Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mounting flat bar Brake Levers on drop bars?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 03:35 PM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am using an Eagle group set, from SRAM of course. I am having difficulty finding hooded brake levers without shifting mechanisms.

I was wondering if I could just mount my flat bar brake levers on the drops? I use MicroSHIFT shifters. I have a thumb & bar end shifter, as well....

Suggestions?

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-17-20 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-17-20, 03:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
What brakes are you running?
Old 05-17-20, 03:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
You wanting something like modern STI's that run the cables back under the bar tape? Probably going to have to look for a used pair on Ebay and just not use the shifter part. Otherwise, there should be many of the old style brake levers we use on bikes before STI's became the thing and shifters were on the downtube. Though new is probably going to be a cheap'o brand.

I'd consider a different groupset though that works for drop bars. Eagle is a mountain bike flat bar group.
Old 05-17-20, 05:09 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
https://www.gevenalle.com/product/si...-cable-brakes/ Cane Creek (which these might be, rebranded) and Tektro have similar/identical.
Old 05-17-20, 06:50 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Good luck.
Old 05-17-20, 06:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Tektro has inexpensive brake levers For drop bars that work quite well... RL340 or RL341.

John
Old 05-17-20, 07:18 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Here are some others:
Cane Creek Drop V levers
Sram S500 or Rival 1
Tektro RL520
Shimano Tiagra BL-R400.
Old 05-17-20, 07:29 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by McMitchell
I was wondering if I could just mount my flat bar brake levers on the drops?
Flat bar lever clamps are smaller diameter than drop bar. Some won't fit without modification, those that can fit may deform your bar.

There may be road levers that work for ya. As another poster asks, what brakes you got?
Old 05-17-20, 10:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Having used SRAM S500 levers on several bikes, what is wrong with those? If price is an issue Cane Creek and Tektro make some levers as well as others (Shimano made some great ones for a while). If you want Hydro TRP makes the Hylex. Or you can run any number of awesome alt and flat bars. My favorites would be the Koga Denham and the Surly Moloko though I am interested in trying the Ti Cycles 15˚ Kiss Halo bars maybe with some aero bar extensions. and the world is pretty much yours.

If you are dead set on running flat bar style levers on a drop bar then go for a cross lever like one from Paul or Cane Creek.
Old 05-18-20, 02:00 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=33999
Old 05-20-20, 09:36 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I made posts which apparently never showed up in this thread?

I have hooded brake levers that are due to show up at Cartecay Bike Shop today. I was posing the question as Cartecay Bikes is dealing with a backlog of repairs to old bikes, apparently everyone has drug out their old bikes during the Pandemic! Cartecay Bikes knows I dabble as a bike mechanic. They suggested I get started moving parts, allowing them to check my work...!

I can’t seem to get a picture to insert. I am trying to post from an iPad Pro. There seem to be some “glitches” in the “new” iPad version of the IOS!

Last edited by McMitchell; 05-20-20 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-20-20, 10:00 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Even if flat bar brake lever clamps could be modified to fit 26mm drop bar diameter ... the lever shape is all wrong ... even if you moved them up to the flats ... cross levers would be a better idea for the flats. And what about the shifter(s)? When I did a flats to drops convo several years ago I decided to separate the braking and shifting functions because (at the time) prices for 9sp brifters were simply insane. So I got some Tektro levers and also Downtube shifters. When DT shifters were dominant, downtube diameters were 27mm. The dt of my Raleigh Coupe was 50mm! Found a guy on Ebay making DT bosses to fit large diameter tubing.
Old 05-20-20, 10:16 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am measuring the width at the bottom of the drops on the handlebars I bought, at 23mm, which is the same measurement I get on my riser bar, hence the question! I have MicroShift thumb and bar end shifters, which I believe will fit the new bar as well.

The brake levers on my riser bar (RXL-SL) are SRAMs. I tried to get a picture to post multiple times. There is something weird going on with the “new” version of the iPad IOS! The software tries to reformat pages!

Last edited by McMitchell; 05-20-20 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-20-20, 10:21 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I am measuring the width at the bottom of the drops on the handlebars I bought, at 23mm, which is the same measurement I get on my riser bar, hence the question!
Spec for MTB bars is 22.2mm, road 23.8.

As I mentioned earlier, some flat bar brakes will fit drop bars, but may deform them a bit upon tightening. Many flat bar lever clamps would need to be reamed a bit.
Old 05-20-20, 10:44 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Old steel dropbar handlebars were also 22.2mm. One thing though. Even if you did get your flatbar brake levers onto your dropbar, will you be able to reach the brake lever?

Another option would be to consider putting cyclo-cross aka interrupter levers onto the straight portion of your dropbar.

This guy put his flatbar brake levers onto the lower straight portion of his handlebar.

Cheers
Old 05-20-20, 10:48 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Old steel dropbar handlebars were also 22.2mm.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. I've seen bars on low-end Walmart road bikes as recently as 2013 that had 22.2 lever clamp diameter.
Old 05-20-20, 11:41 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike I am working on!

I finally figured out how to insert text with this picture. I used the Apple Support APP, available at the Apple store, to finally get this picture posted!

Cartecay Bike Shop might be surprised to hear, they sold me a low-end Walmart bike ;-)

Last edited by McMitchell; 05-20-20 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Trying to post picture!
Old 05-20-20, 03:28 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actual measurment!

Maybe someone else’s bifocals are better than mine?

My hands and legs may not have been steady enough to take this shot, I tried! I will admit once I got the SRAM brake levers off the “old riser bar” it did not want to go on the new handlebar. So there may be a single mm difference on some bars? Old eyes may not be able to see that “fine“ print.

Looks, close to 22-23mm to me!

Last edited by McMitchell; 05-20-20 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 03:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Maybe someone else’s bifocals are better than mine?

My hands and legs may not have been steady enough to take this shot, I tried! I will admit once I got the SRAM brake levers off the “old riser bar” it did not want to go on the new handlebar. So there may be a single mm difference on some bars?

Looks, close to 22-23mm to me!
Those bars should be 23.8. Usually the best method without calipers or micrometer is to wrap a strip of paper around the bar. Mark it, measure it to find circumference. Divide that by pi to arrive at radius.

BUT it looks like you have the brake levers right there, its a go/nogo situation. Pull a grip, and try to put one of those brake levers on. As others have noted ergonomics will be terrible, but if the shoe fits... Keep in mind that even if it fits on the end, it might not get past the bends, depending on the clamp type.

In other news, is that a thumbshifter for rear shift duties?

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-20-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 07:59 PM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Those bars should be 23.8. Usually the best method without calipers or micrometer is to wrap a strip of paper around the bar. Mark it, measure it to find circumference. Divide that by pi to arrive at radius.

BUT it looks like you have the brake levers right there, its a go/nogo situation. Pull a grip, and try to put one of those brake levers on. As others have noted ergonomics will be terrible, but if the shoe fits... Keep in mind that even if it fits on the end, it might not get past the bends, depending on the clamp type.

In other news, is that a thumbshifter for rear shift duties?
I found my calipers, took me a while to get the calipers working. I get a reading of 23.82.... Yea, it was a nogo, However, I did not try to “force” them on. I have rubber, wood hammers, dead blows.....they come close to going on.......

I was only fooling with this while I was waiting on hooded levers, whichCartecay Bike Shop ordered and expects to arrive today or tomorrow...I hate not being able to ride my bike! Although there are advantages to trying to maintain a constant pace on the recumbent!

Yes, my bike has a 12 speed SRAM Eagle group set, no front ring! It is a MicroShift 12 speed thumb shifter, viewable on Youtube. I also have a MicroShift bar end shifter, which I bought in case the thumb shifter would not slide on the drop bars. I did a “review” of the MicroShift shifters which garnered quite a few comments! They are very reliable/adjustable.....

Last edited by McMitchell; 05-21-20 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-23-20, 02:15 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
You can get drop bar handlebars in MTB diameter (22,2mm).

I have them on my kid‘s racing bike, purchased through Amazon IIRC.