Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Custom fixed gear project - 21 speed GMC Denali road bike

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-01-15, 08:37 AM
newbie2bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my first custom break down and rebuild so please give me any suggestions you may have! I bought this blue GMC Denali on Craigslist for $30 since it had been sitting outside for a while and started to get pretty nasty. After purchase I rushed home and grabbed a wire brush and took off the old paint job since it had quite a bit of blemishes. I also shaved all of the brake cable stays down nice and flush with the bike frame since this bad boy is going to be brake-less. The stock wheels also had a lot of corrosion so I found a set of new Fulcrum Racing 6 take offs on Craigslist for $60 (a steal since they sell new for over $250.) the handle bars were also junk so I found a nice set of aluminum bull horn bars on eBay for $10 with grip tape included. Total investment so far is only $100 and it's starting look pretty good. I'm most likely going to powder coat the frame at a local shop for $75 (not sure what color yet) and now I'm now at the point where I'm looking for a good BB, single speed crankset, conversion kit for the rear hub and tires. Any feedback on the build so far and advice on the parts I'm looking for will be much appreciated! (Hopefully the pictures work)

DAY OF PURCHASE

NOW
Old 06-01-15, 08:56 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You don't know what you are doing. You have wasted your money. That frame is completely inappropriate for "fixed gear" if that is what you mean. You cannot convert that wheel to fixed. Most importantly build threads suck even when they are done by someone cool. Build threads by incompetents are worthless.
Old 06-01-15, 09:03 AM
Flatulentfox

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That wheel cannot be converted to fixed. You have vertical dropouts, so unless you use a magic gear ratio, you wont be able to ride it fixed either.
Old 06-01-15, 09:41 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Technically, the wheel could be converted, if you got a fixed hub and relaced the wheel. I think OP took a huge dive into a pond and didn't check to see what was in there first. Curious about how much the frame weighs. Those were heavy bikes if I remember correctly.
Old 06-01-15, 09:49 AM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
OP, I feel bad for ya, man... those GMC bikes are not good, and as the others have stated, can't be converted to fixed gear. You could salvage this as a single speed if you wanted by adding a chain tensioner and picking up a single speed rear wheel (not worth it to sink any money into the stock back wheel). But speaking from my little bit of experience, I'd sell this bike and find something else more appropriate to convert. Good luck, I'd hate to see you sour on biking because of one botched project... we've all got a few of those in our past.
Old 06-01-15, 10:16 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
You don't know what you are doing. You have wasted your money. That frame is completely inappropriate for "fixed gear" if that is what you mean. You cannot convert that wheel to fixed. Most importantly build threads suck even when they are done by someone cool. Build threads by incompetents are worthless.

Boom. There it is.
Old 06-01-15, 10:27 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Magic gear ratio, bb rings for spacers, suicide hub plus loctite red

get foot retention and ride at your own risk
Old 06-01-15, 10:29 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
Magic gear ratio, bb rings for spacers, suicide hub plus loctite red

get foot retention and ride at your own risk
Not sure which is more dangerous, this setup, or the GMC Denali bike.
Old 06-01-15, 10:41 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
I lol'd irl. Damn I miss these forums.
Old 06-01-15, 10:50 AM
newbie2bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The botched project doesn't sour me on biking, I have $100 in it (and I can sell the wheels for more than that) it's the ******* comments from people when I clearly stated in new at this is whats souring to me. I thought the biking community was a decent crowd, I'm now beginning to question my thinking.
Old 06-01-15, 10:54 AM
newbie2bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could someone that isn't a ****** bag point me in he right direction on a good frame for fixed? I will be selling the wheels and getting fixed gear wheels l, I just thought I could make it work by some of the other forums I've read. I genuinely apologize that I'm not an expert in the first week of my new hobby.
Old 06-01-15, 11:02 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
This Sheldon Brown page talks about fixed gear conversions. Fixed Gear Conversions A decent 1980s bike is your best shot at this project. Research what the general frame size you will need and then scour Craigslist for a bike or frame. Post what you find here so we can tell you if the frame will work and is worth the effort.

This forum and road cycling forum can be rough at times but no one means any real harm. Stick around, read a lot, grow a thicker skin.
Old 06-01-15, 11:05 AM
newbie2bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks hairnet - I'll be sure to post pictures before buying another mistake.
Old 06-01-15, 12:20 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by newbie2bikes
Could someone that isn't a ****** bag point me in he right direction on a good frame for fixed? I will be selling the wheels and getting fixed gear wheels l, I just thought I could make it work by some of the other forums I've read. I genuinely apologize that I'm not an expert in the first week of my new hobby.
Buy first, research second is always the best was to do things.
Old 06-01-15, 01:34 PM
Dan515

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#kilott ....?
Old 06-01-15, 01:51 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
just made black bean and quinoa burgers smothered in sriracha mayo

ive mastered the art of taking healthy food and obliterating it with unhealthyness
Old 06-01-15, 02:17 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
@newbie2bikes you might ask in the mechanics forum before abandoning the idea.

That frame weighs about 4 pounds, fork is 3.5 IIRC.
Old 06-01-15, 03:03 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Fulcrum Racing 6 take offs on Craigslist for $60 (a steal since they sell new for over $250.)
Selling the wheels as a new takeoff from your specialized bike, eh?
Fulcrum Racing 6 Clincher Wheelset 9 10 Speed Shimano SRAM Take Offs New | eBay

So you bought a used wheelset on craigslist and are now trying to pass them as new on ebay for an extra $110. Ugh.

Old 06-01-15, 03:07 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
The botched project doesn't sour me on biking, I have $100 in it (and I can sell the wheels for more than that) it's the ******* comments from people when I clearly stated in new at this is whats souring to me. I thought the biking community was a decent crowd, I'm now beginning to question my thinking.
Hoo boy, that would be a wrong assumption. You should read the sticky welcome threads at the top of the subforums.

Do get some thicker skin though. We've all had bonehead moments, trust me. We may not be entirely decent, but most of us know our bikes. There's a lot of knowledge to be had if you stick around.
Old 06-01-15, 03:22 PM
readygetsetBen

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SM2000 with drop bars and Nitto technomic stem; 194? CCM Step Through; ???? Stumpjumper (currently frame)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here you go. Buy this rear hub and pay someone to lace it to that rim or a new one and you should be on your way to a fixie! Don't forget you'll need a new crankset! Good luck!!

ENO ? White Industries

--edit--

sorry not just any of the hubs, make sure you get the Eric's Eccentric ENO model
Old 06-01-15, 04:13 PM
neamatoad
forever shiny and chrome

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
NOW
the front QR skewer (or the whole wheel) is in backwards. the lever should be on the left side of the bike
Old 06-01-15, 04:34 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Now I want to make an inappropriate whack conversion... brb.
Old 06-01-15, 04:35 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Look for a frame with a suitable rear end. It needs horizontal drop outs or track ends so you can adjust chain slack. Look for frames with 120mm spacing. If you buy and aluminum frame it can't be re-spaced. If you find a steel frame that you like, it's rear triangle can safely be narrowed or widened.
Old 06-01-15, 04:53 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
just buy one first, make sure you like the hobby, then build:

FREE SHIP48+ Save Up to 60% Off Track Bkes | SingleSpeed Bikes | Fixie | Windsor Bikes - The Hour LTD | Save up to 60% off Fixed gear and singlespeed bicycles

It's a great hobby (building up bikes) -- and requires some amount of research first. That GMC wasn't worth the $30, unfortunately, and put you in a corner with options.
Old 06-01-15, 05:27 PM
Thade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no biggie, it's a tough crowd here but you're in the right place. Don't know much about ur wheels but if they were a great deal you may still be in good shape financially.
chalk it up to experience & at least you got some experience stripping the frame and tinkering with something inexpensive. No need to waste money powder coating but either leave it raw, spray paint it, polish up the old parts and put it back together and you may even make a few bucks re-selling it. GMC is not the best bike in the world but for some reason, a lot of people are buying them.

good luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.