Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Salt Air Corrosion Prevention

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 02:41 PM
90ragtop

Bikes: Trek 7100; Schwinn Pathway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I winter in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. I just arrived here after a year away from my place in Florida because of the COVID-19 pandemic, so I haven't been here to wash my bike regularly to protect it from the salt.

All of my cables had rusted from the inside and are being replaced, and there was significant surface corrosion on the welds, handlebars, and chain. I was able at length to remove most (but not all) of that surface corrosion.

I am well aware that long-term corrosion prevention in salt air is difficult.That said, what tips for care or products can anyone offer for corrosion prevention in salt air very near the sea?
Old 01-25-21, 02:43 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
this does wonders but salt air is tough https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3C7LO58P&psc=1
Old 01-31-21, 08:23 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I lived on the Gulf for almost four years. I could not keep my cables in operational condition on my fat bike, though I used a lot of WD40.
Had I continued to live on the Gulf, I would have converted to a single speed coaster to avoid the cable issues.
Disc brakes were especially affected by the salt air.
-The alternative is to just keep the bikes inside the living area.
Old 02-01-21, 06:07 PM
90ragtop

Bikes: Trek 7100; Schwinn Pathway

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I have purchased a product called BoeShield T-9 that was recommended to me to use while I am down here. But I think that I've now been persuaded to take the bike with me when I leave, as I have no secure indoor space where I can leave it when I am gone for six or seven months at a pop.
Old 02-08-21, 02:43 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by 90ragtop
Thanks to all for the replies. I have purchased a product called BoeShield T-9 that was recommended to me to use while I am down here. But I think that I've now been persuaded to take the bike with me when I leave, as I have no secure indoor space where I can leave it when I am gone for six or seven months at a pop.
Boeshield works well. I use it on a motorcycle I ride during the winter to protect it from the salt.
Likes For phughes: