 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 12-07-19, 10:37 AM
dailycommute

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Overall ebay seems in decline, their dropping earnings seem to back that up. Still useful to find the occasional good deal as a buyer on lightly used things (got a great deal on my preferred windurfing sail maker this year), but relative to selling I just give stuff away or take to goodwill. Just not worth my time relative to hassle.
Old 12-07-19, 12:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by wrk101
It all adds up. It took me 1 hour 45 minutes including the trip to drop off the shipment at the nearest Fed Ex ship point.
I like shipbikes.com. They charge only $5 for Fedex Ground to pick up the bike at my residence.

But, yeah, it is definitely a lot of work to pack a bike.
Old 12-07-19, 01:50 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
What wrk said in post #40 makes a lot of sense and its something I've done in the past. Sometimes it can be profitable to bundle. Ex. 5 $30 items could cost $35 to ship, bundle them and shipping may only cost $7. Thats a $28 saving which could go towards drop the bundle price $150 to $135 and your still coming out $13 ahead.

Time is time but its doesn't always cost anything. If you have nothing else to do then your time is free so whats it matter?

I just saw my lifetime sales.. $115/average
Old 12-08-19, 06:32 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Comment from a buyer: when setting shipping costs be reasonable. I have passed on a number of items because it was clear shipping was just a way of marking up the actual item (ie a set of decals that could be posted in an envelope for under $2 with a $30 shipping charge).
Old 12-08-19, 07:28 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Great post!
I too have been buying and selling on eBay for 18 years.
things I've learned on both ends.
ship fast and include tracking.
pack well to avoid damage.
be honest and take closeups.
answer questions quickly
don't sell what you cant ship safely.
if you auction low, be prepared to lose.
deliver superior customer service.
Buying:
be cautious when buying.
don't bid on stuff you cant pay for.
sometimes it's not what you expected. Think hard about who is at fault before you make a claim.
love it or hate it. EBay is still a great way to buy and sell vintage stuff.
it is what it is.
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 12-08-19, 06:53 PM
udougu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks