Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What's the ideal bike pump if you could have a custom frame mount or peg?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 10:16 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

A framebuilder (Erik Billings at CB Cycles in Oakland, if you're interested) is going to make some modifications to a nice lugged steel frame for me. Since the frame will need repainting afterwards, I wondered if there is any type of pump attachment that I should get added onto the frame. The bike will be a road-sport use, some fast rides (but no racing), light touring, some lower-key gravel roads.

I'm pretty happy with my Lezyne mini-pump, whose bracket attaches to the bike behind the water bottle cage. But since the framebuilder could braze any sort of mount or peg to the frame, the convenience of buy-a-minipump-and-attach-behind-bottle-cage doesn't really matter here.
I've used a traditional frame pump mounted under the top tube, and the Lezyne minipump is better than my Zefal hpx. Plus I'm super-tall, and don't need a frame pump that covers the whole length of the top tube.

What's the best possible scenario for attaching a lightweight pump to a bicycle?
Old 09-03-19, 10:50 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by TallRider
What's the best possible scenario for attaching a lightweight pump to a bicycle?
After four decades of cycling I just very recently got brave enough to go with a CO2 inflater, and find myself leaving the pump at home. This thanks to the urging of other CO2-using forumites. Maybe he could fashion a frame-mounted CO2 cartridge holder for you.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 09-03-19 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-03-19, 11:24 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
"To thine own self be true."
Old 09-04-19, 07:00 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
[QUOTE=_ForceD_;21106902]After four decades of cycling I just very recently got brave enough to go with a CO2 inflater, and find myself leaving the pump at home. This thanks to the urging of other CO2-using forumites. Maybe he could fashion a frame-mounted CO2 cartridge holder for you.

Dan[/QUOTE

Maybe they could fashion something like this for you: https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...ridge-carrier/
although I dislike CO2 cartridges, they generate waste and when you run out you are stuck, unlike a pump which has an unlimited supply. Plus you get some exercise using them.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 09-04-19, 07:25 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I'm also a fan of CO2 cartridges. A small thread-on valve adapter (mine is a Planet Bike) and two or three 16 gm threaded cartridges should get you by almost any on-road flat tire situation. I also carry a minipump to do the initial inflation and to be sure the tube is seated properly and holds air before committing a CO2 cartridge. Together this combination weighs less than a Zefal HPX and is far more convenient.

BTW, threaded CO2 cartridges are insanely expensive from a bike shop but bought in boxes of 15 or 20 from Amazon they are quite reasonable.

One caution about the Lezyne minipump; if you have removable Presta valve stems, its thread-on pump head will also remove the valve stem when you unscrew it. This can be very frustrating. Try it on your tubes first.
Old 09-04-19, 09:24 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Topeak Road Morph is my favorite: it has a short retractable tube from pump to tube valve and
has a flip out top handly that improves leverage and best of all a flip out step on at the base so
you can get from 70 to 95# without blowing out the biceps of you and one other. i.e. the pump
works well vertically so you use your body weight instead of upper arms.

OTOH it does not require a frame peg, only a fairly straight section of tubing to mount.

I have a Lezyne on one bike: it needs 160 pumps to get to the 80-90# range. The first 80 of
which are easy and at 1 pump/sec go fast (though passerbys may wonder what you are doing
hunched over there) but the last 40 are more like 3-5sec/pump plus rest time and use most of
my upper body strength.

Last edited by sch; 09-04-19 at 09:31 AM.
Likes For sch:
Old 09-04-19, 10:53 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
The zefal HPX would be a good option for a frame fit pump, my recently due to bikes without pump pegs, I just use my lezyne mini pump attached at the water bottle. takes a lot of pumps, but overall I lke it better than my trusty zefal

as for you C02 guys, not for me, have have had enough double flats or replacement tube does not hold air to depend on a finite source of inflatabiliyt.....I just use the pump but back in the day builders would put a water bottle insert on the bottom of the downtube for CO2 nflaters

Old 09-06-19, 06:14 AM
lobstermike

Bikes: rock lobster 853, dawes kickback1993

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tried a few pumps in the past. Still think the full size Zefals that sat snugged between the frame tubes were best.
Likes For lobstermike:
Old 09-06-19, 08:19 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I'll put in a vote for a frame fit Silca Impero with Campagnolo head. Painted to match, of course !

But don't actually USE it. for any serious inflation, the CO2 cartridge is best

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 09-06-19, 09:26 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Topeak Road Morph is my favorite: it has a short retractable tube from pump to tube valve and
has a flip out top handly that improves leverage and best of all a flip out step on at the base so
you can get from 70 to 95# without blowing out the biceps of you and one other. i.e. the pump
works well vertically so you use your body weight instead of upper arms.
I used to be a "you can pry my Silca Impero from my cold, dead fingers" guy until I found the Topeak Morph pumps. Now I have one on most of the bikes I own. It's very easy to get to 100+psi. I only wish the gauge were easier to read, but that's more due to my crappy vision than the gauge itself.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 09-06-19, 09:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Ryobi One+
Old 09-08-19, 10:05 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Silca of course painted to match. But you do not really use them, they are too valuable and difficult to find these days, though they do work. They are just for looks now, in the seat bag is a CO2 inflator and two cartridges and a spare tube.

The Silca can also be stuck into the front wheel of an annoying cyclist or swung wildly at potential assailants, probably useful for some other things too but mostly they just look right on the bicycle.

Here is an invention for somebody to patent maybe, now that frame pumps are obsolete, a Bike Billy. It would have a spring loaded extend and weighted end to whack whatever with and a rechargeable battery powered Taser head. The Taser head would have the two prongs capture the frame just as the Silca pump end does and the extendable, spring loaded end would capture the frame pip.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 09-08-19 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 11:06 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Peter Weigle is partial to the "OH-HEC" brand for his builds.

I like the idea of mounting the frame to a seat stay and freeing up the space around the seat tube, but I haven't pulled the trigger on getting any custom frame brazing yet.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-08-19, 07:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4202 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts

My best advice before buying any pump is to try it first. How a pump works for your abilities, wheels, pressure levels is of primary importance.

Those of us with strong hands or learned how to work a full length pump will say a Silca Imperio or Zefal HPX are among the best. Riders with strength or technique issues might like the "Mini floor" pumps that mount to the frame, the Topeak Morphs being the best known. So try the pump, and to full pressure, before buying it.

Having said all that the right answer is the Zefal HPX. Andy
Old 09-09-19, 08:28 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My best advice before buying any pump is to try it first. How a pump works for your abilities, wheels, pressure levels is of primary importance.

Those of us with strong hands or learned how to work a full length pump will say a Silca Imperio or Zefal HPX are among the best. Riders with strength or technique issues might like the "Mini floor" pumps that mount to the frame, the Topeak Morphs being the best known. So try the pump, and to full pressure, before buying it.

Having said all that the right answer is the Zefal HPX. Andy
I found the HPX quite a bit easier to reach full pressure with than any mini pump, including the Road Morph. However, CO2 is easier to reach full pressure with than any of them.

BTW, your middle photo showing the HPX mounted under the top tube reminds me why I stopped doing that. Every time I'd pick up the bike to carry it anywhere, I'd dislodge the pump.
Old 09-09-19, 08:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by HillRider
I found the HPX quite a bit easier to reach full pressure with than any mini pump, including the Road Morph. However, CO2 is easier to reach full pressure with than any of them.

BTW, your middle photo showing the HPX mounted under the top tube reminds me why I stopped doing that. Every time I'd pick up the bike to carry it anywhere, I'd dislodge the pump.

Dave= I agree about under TT pump locations. But sometimes in life we make choices that come with some cost. This middle photo is of my touring bike, so consider the "cost" of trying to lift a bike/gear weighing 115+ lbs... But the benefits of the extra bottle cage was nearly priceless when I was crossing ID and MT in the heat. Andy ( who also had about a gallon in MSR bags in the pannier bottoms).
Old 09-10-19, 11:32 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
+1 on the Zefal HPX. Great for high pressure tires.
Old 09-10-19, 11:42 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Hello. SIlca frame pump with a campy head. My 1970 version still pumps up my tires to a little over 100 psi.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 09-10-19, 02:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Hello. SIlca frame pump with a campy head. My 1970 version still pumps up my tires to a little over 100 psi.
Fine if you have good frame pumping skills and strong hands/arms. Many guys I have met have one of these but fail at the other. Many women I know have less of each. But, yes, the Campy head is the only way to run a Silca. Andy
Old 09-10-19, 02:56 PM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Fine if you have good frame pumping skills and strong hands/arms. Many guys I have met have one of these but fail at the other. Many women I know have less of each. But, yes, the Campy head is the only way to run a Silca. Andy
Conti sew-ups, Silca pump and a very small swiss army knife and when I flatted, which was often, I took off the rear wheel, cut the sew-up, pealed it off the rim. Then, I put on the spare Conti, which was stretched and had lots of glue on it, and pumped it up to thumb feel "high pressure".

I could change a flat much faster with sew ups than I ever can with clinchers and CO2.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-02-20, 01:52 PM
delacrue96

Bikes: 2003 Women's Trek 7200 Multirack 15 inch Dusk Blue

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
+1 for the Topeak morph. Fits great on my women's bike on frame bottom.
Old 05-02-20, 02:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I used a Zefal HPX for years, painted to match. I then went with a Topeak Road Morph, which works quite well. I recently wanted to go back to a frame fitted pump and found a Topeak Road Masterblaster, which is currently in transit. It doesn't have a pressure gauge, but if it works as well, or better since is has more volume, as the Road Morph, I'll be happy.

John
Old 05-03-20, 11:13 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I used to be a "you can pry my Silca Impero from my cold, dead fingers" guy until I found the Topeak Morph pumps. Now I have one on most of the bikes I own. It's very easy to get to 100+psi. I only wish the gauge were easier to read, but that's more due to my crappy vision than the gauge itself.
You can take the gauge apart and put a mark on the desired pressure with a felt pen. Makes it easy for an old fart to see.
Old 05-03-20, 12:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Another fan of Zephal HPX pumps. They work. They get to full road pressure easily. 120 psi - no big deal. They are the pump that gets used to bail out others when they have pump or CO2 issues. (The "Classic" is an HPX with the older HP silver and stying if you do not care for black.)

Edit: I forgot - a peg on the headtube so you can carry two water bottles.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-03-20 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 01:08 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
This! I have two with the plastic head and it is still going strong after 40+ years. I only use it on the road, otherwise I use a Silca Floor pump of the same vintage. My most recent bike uses a Zefal HPX. People often laugh about a full frame pump. I will let someone use the Zefal, but not the Silcas, although I will offer to pump their tire with the Silca.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.