Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Missed Connection?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Missed Connection?

Old 08-25-20, 01:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Don't take the bait.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-25-20, 02:22 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't take the bait.
Waaaay too late for that advice....
Old 08-25-20, 02:28 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I remember when Phil used to post here. What was his screen name again? Hipcycler? This like a modern day version of the Anti-Knave?

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 08-25-20, 02:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Seems if you are spending this much time pondering the guy in wet white bibs, you may be overdue for a frank discussion with your wife.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-25-20, 02:44 PM
Rubyd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Also the only thing that's weird about this exchange are the references to flirting, dominance, missed connection, and grindr.
Old 08-25-20, 02:46 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
"The look" must be given before any "droping of teh hammer" and dialing up to "400 watts"
Old 08-25-20, 03:01 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
I was out last Thursday doing my usual weeknight loop, but this time I was going solo (normally my wife and I ride together, but she had to work late). I decided to see what kind of average speed I could hold while "unencumbered" by a riding partner who is typically slower than me. Along my route, there is a 7-8 mile stretch of uninterrupted pavement that is a dedicated bikeway (although it does see the occasional walker/jogger).

So, I turned from the roadway onto the bikeway and start to spin up. I hit 20 mph pretty easily, and before long I'm cruising at ~24 mph with moderate effort. After a few minutes, I come to the next bikeway entrance, and I see another cyclist in full kit (white 'The Velo' jersey), but he's clearly slowing down. I sit up and slow to around 18 mph as I pass, but I don't make a big deal of it. He is pulling off the trail when I go past.

Once I was clear of the bikeway entrance, I get back in the drops and start to spin up again. As I'm getting back to about 22 mph, the White Rider spins past me, probably doing 28 mph. I think he kind of looked back at me, but it was getting dark at this point. It didn't take long before he disappeared around a bend, so I shrugged it off and went back to my pre-planned workout. Then, maybe 5 minutes later, I see his tail light ahead of me and his white kit reflecting my headlight. I'm not sure what to do if I end up catching him, but that worry gets blown away by a literal monsoon that rolled in and turned my ride into a survival fight. I got sand blasted by the wind, pelted with sideways rain, and ended up running over some goathead thorns that would later cause a flat. I made it home just as the front wheel was getting spongy, but holy crap was that a thrilling storm!

My question for the board: was this Rider in White trying to goad me into some competitive riding? Was he flirting with me? Should I have asked for his Grindr handle? Or was this all just much ado about nothing in my head?
Maybe he was trying to beat the storm?
Old 08-25-20, 06:29 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
This is what I thought at first, but then I thought about the fact that I caught up to him (within about a 100m or so). If he were so fit that he could hold that 28 mph tempo as you said, it seems like I should have never seen him again. The fact that he hit that speed to pass me, but then slowed down by ~5 mph makes me think he "dialed it up to 400W" to get past me in some kind of attempt at showing dominance, or flirting. Idk, it was weird.
You yourself said he was spinning when he passed you. Whatever he did, it wasn’t because he couldn’t hold that pace. A lot of riders look back when they pass riders to make sure there is no overlap when they move over. Anybody who is comfortably riding at 28 mph is fit.
Old 08-25-20, 07:00 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 937 Posts
I solved the mystery of the white shorts cyclist:

His 28 mph was a slow recovery ride.
Old 08-25-20, 10:13 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I solved the mystery of the white shorts cyclist:

His 28 mph was a slow recovery ride.
Those photos are probably the last time he wore those shorts. I vaguely remember him refusing to race in white shorts.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 08-25-20, 11:38 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I was doing sprint hill repeats the other day, and a cyclist passed going uphill just before my turnaround at the bottom. I passed by her on the sprint, then she blew by me when I was cooling down on the top, just before my turnaround.

I expect to see her post about some old fart flirting with her and how she put the hammer down on the perv.

Rules 78 and 31 apply.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-26-20, 10:21 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
You yourself said he was spinning when he passed you.... Anybody who is comfortably riding at 28 mph is fit.
Why are you so fixated on the word "spinning?" I just meant he was riding his bike, I was trying to comment on his comfort level or anything. You do know that it's possible to "spin" while also being not comfortable, right? I can hold 28 mph in the saddle, especially on that stretch of bikeway. I just might not hold it for more than 5 minutes or so. And since I caught up to the White Rider while holding 24-25 mph myself, that means he must have not been as comfortable as you claim. Also, if this person were so "comfortable" at that pace, it makes their slow-down seem all the more intentional, perhaps letting me catch up so he could strike up a conversation...or more...
Old 08-26-20, 11:00 AM
colnago62

Why are you so fixated on the word "spinning?" I just meant he was riding his bike, I was trying to comment on his comfort level or anything. You do know that it's possible to "spin" while also being not comfortable, right? I can hold 28 mph in the saddle, especially on that stretch of bikeway. I just might not hold it for more than 5 minutes or so. And since I caught up to the White Rider while holding 24-25 mph myself, that means he must have not been as comfortable as you claim. Also, if this person were so "comfortable" at that pace, it makes their slow-down seem all the more intentional, perhaps letting me catch up so he could strike up a conversation...or more...
Spinning, in my mind, is someone who is comfortably turning over the pedals at 100rpm or more. I assumed flat terrain. I also know that it takes a fair amount of watts to be able to cruise at 28mph. You also made no mention of him straining while passing you. Look, you were there, I don’t know why you are even posted this question. We can only go off the information that you have given. I highly doubt this guy was trying to pick a fight with you. He sounds like a very fit guy doing his own thing. There is no shame in someone being more fit than you.
Old 08-26-20, 11:04 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I highly doubt this guy was trying to pick a fight with you.
I never said I thought he was trying to fight me...
Old 08-26-20, 11:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Just go post a real Missed Connection on CL; your repeated insinuations clearly show that some interest has latched on and isn't letting go, despite your phobic tone.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-26-20, 11:26 AM
colnago62

I never said I thought he was trying to fight me...
🙄 To answer your question, yes it is much to do about nothing.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 08-26-20, 11:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
White Rider sounds like a the title of a new superhero movie.
Old 08-26-20, 12:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
This thread delivered what I expected after reading that first post.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-26-20, 12:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Question though, did you dial it up to 400w?

1a. Always do YOUR thing when on a solo ride. Don't let others dictate your mood or enjoyment.
1b. Never make assumptions about the other person, they could be fresh out of the neighborhood or on mile 99 of 100.

2. Speed is relative to the environment.

3. Reads like a poorly executed humble brag to me.
Likes For burnthesheep: