Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Faraday bike sale - just in case you're interested.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-19, 08:20 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

ACCESSORIESELECTRIC BIKESBLOG

Copyright © 2019 Faraday Bikes, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you asked for more information about Faraday electric bikes either on our website faradaybikes.com or at an event where Faraday was involved.

Our mailing address is:

Faraday Bikes360 Langton StreetSan Francisco, CA 94103
Add us to your address book

update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.
Old 11-22-19, 09:58 PM
linberl

Apparently Faraday messed up the codes so they resent correct codes. If anyone is interested, use FRIENDSFAMILY2019 or FRIENDSFAMILY2019-S
Old 11-22-19, 11:26 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Not bad for commuting. I tested one for about a month, and it was lightweight and very functional. Even rode it in the dirt and performed well (within the limits of its front drive and narrow tires). Pretty attractive at this price.
Old 11-23-19, 10:28 AM
linberl

I've not ridden one (but don't see why it wouldn't ride well given the weight distribution) but they sure are gorgeous! Glad I don't need/want another bike, I would be tempted.
Old 11-23-19, 12:55 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I heard they were out of business in the US. Getting rid of inventory. Repair parts?
Old 11-24-19, 11:51 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Looks like they just reduced their price from insane to meh.
Old 11-24-19, 10:53 PM
2old

I wouldn't be surprised if their business model wasn't sustainable at the prices listed. However, the "S" models for $1395 aren't a bad deal considering the quality of the build, but just my opinion. The batteries, which are in the downtube AIR could be a problem to replace.
Old 11-25-19, 12:43 AM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
A going out of business sale! Already difficult to find repair and replacement parts... buyer beware.
Old 11-25-19, 10:16 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I will say that they did a really good job of making not look like it's electric.
Old 11-25-19, 11:04 AM
2old

Also, many of the parts are replaceable. The bikes are lighter than almost any other "OEM" models that I've ridden which, to me as a former weight weenie, reflects quality of design and materials (btw - I am not affiliated with them in any way, just had a blast for a month testing one of their bikes). In all fairness to Trek, their $1499 Electra rear hub cruiser seems excellent too although I haven't ridden one. Plus, FME, Trek's warranty is incomparable.
Old 12-02-19, 02:50 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I've been following the trajectory of this bike since it won an Oregon commuter bicycles competition, and invested in the Kickstarter. Beautiful bikes, but they started behind the market as a stealth no-throttle ebike, then fell further and further behind as that market clearly stated nobody cared about stealth.

The Porteur S is finally at a price I can live with and I happen to like the low-power stealth vibe and good looks, but that proprietary battery is going to be a BIG problem to replace.
Old 12-02-19, 10:30 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I've been following the trajectory of this bike since it won an Oregon commuter bicycles competition, and invested in the Kickstarter. Beautiful bikes, but they started behind the market as a stealth no-throttle ebike, then fell further and further behind as that market clearly stated nobody cared about stealth.

The Porteur S is finally at a price I can live with and I happen to like the low-power stealth vibe and good looks, but that proprietary battery is going to be a BIG problem to replace.
I think they are lovely and perfect for someone who doesn't want something more moped-ish, rather just wants a gentle assist while riding. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm wondering if one couldn't open that battery case and just replace the cells when needed. Actually, I think this is a huge opportunity for someone out there - to offer battery cell replacements for all e-bikes. So many have proprietary connections, not much is standard, and instead of having the entire bike end up in landfill they could keep them on the road. A service like "iFixit" but for e-bikes, where you can buy either a battery replacement kit with instructions and tools or send it in if you're chicken-hearted would be fantastic. C'mon, someone has to know someone who can do this as a startup!
Old 12-02-19, 02:36 PM
2old

AIR, there is a plate in the region of the bottom bracket that allows battery removal. Big problem with any repair service (except local) in today's environment is shipping Lithium batteries since I think some kind of licensing is needed. Personally, I wouldn't ship a defective (or even good) Lithium battery even if it's legal.
Old 12-02-19, 02:40 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2old
AIR, there is a plate in the region of the bottom bracket that allows battery removal. Big problem with any repair service (except local) in today's environment is shipping Lithium batteries since I think some kind of licensing is needed. Personally, I wouldn't ship a defective (or even good) Lithium battery even if it's legal.
I believe you have to take a hazardous materials training but then you can ship lithium batteries. People do it all the time - ever order a laptop online? A lot of e-bikes have the kind of batteries that can separate and then aren't larger than a laptop battery, so they can fly with them. I'd have no problems shipping those (properly).
Old 12-02-19, 06:09 PM
2old

Originally Posted by linberl
I believe you have to take a hazardous materials training but then you can ship lithium batteries. People do it all the time - ever order a laptop online? A lot of e-bikes have the kind of batteries that can separate and then aren't larger than a laptop battery, so they can fly with them. I'd have no problems shipping those (properly).
Kind of what I alluded to; I wouldn't take a HAZMAT course just to ship a battery, but that's just me.
Old 12-02-19, 09:04 PM
linberl

Kind of what I alluded to; I wouldn't take a HAZMAT course just to ship a battery, but that's just me.
Lol, no that's not it, ha ha. You take your battery to fedex or somewhere that is already certified to ship lithium batteries and they pack it for you. But for a company/business, they can take the course and get certified.
Old 12-02-19, 10:38 PM
2old

Originally Posted by linberl
Lol, no that's not it, ha ha. You take your battery to fedex or somewhere that is already certified to ship lithium batteries and they pack it for you. But for a company/business, they can take the course and get certified.
LOL ha ha ha, report back when you've done it successfully. Until then, it's not as easy as just taking it to FedEx (as I know from experience).
Old 12-02-19, 10:50 PM
linberl

LOL ha ha ha, report back when you've done it successfully. Until then, it's not as easy as just taking it to FedEx (as I know from experience).
I had a Prodeco e-bike when I first returned to riding, about 8 years ago. I shipped their defective battery back to them via UPS. My local UPS store called them and got all the specs they needed, prepared the labels, and shipped the package. https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...batteries.page My OneMotor unit with battery was shipped to me by Fedex. Since folks are buying e-bikes online all the time, it obviously is possible. OM told me if I ever need to ship the battery back to them for service, they can pre-supply me with the Fedex label and I can just drop it off at Fedex; the folks at OM took a hazardous materials course and arranged for Fedex to certify their packages. I'm guessing any supplier of e-bikes/batteries has similar certifications. The consumer doesn't need to get certified, they get the label and authorizations through the vendor.
Old 12-02-19, 10:51 PM
2old

That was eight years ago; try it now.
Old 12-02-19, 11:32 PM
linberl

That was eight years ago; try it now.
UPS policy I left a link to is quite clear. And my OM is a recent purchase. The manufacturer or vendor arranges for the label and shipping back to them; they already have the certifications in order to ship to you in the first place. The consumer just takes the battery to the shipper and they make the arrangements to ship on the vendor's account. I sent my OM back to NY to get software updates and that's how it went.
Old 12-02-19, 11:45 PM
2old

Really appreciate all the links, but unfortunately that does nothing to resolve the situation with a battery (from a DIY kit that I evaluated) that can't be returned to its owner because he can't locate anyone with HAZMAT training to bring it to the shipper. Doesn't matter what the shipper's capabilities are. End of discussion, but you can keep prattling along!
Old 12-03-19, 12:08 AM
linberl

Really appreciate all the links, but unfortunately that does nothing to resolve the situation with a battery (from a DIY kit that I evaluated) that can't be returned to its owner because he can't locate anyone with HAZMAT training to bring it to the shipper. Doesn't matter what the shipper's capabilities are. End of discussion, but you can keep prattling along!
Government regulations concern how the batteries are shipped - there's nothing in the regulations that state consumers cannot take a battery directly to a qualified shipper for proper packing and shipment. If you can't/won't take it to a qualified shipper, that's an entirely different issue. There are 3 qualified certified shippers within 2 miles of my house. But, whatever, I'm sure you know everything about it, which is why you're stuck with a battery, lol.
Old 12-03-19, 01:40 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Bike Flights has an option for shipping a battery or ebike. Anyone who tells you there's a problem with getting the product from home to box to truck is lying LOL ha ha.
Old 12-03-19, 09:04 AM
2old

I have a battery from a manufacturer in Oregon that was part of a DIY kit that was evaluated. When testing was completed, they sent me a call tag for the motor and corresponding parts with the exception of the battery. They stated that they needed to locate somebody with HAZMAT training to be able to send a call tag for the battery (everyone knows that FedEx, UPS and Bike Flights etc have the requisite training, but they said the individual they send the call tag needs to be licensed too). Did they lie to me (why would they not want an expensive battery returned)?
Old 12-03-19, 10:06 AM
2old

I contacted the UPS hazardous materials center (800-554-9964) and was told for this 500 w/h Lithium battery I would need to locate a HAZMAT broker who would take the battery, then arrange pick up. I invite any individuals to check on the information themselves. LOL hahaha, especially to those who called me a liar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.