Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata 914 I'm not sure what to do with it.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata 914 I'm not sure what to do with it.

Old 05-28-20, 05:45 PM
Rdytoroll

Bikes: 1991 Miyata Nine 14, 2009 Scott Sub 20 - Converted to Mid Drive E-Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for that. This would have me sitting more upright and more of my weight where I want it on the seat? Maybe I should just try a stem first and replace the bars also if I'm still not happy.
Old 05-28-20, 05:53 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdytoroll
Thanks for that. This would have me sitting more upright and more of my weight where I want it on the seat? Maybe I should just try a stem first and replace the bars also if I'm still not happy.
Theoretically, yep. Here are a couple of good threads that discuss, which came up with a google search "bikeforums quill stem length angle".

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...em-length.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ngth-also.html

There are links to useful tools and use of the key terminology when talking about stem specifics.
Old 05-28-20, 09:59 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Nine 14 with adjustments to seat and stem. Better fit but still uncomfortable.

Scott Sub 20 my normal ride. No issues with comfort.
Beautiful bike, but looks pretty stretched out as is. If I was in this sort of "position" and looking for comfort, I'd pick up a Nitto 70mm deluxe stem (one of my favorites in finish and function, linked below) along with a Thomson zero setback post and Brooks B17 saddle - plus a compact bar, as recommended by @RiddleOfSteel. And, if your 914 will accept them, 32mm GP5000s. Some or all of these things would transform the fit and feel, no question.

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-ntc-...ng_870/product
Old 05-28-20, 10:43 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
Beautiful bike, but looks pretty stretched out as is. If I was in this sort of "position" and looking for comfort, I'd pick up a Nitto 70mm deluxe stem (one of my favorites in finish and function, linked below) along with a Thomson zero setback post and Brooks B17 saddle - plus a compact bar, as recommended by @RiddleOfSteel. And, if your 914 will accept them, 32mm GP5000s. Some or all of these things would transform the fit and feel, no question.

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-ntc-...ng_870/product
Thanks! I like all those suggestions. I'm hesitant to spend much on the bike if I am not sure I will be happy with the end result. I'll consider starting with the stem and a bar to see if I feel more comfortable. 32mm tires also sound appealing I'm pretty sure they would fit,
Old 05-28-20, 10:46 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
You wont want to go this far, but just so you know, this started out as an 81 912.
Old 05-28-20, 10:51 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good looking bike. I agree I don't want to go quite that far.
Old 05-28-20, 10:59 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Good looking bike. I agree I don't want to go quite that far.
when u get old u do crazy things. I think i will tour on it this year.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-28-20, 11:16 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
Shorter stem (100mm) and compact-profile bars on one of my bikes. I ain't ridin' no 130, that's for sure. It's wonderful to steer and when climbing out of the saddle, not anything I have to worry about. A super long setup would have me wagging and dipping the bars as I rocked back and forth out of the saddle.

Old 05-28-20, 11:17 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
My ‘79 912, owned since new, never felt quite right, feeling more “on” than “ in” the bike, until I found this seat-post with lots of setback. I’m quite leggy, comfortable on 62-63cm frames while only 6’0” tall. And FWIW, I’d say that you’d be more likely to find a comfortable fit on a bigger frame, judging by your seatpost extension.

And here’s the overall bike, which is now very comfortable.The front bag and rack are part of an extensive front end modification to enable front loads. That’s a very different conversation, but comfort wasn’t affected.

Old 05-28-20, 11:17 PM
Dfrost 

Sorry, duplicate post, edited away.

But it’s worth noting as long as I’m here, that good friend RiddleOfSteel with the lovely black Paramount above, is 6’5” tall, 5” more than me, and yet our saddle heights and frame size preferences are very similar. We occasionally do a ride where we ride each other’s bikes. My time on his Paramount was delightful. His cockpit is a bit longer and bars are lower, but certainly fine for an hour or two when we swap.

Last edited by Dfrost; 05-28-20 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 08:41 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So I rode my Scott Sub20 today. Really noticed the difference in comfort compared to the Miyata. . I am stretched out high and wide on the Scott. I like that. I ride with my hands out far on the ergo bar of the Scott I would really like to get the same fit and feel on the Nine 14 as the Scott without making the bike look silly. How about a riser drop bar? Ergo bars or bullhorns on the Nine 14? What would I use as a stem in that case?

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 05-29-20 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 10:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-dyna...c2_870/product

Plus

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/highway-1-bar

Equals shorter reach and a bit more upright ride.

Wider tires won't make the poor fit feel better.
Old 05-30-20, 03:22 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Something I like when playing around with quill stem height and handlebar reach is an adjustable stem. That allows me to change height and to certain degree, reach as well of the stem.

I can set the stem to a certain position, ride the bike for a few days, then change either the height or the reach. I do that until I find the combination that works best for me. Then if I want to I'll by a quill stem that matches those measurements and angles. Most times I just leave the adjustable stem on.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-30-20, 06:57 AM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably go with the Nitto Dynamic 2 Quill Stem and Soma Highway One bar.Hope I don't feel too compact with this setup.. As far as the bar is concerned is there really any noticeable difference between a 40mm and 42mm or 44mm bar? What size should I get? Any suggestions for a good bar tape?

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 05-30-20 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-01-20, 08:27 AM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Have been searching and I'm really liking the look of this setup. Anyone know where I could find a stem similar to that one? Are those dirt drop bars?

Old 06-01-20, 11:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Have been searching and I'm really liking the look of this setup. Anyone know where I could find a stem similar to that one? Are those dirt drop bars?
https://velo-orange.com/products/cigne-stem
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-bar-handlebar

That pic is of the two product above. You need a threadless steerer for that stem.
Old 06-01-20, 11:39 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Like mstateglfr says, that's the Piolet stem, and it needs to go on a threadless steerer, which you don't have. However, the key characteristics look like 1) tall, 2)lots of rise, 3) moderate reach, 4) wide bars, 5) shallow drop.

Here is one idea, as a start:

Nitto Dirt Drop with 90mm height, 100mm reach, 26.0 clamp: https://www.benscycle.com/Nitto-Dirt...SABEgIzd_D_BwE
Dajia shallow bars 46cm wide, 26.0 clamp diameter: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...nt=50649893383

I am not sure if this is the ideal set up for you, but it's just one example of how you can mimic the characteristics you might like in a pictured setup.
Old 06-01-20, 06:02 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I appreciate all the suggestions. Almost too many choices. I ordered a taller stem with a shorter reach. I will try that with the current handlebars and see if that helps. If I find that setup more comfortable I will then consider also changing the handle bars.
Old 06-02-20, 02:04 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Never knew there were so many stems and bars to choose from. I'm hesitant to purchase anything higher quality as I don't want to "invest" money into the bike if I don't know if I will be happy with the end result. My understanding is that if I purchase a stem and/or handlebars and I install them the bike I cannot return the items. They would probably have marks or scratches and cannot be returned to the seller. That is understandable. Is that the experience of those on this forum? Once you install the parts you are stuck with them? I guess I could resell the items as used on Ebay if they don't work out.
Old 06-02-20, 02:31 PM
noobinsf 

Never knew there were so many stems and bars to choose from. I'm hesitant to purchase anything higher quality as I don't want to "invest" money into the bike if I don't know if I will be happy with the end result. My understanding is that if I purchase a stem and/or handlebars and I install them the bike I cannot return the items. They would probably have marks or scratches and cannot be returned to the seller. That is understandable. Is that the experience of those on this forum? Once you install the parts you are stuck with them? I guess I could resell the items as used on Ebay if they don't work out.
Yes, tinkering results in a lot of reselling, but only if you tinker with a lot of different things. Buying and returning isn't really fair to the retailer (unless you genuinely make a mistake and buy something you did not know was incompatible.)

In the end, you're investing in your tactile knowledge of how the bike feels with different components, so it is worthwhile to spend a little time with a measuring tape to see where you may want to trim or add some length/width, and then spend some time researching before you buy. That way, you start from more-than-zero and can spend some time acclimating to a new setup and make a decision. Also, if you buy parts of decent quality, you can always use them on a different bike if you decide this one does not fit.

EDIT: Your approach of trying your current bars with a new stem is a good incremental way to do this. You may find that it transforms the way the bike feels.

Last edited by noobinsf; 06-02-20 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-02-20, 02:47 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Yes, tinkering results in a lot of reselling, but only if you tinker with a lot of different things. Buying and returning isn't really fair to the retailer (unless you genuinely make a mistake and buy something you did not know was incompatible.)

In the end, you're investing in your tactile knowledge of how the bike feels with different components, so it is worthwhile to spend a little time with a measuring tape to see where you may want to trim or add some length/width, and then spend some time researching before you buy. That way, you start from more-than-zero and can spend some time acclimating to a new setup and make a decision. Also, if you buy parts of decent quality, you can always use them on a different bike if you decide this one does not fit.

EDIT: Your approach of trying your current bars with a new stem is a good incremental way to do this. You may find that it transforms the way the bike feels.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Talk about research. I can't believe how much time I have spend just researching stems and bars. Fortunately I'm recently retired so I have the time and need a hobby . Is beer drinking considered a hobby?

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 06-02-20 at 02:58 PM.
Likes For Rdytoroll:
Old 06-02-20, 05:43 PM
Dfrost 

If you pay the small fee to become a Premium member, you’ll have access to sell (and buy) on the C&V Sales subforum, and you won’t have any ads, either. No EBay fees! We are a pretty friendly bunch to help you out, as I hope you’ve discovered in this thread.
Old 06-02-20, 05:49 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
If you pay the small fee to become a Premium member, you’ll have access to sell (and buy) on the C&V Sales subforum, and you won’t have any ads, either. No EBay fees! We are a pretty friendly bunch to help you out, as I hope you’ve discovered in this thread.
Thanks I will consider doing that. Yes I agree the members of this forum has been very friendly and helpful, I appreciate that very much.
Old 06-02-20, 08:54 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Talk about research. I can't believe how much time I have spend just researching stems and bars. Fortunately I'm recently retired so I have the time and need a hobby . Is beer drinking considered a hobby?
Couple things that may help. Don't wrap your bar after swapping components initially until you have things dialed in. I would highly suggest a 80mm stem length with extra long quill like a Nitto technomic. Also would suggest a Nitto Noodle drop bar in a 42-46 cm width range. That added width is a very nice feel on the back. Good luck on the hunting. Again, that road frame should be a nice rider so when you find a bar fit you like it should ride wonderfully. Not sure of the tires you have on there either but someone 25c to 28c width will add to the comfort.
Old 06-03-20, 06:12 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I don’t think it’s too small. Looking at seat angles on both bike It seems as if there’s a fit issue, both seats are probably too high.

ive never been a fan of trying to make a bike into something it isn’t. 916 has full racing geometry..... you can do whatever to the bars/stem but at the end of the day it’s still a racing bike.

tip: set your seat heat
1. Level seat. Place a straight on seat and level it
2. Take your shoes off
3. Hop on bike and hold yourself up
4. Place bare heel on center of pedal and pedal backwards
raise/lower seat until you heel just barely makes contact with pedal.
5. Do NOT rock your hips.
6. With shoes on and ball of foot over center of pedal you’ll proper knee bend. Or it’ll be very very close.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.