Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not sure about a purchase...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-18-18, 07:32 AM
ShiftDispatcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a father of two, looking for a really comfortable bike for family/solo rides. Most likely we're talking 20 miles or less and mostly 3-5 mile rides realistically. I live in Western Massachusetts, but in the valley, not the hills (though there is a reasonable incline if I want to travel to the other side of the valley).

The sixthreezero EVRYjourney catches my eye (can't post link because I'm a newbie to the board)

My concern is that while it might be high in terms of comfort, it won't be a smart choice for the longer trips, which would likely lead me to the Raleigh Bikes Venture 3.0 Comfort Bike.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Old 01-18-18, 08:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
That 630 bike is a single speed beach cruiser. Its good for exactly what its named to do- ride slowly along boardwalks/flat land.

Are you looking to spend $350 because that is what you can spend, because its what the Raleigh happens to cost, or because its an arbitrary number you want to stick to?
If that is your budget because its what you can spend, then the Raleigh or any multi-gear hybrids that are from known brands will work.
If that is your budget because its what the Raleigh happens to cost or because you just think that’s what a bike should cost, it may help to increase the budget $100 or $150. That will open a lot more to you from bike shop brands such as Trek and Giant.

2 actual specific pieces of advice-
- Whatever you get, try to not buy a suspension fork or seatpost hybrid. There is 0 need for these things on bikes ridden on pavement by healthy adults as it just adds weight and the forks are cheap so they don’t work well(like well-made suspension forks). The Raeligh Detour 1 or Detour 2, for example.
- Get a properly fitting bike. Bikes are made in different sizes for a reason- comfort. An illfitting bike is one that wont be enjoyed- it’s a total waste.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-18-18, 08:26 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
The riding position looks similarly upright on both bikes that you list. It'd be fine for short rides with family at a low pace. For 20-mile trips though, I'd want a somewhat more forward-leaning position like in, for example, the Raleigh Redux.
Old 01-18-18, 08:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
For "family" rides of 3-5 miles almost any bike will do. The Evry Journey is a simple single-speed coast-brake cruiser with an additional front handbrake (nice). The Venture is a external geared multi-speed bike with a seat post shock absorber and front shock forks.

At the similar low price point of each bike I would go for the mechanically simpler EvryJourney...it should prove to be more reliable, and more trouble free.

As far as the "comfort" of each bike, for on-road comfort I prefer cushy tires over suspension forks and sprung seat posts. My wife has a bike like that and it leaves me feeling disconnected from the road in an odd way. I put large cruiser tires on my old un-suspended Mountain Bike commuter last summer and it was delightfully comfy while feeling connected to the road. I do have a firmly sprung seat on that bike, but it doesn't "pogo" like my wifes bike's seatpost spring, which also has a soft-sprung seat.

For distance riding, things get tricky, as what feels comfortable in the short run can become uncomfortable in the long run. Most people, but not all, would want a more forward-leaning road bike posture for distance, which places less weight on your butt, but more on your hands, but with drop-bars and other styles you get more and varied hand positions. Also many people find a soft, wide or sprung seat to be irritating on long rides. (Not me).

And of course a geared bike can usually cruise faster than a single-geared bike depending on gearing of-course.

All that being said, there is a guy like me in his late 50s on my commute route. A few years ago he stopped riding his touring bike and began bike commuting 15 miles each way on a single-speed, coaster brake 1960's Schwinn Typhoon which is very similar to the Evry Journey, minus the hand brake. NO matter which of my three bikes I ride he usually slightly outpaces me in the flatter portions, but with my gears I overtake him on the hills.

So I'd go for the Evry Journey. If it proves inadequate for longer rides look into more of a road-style bike, but ride the bike to make sure it's comfortable. And don't rule out a pre-owned bike from a local bike store (not criagslist). You can find tremendous value backed by a store that has gone through the bike and should stand behind it, or at least let you return it if its not right.
Old 01-18-18, 08:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Where in western Mass? I went to Deerfield.
Old 01-18-18, 08:41 AM
ShiftDispatcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Northampton -- actually, Florence more specifically.
Old 01-18-18, 08:58 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
The gears would help.

We recently bough my father (62) a Giant Cypress DX hybrid. Very comfortable and versatile. Similar offering and pricing to that Ralleigh Venture, just a bit sportier paint and trim.
Old 01-18-18, 09:15 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ShiftDispatcher
Heh. I have been back to Deerfield a few times recently for D2R2. Two years ago I did a self-contained tour from Brattleboro home to Philly. Camped the first night at the KOA in Westhampton. Skirted Florence to the west on River and Reservoir Rds. Nice area.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15778904
Old 01-18-18, 09:24 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
For family rides, my advice is get a derailleur bike (gears you can shift) with the lowest gearing you can reasonably get. I've found with a burley trailer, or just riding with my son, that low gears (such as 34t up front, 28t in back, for example) are often used to maintain sufficient gyroscopic motion that keeps me upright when my kids are moving really slowly. The lowest gear (24t up front, 34t in back) is useful when both kids and our gear (aka a 100# load, all in) are loaded in a trailer that needs to be pulled up hills to various parks. Also, due to the slow speeds and need to maintain balance in many situations kids introduce (such as suddenly shifting their weight and throwing you off balance), you may prefer wide flat bars (or flared "gravel" drop bars), depending on your own balancing skills.

Last edited by bcpriess; 01-18-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-18-18, 10:31 AM
ShiftDispatcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. That model of the 630 has 7 gears, which is what drew me to it. I guess my main concern would more be the seating position, which is a beach cruiser model.
Old 01-18-18, 10:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. That model of the 630 has 7 gears, which is what drew me to it. I guess my main concern would more be the seating position, which is a beach cruiser model.
Yeah, I saw a few different gearing setups on Amazon, just figured it was the single speed.

I personally wouldnt like a beach cruiser for 20mi rides, but everyone is different. If you enjoy the look and body position, then by all means its probably a great way to get started riding with your family.
That is whats most important in the end- getting out and doing the shorter family rides. So much to see, explore, experience, etc.
Old 01-18-18, 01:17 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

The gearing on the 630 looks high, like it might be a 44t or so up front, and 11-25t or so in back. This isn't bad if you'll always be in pretty flat places, but if you ever plan to be pulling a kid in a trailer up hills, it's high gearing.

Personally, I'd check your local CL and see if you can find a clean, cared for old (90s) rigid fork MTB - Trek 800/900 series, Specialized Hardrock, etc. You'll have a relaxed posture, and gearing that works in pretty much all noncompetitive situations including hills. Those can be had for $100 or less, and with a tuneup and some deferred maintenance, you can stay under $200 total.
Old 01-18-18, 02:28 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Set a realistic budget, say <$500 "all in" (bike, helmet, lock, etc)
Find three local shops that carry legit bike brands (Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, etc)
Visit all three, explaining what you're looking for. Be honest with yourself and the sales person.
Buy the bike you like the best from the shop you like the best.
Ride the wheels off of it with your family and friends.

-Kedosto
Old 01-18-18, 02:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Liked 4,486 Times in 3,336 Posts
Just be prepared for a lot to change over time. And, each person's situation is different.
How old are the kiddos?

A 3 mile ride might be fine for a 5 year old. And, your beach cruiser would suit riding with the 5 year old just fine.

On the other hand, if the kids get interested in bikes, then by age 15, they may well be ready for 50 mile or longer rides... and you'll be huffing to keep up on your beach cruiser.

But, also realizing that needs change and evolve, there is no reason not to get a bike right for the moment.
Old 01-18-18, 02:54 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by bcpriess
For family rides, my advice is get a derailleur bike (gears you can shift) with the lowest gearing you can reasonably get. I've found with a burley trailer, or just riding with my son, that low gears (such as 34t up front, 28t in back, for example) are often used to maintain sufficient gyroscopic motion that keeps me upright when my kids are moving really slowly. The lowest gear (24t up front, 34t in back) is useful when both kids and our gear (aka a 100# load, all in) are loaded in a trailer that needs to be pulled up hills to various parks. Also, due to the slow speeds and need to maintain balance in many situations kids introduce (such as suddenly shifting their weight and throwing you off balance), you may prefer wide flat bars (or flared "gravel" drop bars), depending on your own balancing skills.
This.

When my daughter first learned how to ride she was on 12 inch wheels. And she LOVED to go riding with daddy.

On my 29 inch wheels, I had to ride in very low gears on flat ground just to keep from pulling away from her. My legs were spinning like the Road Runner. But I was moving along without falling at like 4 mph.
Old 01-18-18, 03:25 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm a father of two, looking for a really comfortable bike for family/solo rides. Most likely we're talking 20 miles or less and mostly 3-5 mile rides realistically. I live in Western Massachusetts, but in the valley, not the hills (though there is a reasonable incline if I want to travel to the other side of the valley).

The sixthreezero EVRYjourney catches my eye (can't post link because I'm a newbie to the board)

My concern is that while it might be high in terms of comfort, it won't be a smart choice for the longer trips, which would likely lead me to the Raleigh Bikes Venture 3.0 Comfort Bike.

Hey, Im from Easthampton. For good use bikes , and sales staff, check out Hampshirebikeexchange, in Amhearst, on college drive. KB
Old 01-19-18, 06:10 AM
ShiftDispatcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all the great replies and solid advice across the board. I have time to marinate on it and for the time being, dream of spring.
Old 01-19-18, 07:58 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

The Venture bike is out for sure because of the fork.

I have no Idea what it would be like to ride 20 miles on the sixthreezero. It is basically an inexpensive version of the Electra Townie. I have ridden the Elctra Townie cruiser (in town short errands) and also the 7speed version. Comfortable, fun, yet the pedal forward thing is awkward. It's great for putting a foot down while remaining seated but, it seems inefficient. Hills are harder much harder. That could be me though as I am not used to pedaling like that. Regardless you should be able to find an Electra dealer near you to test ride one if the weather is nice. to give you an idea on the sixthreezero.

Staying in that price range I'd like to suggest the Trek Verve 1 $399. The verve was like many hybrids with a heavy cheap spring fork that was more cumbersome to a bike, than it was useful. Trek ditched the Fork and made a few other changes. What I found super nice on riding the Verve was the comfort, and more importantly it is a very stable bike at very slow speeds, waking speed type slow. yet on riding down the bike path, it rolled so well. IT would definitely be in the picture for a slow ride with kids, or for a leisure 20 mile ride.

Of course comfort can be very arbitrary. With that being said a simple swap of the handle bar on the Verve could make it go from slightly leaning forward to sitting up using a swept back handlebar , Jones bar, Trekking bar, not sure if they have an official 'label'. the derogatory term is sissy bar. lol Hey I've had one it was super comfy! I'd put it back on but I cut my hydraulic lines to short.

regardless here is a link to the Verve and a Link to a thread on the swept back handle bars.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=greydark

Upright geometry ?- Mtbr.com

Last edited by Metieval; 01-19-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-19-18, 10:52 AM
bcpriess

That verve is a good recommendation for the op.
Old 01-19-18, 11:41 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The D in D2R2!!! I completed the 180k (w/ 13,600' of total ascent) in 12h 15m in 2016. Toughest effort of my riding career, so far.
Old 01-19-18, 12:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Riveting
The D in D2R2!!! I completed the 180k (w/ 13,600' of total ascent) in 12h 15m in 2016. Toughest effort of my riding career, so far.
Yes. As noted later, I did it a couple of times. The first time I did the 100K. The second time I took the Green River Route out to lunch and then came back on the 100K route. From an physical perspective, the true 100K is my second hardest ride ever. Cannot imagine doing the 180K.
Old 01-19-18, 08:32 PM
ShiftDispatcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
With that being said a simple swap of the handle bar on the Verve could make it go from slightly leaning forward to sitting up using a swept back handlebar , Jones bar, Trekking bar, not sure if they have an official 'label'. the derogatory term is sissy bar. lol Hey I've had one it was super comfy!

I like the way you're thinking -- customize the Verve. I do get the feeling that the 630 would be fun short term but might get on my nerves long term.
Old 01-19-18, 09:08 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I like the way you're thinking -- customize the Verve. I do get the feeling that the 630 would be fun short term but might get on my nerves long term.
I have always liked the Verve 1 over the 2 & 3 for simplicity, basic and low price.
The Verve 2 does bring an adjustable stem to the table which could play a huge factor when swapping the bar out to a swept back bar and adjust ability.
Old 03-05-21, 10:44 AM
Racbradshaw
NOLA504Life

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Op...what did you get?

Enjoyed this thread. I’m trying to decide between a new Evry Journey and a used Townie or a rebuilt 1975 Schwinn Suburban. I hardly ever ride hills. Recreation rides and short errands. Thoughts?
Old 03-06-21, 06:40 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
My daughter lived in Northampton after UMASS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.