Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting over an accident

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Getting over an accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 08:55 PM
Spoakland

Bikes: Trek 7.4fx, Motobecane Ti LeChampion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting over an accident

Well, I had my first car-related accident -- a guy pulled out right in front of me. I yelled to get his attention, but he just kept on going. I couldn't come to a complete stop and ended up on the hood of his car. Miraculously both I and my bike are fine, though I'm trying to process all of this.

Anyone have any tips/advice? Part of me wants to get back in the saddle, but not sure how to come to terms with what happened. The freakish thing is that there was really nothing I could have done. There were no obstructions, it was in the day time and I was wearing fairly conspicuous clothing. He just plum didn't see me.

I'm thinking of riding in a group from now on and maybe investing in a daytime light... Anyone have suggestions for front lights that are visible in the day? Any other tips?
Old 09-06-16, 09:24 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Airzound Airhorn It has caught the attention of many distracted drivers, but not all.
Old 09-06-16, 09:30 PM
saint mucus

Bikes: Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike, Diamondback Insight 1, Nashbar Flat bar road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You just got spooked. I've been ridding motorcycles for 20 yrs, been spooked a few times, there's now way I could live without riding. If you feel the same about bicycles you'll ride again, fact is your going to die, just do what you love until then and don't worry about it.
Old 09-06-16, 09:39 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoakland
....... The freakish thing is that there was really nothing I could have done. ..... Anyone have suggestions for front lights that are visible in the day? Any other tips?
Nothing freakish about it. The fact is... we all die... no one gets out of this alive. And you're correct... there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it. If you continue to participate in dangerous activities.... like getting off the couch... accidents and injuries are also a sure thing.

Flashing lights, and bright clothing might make you feel safer. But it might be better to just come to terms with your own mortality.... and fragility. Then... you can put this worry and concern behind you... and enjoy the one and only life you have. That's what I've done anyway. Works for me.
Old 09-06-16, 09:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Group rides are a good idea until you get your confidence back. Groups are more visible and often safer, especially well organized groups with traffic control.

And practice good panic braking techniques and evasive actions in a safe location until it becomes reflexive, a habit. By "safe location" I mean a place without other traffic -- vehicles, bikes, pedestrians. There's still a risk of falling while practicing, but you can either pick a grassy spot with soft ground or wear protective pads.

You might find an experienced cyclist in your area to mentor you in safety and evasive actions. Sometimes an objective and experienced eye can spot things we're doing that we're not aware of.

Regarding lights, I almost always run flashing white lights on my bike and/or helmet, day and night, especially where cars may be. The exceptions are on the open sections of the MUP with unobstructed sight lines. However there's a section of winding trail with heavy tree cover and obstructed sight lines -- I've noticed it's much easier to see other cyclists through the foliage when they run white flashers, so I've done that as well. I aim them downward a bit to avoid blinding folks.

And I'm adding a much brighter red flashing rear LED. My existing lights are fine for low light, but drivers need a bit more help in daylight.
Old 09-06-16, 09:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Same thing could have happened while walking, driving, you could slip in the shower and kill yourself. Your spouse could kill you for buying another bike.

You will get over it. How quickly you get over it depends a lot on how much you want to.

One thing I hope you learn is Never to trust drivers in side streets or driveways. I don't care if they look at you, make eye contact, and wave ... they will still pull out if they see an opening between cars, even if a bike is there.

it was not your fault ... but next time you will automatically slow down in advance because you will know what boneheads drivers can be.
Old 09-07-16, 08:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
You might want to take the same approach you took when learning to ride. Start on quiet streets or bike paths until you're comfortable on slightly busier streets. Work your way up to riding like you were last week. Just don't push the boundaries of your comfort zone too much. Since you learned the necessary cycling skills before, the process shouldn't take as long this time -- no need to go through your teenage years again!
Old 09-07-16, 10:31 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
500 lumen blinking front light.
Old 09-07-16, 10:42 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by saint mucus
You just got spooked. I've been ridding motorcycles for 20 yrs, been spooked a few times, there's now way I could live without riding. If you feel the same about bicycles you'll ride again, fact is your going to die, just do what you love until then and don't worry about it.
+1, an accident can easily spook you, but you have to keep it in perspective and get past it, maybe with a lesson learned that may (that's MAY - there are no guaranties).

One thing to consider is the number of years you''ve ridden without an accident, and consider how much more likely it is to not have an accident.

A daylight strobe headlight may help, as might riding a bit farther out into the lane to improve sight lines, but the reality is that it's easy for drivers to miss seeing bicycles because we present a small profile and can easily hide at the edge of sight lines. So it's up to you to be as alert as possible, especially riding along parked cars, or approaching intersections.

So, my advice boils down to learn what you can from this, then put it out of your mind and move on as if it never happened.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-07-16, 10:45 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
This Strobe gets their attention...

CREE XM T6 1000Lm LED Headlight-20.02 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Old 09-07-16, 11:55 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
You are fine. Your bike is fine. What are you spooked about?
Old 09-07-16, 12:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I can sympathize. I crashed and cracked my collarbone in June, and my first few rides were pretty shaky ... in part because i wasn't fully healed, but in part because some part of my brain wanted to seize up when I had to really control the bike (cars passing at high speed with no bike lane or breakdown lane and an uneven roadside with debris, for instance.)

Thing is, I knew it was all in my mind, and the countless thousands of safe miles I have biked already prove that cycling is safe. I just had to consciously dismiss the fear and in a couple rides I was fine.

Want to get over it. Make yourself get over it. It is your mind, make it do what you want it to.
Old 09-07-16, 12:03 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I crashed pretty good the Sunday night before I was set to start a Monday morning European tour. Getting up in pain the next morning, forcing myself on the bike, and going out for 55 miles that day took care of all the worry. Granted, I really didn't have an alternative option besides bailing and taking the train. Took a couple days to get back to full confidence, but by Wednesday I was back to blasting over wet cobblestones, even if the pain reminder of what could happen in that situation was still there...
Old 09-07-16, 12:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
It's easy to get spooked by a close call.

It's similar in both cause and effect to PTSD, and can have an effect for a while after the event. In time the OP will get over it, especially if he gets back on the bike immediately.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-07-16, 12:13 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Originally Posted by FBinNY

It's similar in both cause and effect to PTSD, and can have an effect for a while after the event. In time the OP will get over it, especially if he gets back on the bike immediately.
It's a tad demeaning to compare the injuries of battle-hardened veterans.... as similar to a bicycle close-call, near accident. They ain't even close.
Old 09-07-16, 12:18 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Did he stop after you ended up on his hood? Either way did you contact the police? As for getting back on the bike, the group ride idea sounds good. How far way from low traffic back roads are you? You could drive there and ride on them until you feel comfortable riding in traffic again. Glad you are ok.
Old 09-07-16, 12:37 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by FBinNY

That's what I don't understand. There were no physical or financial injuries as a byproduct of the event. There was neither suffering nor witnessing of suffering, so I don't see it as a traumatic event.

That's not meant as a put down of the OP. His/her experience is just something I have difficulty understanding.
Old 09-07-16, 12:41 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
It's a tad demeaning to compare the injuries of battle-hardened veterans.... as similar to a bicycle close-call, near accident. They ain't even close.
PTSD isn't reserved for war veterans. Many experiences, in addition to those of the battlefield can cause it.
Old 09-07-16, 12:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
That's what I don't understand. There were no physical or financial injuries as a byproduct of the event. There was neither suffering nor witnessing of suffering, so I don't see it as a traumatic event.

That's not meant as a put down of the OP. His/her experience is just something I have difficulty understanding.
Somebody went through a trauma that might easily have ended his life, apparently it was only blind luck that prevented an awful demise. Of course they're going to be gun shy about it afterward!
Old 09-07-16, 12:57 PM
Seattle Forrest

Only if you're out fishing for reasons to be offended. By the way you're the only person who mentioned anything about battles and veterans. The rest of us are talking about fear and bicycles.
Old 09-07-16, 12:58 PM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Somebody went through a trauma that might easily have ended his life, apparently it was only blind luck that prevented an awful demise. Of course they're going to be gun shy about it afterward!
Disabled veterans are NOT.... gun shy.
Old 09-07-16, 12:59 PM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Only if you're out fishing for reasons to be offended. By the way you're the only person who mentioned anything about battles and veterans. The rest of us are talking about fear and bicycles.
You need to read the posts you comment on.
Old 09-07-16, 01:02 PM
Dave Cutter

PTSD isn't reserved for war veterans. Many experiences, in addition to those of the battlefield can cause it.
True.... but rarely! In almost all documented cases PTSD is a veteran experience.
Old 09-07-16, 01:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Spoakland
Anyone have any tips/advice?
No, but I have a story. I got hit while doing hill repeats, almost a year ago. Came to in the street, got loaded onto an ambulance, and let out of the hospital late the next day. Bike was a total loss. I could barely walk for weeks. Can you say "cabin fever?" "Depression?" I've been a cyclist all my life, and don't really enjoy spending large chunks of time indoors.

It was months before I got on a bike again. I started doing short test rides to find a replacement. They were joyous occasions. Back on a bicycle!

Well, I picked one out and bought it and started riding a lot. It's a somewhat different style than my last bike and I've enjoyed it very much.

I get extremely nervous when I'm in traffic and somebody does something stupid, or when I'm near where I got hit. (I can't avoid it because it's the street I live on.) Some days I don't ride because I can't shake this bad feeling, but those days are rare.

In my case, there wasn't really a choice. I never felt like I faced a decision to start riding again or not, it was always a question of when I can get back on a bike. I think I see a little of that in your OP.
Old 09-07-16, 01:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

True.... but rarely! In almost all documented cases PTSD is a veteran experience.
This is a serious thread. Please stop trolling. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.