Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

recommendations for saddle bag for non round seat post

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

recommendations for saddle bag for non round seat post

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-20, 12:36 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I would try to lighten the load in that bag. I have a pump similar to that and it stays on my bike, not in the bag. I have a Lezyne bracket bolted to one bike behind the water bottle cage and the other bike has a TwoFish Bike Block pump holder on it. I'd also try to find a way to avoid carrying that Koolstop bead tool if you can. I know some tires are tight, but damn!
On some bikes I install everything by hand, no tools needed. One time out in the middle of no where of course I replaced two tubes on the same wheel. Both times it leaked. Either I was just very unlucky and had two bad tubes or more likely I ruined both tubes while trying to install them :/ We had to call lyft that day. ha-ha

I have that same pump for both of my bikes (topstone gravel & systemsix road). On the gravel bike I attach it to the bottle cage with the bracket that it came with. I know this is going to sound silly since I am slow rider ( 20 mph flat ) since I bought a aero bike I did not want to attache the pump to the bike. ha-ha I guess to me it's like seeing a sleek low Ferrari 458 with a luggage rack and two suite cases on top.

With the new bag I ordered I don't think I am going to have a choice. It looks much smaller. I will have to put the pump on the bike. I might have to carry Koolstop bead tool in my jersey or just not worry about other peoples flats. On my two bikes I don't need the tool.
Old 12-17-20, 12:56 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
put the pump in a jersey pocket.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-17-20, 01:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Likely if you got three flats with the same tire, you left some sharp object in the tire tread and it cut the second and third tube.
Old 12-17-20, 01:31 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
+1 for Arundel, but I'm going a bit more minimalist with the Pico. I have the same stuff in mine as Primov, but just 1 of the CO2s and I don't carry a chain tool. Also have a pair of nitrile gloves shoved in there.

+1. My Pico bag should be arriving by the weekend. I got it for the Lynskey since I put the Uno on my daughter’s road bike.
Btw, this is the tire lever/chain tool that I carry. I should’ve been more specific as it’s a chain tool for quick links such as the ones used by KMC.

Old 12-17-20, 01:35 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Likely if you got three flats with the same tire, you left some sharp object in the tire tread and it cut the second and third tube.
My friends bike I could not get the tires on at all without using tire levers and even then just barely. I am 99.9% sure I just pinched the tube(s) while getting the tire on.

Once home I used the Koolstop bead tool and replaced her tube in 15 minutes no problem. After that I started carrying that huge tool.
Old 03-02-21, 07:01 AM
skenry

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Rule 29
Old 03-02-21, 07:37 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts

Specialized Seat Pack in size M. I dislike a big saddlebag, myself. Big enough for a minimalistic micro pump, rather comprehensive toolkit and a tube.

I tied a black triathlon rubber lace around it and the seat rails to keep it more firmly attached over any rough sections and a light is clipped to it.

Last edited by Branko D; 03-02-21 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 10:25 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D

Specialized Seat Pack in size M. I dislike a big saddlebag, myself. Big enough for a minimalistic micro pump, rather comprehensive toolkit and a tube.

I tied a black triathlon rubber lace around it and the seat rails to keep it more firmly attached over any rough sections and a light is clipped to it.

I'm glad it's working for you, but that gets decidedly poor reviews on the Specialized site.

For the OP, I also like to put a small pump in the saddle bag (as well as a tubular tire), & this has been working well. Sold on Amazon as a pencil case, & now mask case,
the neoprene is waterproof, non-slippery, non-rattly and cheap. Held in place with a toe strap or equal.

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-02-21, 10:33 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I use this:

https://www.speedsleev.com/product/speedsleev-ranger/

It is rock solid on gravel and is pretty minimalist
Likes For Elvo:
Old 03-02-21, 10:46 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I'm glad it's working for you, but that gets decidedly poor reviews on the Specialized site.

For the OP, I also like to put a small pump in the saddle bag (as well as a tubular tire), & this has been working well. Sold on Amazon as a pencil case, & now mask case,
the neoprene is waterproof, non-slippery, non-rattly and cheap. Held in place with a toe strap or equal.

Wow! That’s a lot of jimmy-rigged junk going on. The old school, office suppliy rubber band holding the whittled-down piece of cork is so much bodge that, if I had one, I’d give you a medal for going to extreme lengths to avoid buying something that simply works.

Regarding the Specialized seat bagBranko D posted, I can vouch that they’re actually pretty good and without any critical flaws. I use a L size to haul my emergency kit for my 650b x 48 equipped bike, which includes a big, bulky, heavy tube, and the bag is secure and easy to use. I’ve only had it since November, but it has handled gravel rides just fine. I don’t know what kind of user complaints you’re referring to, but it seems perfectly capable to me.

Were I to replace it, I’d get another Silca Mattone, which might be a great option for the OP as well. The issue is that the Spec bag works just fine, while the smaller Mattone would necessitate a more lightweight, space saving tube like Tubolito or Aerothan, both of which add considerable cost to the replacement cost. Mattone is secure easy, and stylish, though:

Old 03-02-21, 11:59 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Wow! That’s a lot of jimmy-rigged junk going on. The old school, office suppliy rubber band holding the whittled-down piece of cork is so much bodge that, if I had one, I’d give you a medal for going to extreme lengths to avoid buying something that simply works.

Regarding the Specialized seat bagBranko D posted, I can vouch that they’re actually pretty good and without any critical flaws. I use a L size to haul my emergency kit for my 650b x 48 equipped bike, which includes a big, bulky, heavy tube, and the bag is secure and easy to use. I’ve only had it since November, but it has handled gravel rides just fine. I don’t know what kind of user complaints you’re referring to, but it seems perfectly capable to me.

Were I to replace it, I’d get another Silca Mattone, which might be a great option for the OP as well. The issue is that the Spec bag works just fine, while the smaller Mattone would necessitate a more lightweight, space saving tube like Tubolito or Aerothan, both of which add considerable cost to the replacement cost. Mattone is secure easy, and stylish, though:

That's "MISTER jimmy-rigged junk" to you

I cut the mount off & saved 20g with that rig- almost as much weight savings as your expensive tube! You should see the drillium tire lever...

I don't have a stake in the Specialized seat bag, but I thought it was funny that the reviews on their own site were so bad.
Old 03-03-21, 08:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by woodcraft
That's "MISTER jimmy-rigged junk" to you

I cut the mount off & saved 20g with that rig- almost as much weight savings as your expensive tube! You should see the drillium tire lever...

I don't have a stake in the Specialized seat bag, but I thought it was funny that the reviews on their own site were so bad.
Without getting too far afield here, it should be noted that an expensive tube like Aerothan or Tubolito saves not only closer to 3x the amount of weight as your cork and rubberband rig right off the top (or more; depends on tube size), but it also sets up the possibility to save weight using a smaller bag, as those tubes are not only lighter in weight, but more compact.

Do keep an eye on that rubber band, because as you know, they neither weather nor age well, and it would be a shame to lose the taillight.
Old 03-04-21, 09:06 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I don't like any saddle bag that uses a strap on the seatpost, it's unnecessary and always rips into your shorts. I have two recommendations:
1. The Silca Mattone above works great on road bikes.
2. The Outvi Possm, which is more for gravel bikes. This thing is designed for mountain biking so it's extremely stable and secure.

Not relevant for this thread but still interesting: Giant saddles have an integrated cleat for mounting lights and saddle bags. They sell small but powerful tailights and hard shell saddle bags that snap into the cleat very securely. The result is a clean, stable and foolproof setup. More saddle makers should adopt a similar design.
Old 03-04-21, 09:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't like any saddle bag that uses a strap on the seatpost, it's unnecessary and always rips into your shorts. I have two recommendations:
1. The Silca Mattone above works great on road bikes.
2. The Outvi Possm, which is more for gravel bikes. This thing is designed for mountain biking so it's extremely stable and secure.

Not relevant for this thread but still interesting: Giant saddles have an integrated cleat for mounting lights and saddle bags. They sell small but powerful tailights and hard shell saddle bags that snap into the cleat very securely. The result is a clean, stable and foolproof setup. More saddle makers should adopt a similar design.
I’d not seen that Giant integrated taillight; neat. I wouldn’t switch to a Giant saddle to get it, but if it came with the bike, I’d be happy about that.

It isn’t clear to me if the Giant system is either bag, light, or both together with the clip system.

I think it was Fizik who pioneered the clip mount with their ICS system. Dunno if they offer it anymore, though.

I didn’t know Outvi, either, and while they solved one of the common plagues with tool rolls by allowing it to be unrolled while still attached, I hate that it’s open to the elements— which seem dumb all ‘round, and the basic roll flaw of being unable to tuck something inside quickly, remains. I had a Speedsleev with the same open design, and your sh*t just gets wet, dirty and effed-up. Poor design, IMO.
Old 03-04-21, 03:13 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

I didn’t know Outvi, either, and while they solved one of the common plagues with tool rolls by allowing it to be unrolled while still attached, I hate that it’s open to the elements— which seem dumb all ‘round, and the basic roll flaw of being unable to tuck something inside quickly, remains. I had a Speedsleev with the same open design, and your sh*t just gets wet, dirty and effed-up. Poor design, IMO.
I have the Outvi on my gravel bike. It works well for me as I use saddlebags just for spares and tools. I have complete spare/cartridge/tools setups for all of the bikes I own that I don't move around. I'm lazy and just want to grab a bike a go. Anything else goes in my pockets. The Outvi's main attraction for me it that it's very stable and completely silent as it's wrapped so tightly. You could go down a bike park jumpline with the Outvi full of stuff and it wouldn't move or rattle. I ride a lot of fairly rough gravel and I hate rattles. It's also well out of the way of your legs and low profile.

I hear you on the dirt getting in there, it gets a bit gritty. On the upside, it drains water well so I just hit it with a hose after riding.

To explain the Giant Uniclip system: it's based around a reinforced plastic cleat that mounts on the back of the saddle with one fastener. The cleat comes with the saddle (I bought a complete Giant and it came with the bike) and it's optional to mount the cleat. The cleat has space for a taillight to snap in on the back of it and space for a variety of bags and Ass-saver-type fenders on the bottom. Giant makes several different (nicely made and inexpensive) bags that have fittings that snap into the cleat with a locking lever. Any bag you mount is far back on the saddle and well out of the way. They're hard sided "capsule-style" bags that don't sway. It's a really nice design.

Last edited by Hiro11; 03-04-21 at 03:26 PM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 03-04-21, 03:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
A trip to Jo-Ann's Fabrics for Velcro and 5 minutes with needle and thread. Done.
Old 03-04-21, 05:01 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Hiro11 I do the same: each bike has its own bag and kit. It’s way easier than having one bag and shuffling **** around, making sure to have the right tube and tools for the given bike.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-07-21 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Stop bypassing the forum censor by adding symbols to words.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-04-21, 06:20 PM
Hiro11

Hiro11 I do the same: each bike has its own bag and kit. It’s way easier than having one bag and shuffling **** around, making sure to have the right tube and tools for the given bike.
I see buying a new multi tool, a new inflator, new tire levers etc as just part of the cost of buying a new bike.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-07-21 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 07:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
If topeak came with a dual quick clip & an option for selecting an extended seat rail mount, I'd be set. The "Large" seat bag they offer uses only one set length mount, which you'd think be a none issue if you buy the longer mount they have for another item.... nope, it doesn't slope down enough.