Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Fat bike recommendations

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Fat bike recommendations

Old 12-02-20, 11:29 AM
911Cycling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fat bike recommendations

Looking for size recommendations for a fat bike to ride on the beach. Beach sand varies from hard packed to moderately soft. Any idea how wide I would need to go and not sink?
Old 12-02-20, 01:54 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
4" wide tires aired down to the point that they feel unridable on pavement for soft sand. Even then, uphills can be difficult to impossible. Hard packed sand can be ridden on 2.5" tires if you keep your speed up, but that can be tough to do.
Old 12-02-20, 01:55 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
You must know that salt water will cause the bike to corrode and be destroyed fast.

On wet sand, you should be able to ride on 2 inch (50 mm) tires. But I would go for 4 inch (100 mm) wide tires.

You wont be able to ride on dry sand with 4 inch (100 mm) wide tires.

To ride on dry sand, you probably need 12 inch (300 mm) wide tires. I don't know of any bicycles with 12 inch wide tires. Someone could make their own.

You could just stick to the wet sand.
Old 12-02-20, 02:06 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
You can ride on dry sand with these. Someone could make a bicycle using similar tires.

Old 01-09-21, 09:36 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I rode a bike with 4 inch wide tires on the beach for a few years. I felt like I could have done just as well on a 2.5" wide tire on a normal rim.
-4" inch wide tires made it feel like I was dragging a boat anchor on the street.