Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek DS2 or Verve and hand numbness

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 03:29 PM
ozzyski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Hello everyone,
I am in need of some advice. I have a 2018 trek ds 2. Bike rides great fcor the first few miles and then my hands go numb. I upgraded the oem grips to ergon gp5's to help wih my hands but the difference was small. Tried riding with gloves and there was no difference, I ride on public roadways, commuting to work, taking my kids for a ride, and just going out for a 30 mile stretch. Now ultimately what im getting at, is what can i do to alleviate my hands going numb? I was thinking about trading the bike for a verve. I assume the more upright position would help out? Or the issue can be remedied by a simple stem upgrade? I also have a 2018 scott addict 30 road bike enduro frame. On the scott its even worse. The gentleman at the LBS told me just to change my riding position, not exactly sure how to. Im 6'1 and weigh 220 pounds. If theres any more information I need to provide please do let me know.
Old 01-15-20, 03:35 PM
eastsideride

Bikes: Checkpoint; Stache; Remedy; Slash; Emonda

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzyski
Hello everyone,
I am in need of some advice. I have a 2018 trek ds 2. Bike rides great fcor the first few miles and then my hands go numb. I upgraded the oem grips to ergon gp5's to help wih my hands but the difference was small. Tried riding with gloves and there was no difference, I ride on public roadways, commuting to work, taking my kids for a ride, and just going out for a 30 mile stretch. Now ultimately what im getting at, is what can i do to alleviate my hands going numb? I was thinking about trading the bike for a verve. I assume the more upright position would help out? Or the issue can be remedied by a simple stem upgrade? I also have a 2018 scott addict 30 road bike enduro frame. On the scott its even worse. The gentleman at the LBS told me just to change my riding position, not exactly sure how to. Im 6'1 and weigh 220 pounds. If theres any more information I need to provide please do let me know.
If you are overweighted on the front of the bike, that could be what is causing your hands to go numb. You want to have most of your weight on the saddle and your hands should just be resting on the bars only assisting in keeping your torso up. This could be a fit issue where your saddle height is too high or you are too far forward with your saddle. An upright bike like the Verve would certainly alleviate this since 90% of your weight is on the saddle if you have the handlebars up high with the adjustable stem.
Old 01-15-20, 05:48 PM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I’m also open to other options outside the verve, ideally I would like internal cable routing.
Old 01-15-20, 09:04 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 244 Posts
I went through something similar with my Quick 1 with flat bars. I initially experienced the tingling/numb hands after 5-7 miles. I ended up making two adjustments that reduced the problem considerably:
- Adjusted the handgrips so more weight was placed on the bottoms of my palms
- Played with seat placement and tipped the front of the seat up so more weight rested on my sit bones.
Old 01-15-20, 09:25 PM
uriwvu

Bikes: Old: 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 1974 Raleigh 3 Speed, 1978 Kabuki 10 speed, 1997 GT Ricochet. New: 2021Verve 3 Disc2021 Trek FX1

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Hello everyone,
i had similar experiences with hand numbness (left hand only) after a certain period of time on nearly every ride on my 2019 Marin San Rafael DS 2. As such, I decided to sell my Marin, and I picked up a Trek Verve 3 last week. I’ve been riding my Verve every day (10-13 miles/day) and I haven’t experienced any numbness in my hands, nor any additional pressure on my wrists. So for me, the more upright position of the Verve has eliminated this issue in addition to giving me a more comfortable ride.

Last edited by uriwvu; 01-16-20 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-16-20, 05:39 AM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
I went through something similar with my Quick 1 with flat bars. I initially experienced the tingling/numb hands after 5-7 miles. I ended up making two adjustments that reduced the problem considerably:
- Adjusted the handgrips so more weight was placed on the bottoms of my palms
- Played with seat placement and tipped the front of the seat up so more weight rested on my sit bones.
tried that as well, helped a little but still getting numbness
Likes For ozzyski:
Old 01-16-20, 12:08 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I'm curious when riding the DS2, if your wrists are bent when using the Ergon grips?

If they are bent and your arm is not straight with your hands, then you don't have the grips position correctly.

Please see the following page on the correct positioning of the grips:

https://ergonbike.com/en/article-gp1.html

The winged out portion of the grip needs to be adjusted enough that it supports your hand so there is no bend at the wrist.

Hope this helps
Old 01-16-20, 12:16 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Pull the seat all the way back all the way back as far as it will go that will take the weight off of your hands and you will be fine

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 01-22-20, 07:04 AM
ozzyski

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Saddle is already to the back, as for the grips i did slightly adjust them as travbikeman suggested but after yesterdays ride, 5 miles in and started getting numbness
Old 01-22-20, 02:48 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Saddle is already to the back, as for the grips i did slightly adjust them as travbikeman suggested but after yesterdays ride, 5 miles in and started getting numbness
Before buying any other bike, I would suggest taking your bike to the LBS that you bought it. Show them how you sit on it and see what they suggest. They may suggest new handle bars, stems or other ideas to help with this issue. They may even say it's just not the right bike fit.

It's hard to go through all this online, since most of us are just giving advice, but can be difficult to see the actual problem.
Old 01-28-20, 12:55 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
being a trek, you might be swap out your current handlebar and grips for the isozone handlebar & grip system without much hassle. wasn't a feature that even crossed my mind when buying an fx, but after riding it for a while i cannot believe how comfortable it is. seems super gimmicky, but in my opinion it's a gimmick that works.

$70 for the bar and grips on trek's website: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

my hands used to go numb on long rides. that problem went away on its own. way before the fx. no idea what changed or if i changed anything, but it's not a problem anymore. i still ride the same bike as when it was a problem, the jamis ventura race. so whatever changed wasn't equipment related. back when it was a problem, gloves certainly didn't help me either.

hope you get it figured out. no idea if it'd help, but i can attest that the isozone system is a pleasure.

Last edited by denada; 01-28-20 at 01:20 AM.