Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Treviso (Update)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pinarello Treviso (Update)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 03:24 PM
wanlogan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
Throughout all this dissertation, did we ever get the serial #?
Haha, I can't believe I forgot to get that. I'll try and find it when I get home. Would this be typically stamped on the bottom bracket shell?
I managed to talk her down to $390, not knowing the type of frameset/parts the thing had. She kept repeating the fact that it was a "collectible".

Ride-wise, this thing is amazingly smooth and agile, after a bit of chain lube and wheel truing. Regardless, I think I'm keeping this for a while.
As for touch-up paint, could I possibly take this into a car body shop and have the guys match the color? Any tips for cleaning the brake hoods/where to find new ones ? (Or are they only in NOS, discontinued form)
Old 08-19-09, 03:27 PM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, the serial number should be on the BB.
Old 08-19-09, 03:49 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wanlogan
Ride-wise, this thing is amazingly smooth and agile, after a bit of chain lube and wheel truing.
Welcome to the world of nice Italian racing bicycles!!!
Old 08-19-09, 07:11 PM
wanlogan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I checked the BB, and I only see "Pinarello Treviso-Italy", and a (serial?) number of P19 printed on the drive side.
Old 08-19-09, 08:52 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hmmm... well that helps not very much, huh?
Old 08-19-09, 10:20 PM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wanlogan
So I checked the BB, and I only see "Pinarello Treviso-Italy", and a (serial?) number of P19 printed on the drive side.
Sorry about that. I now see that only one of two 1980's Pinarellos I own has the serial # on the BB. Well, so much for consistency.
Old 08-20-09, 09:28 AM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My '85 had the serial # on the underside of the BB. Where else did they put a serial #?
Old 08-24-09, 02:01 AM
jeffieh
South Seas Correspondent

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
P19 could be the number.
A couple of years ago my identical frame (Maybe 1/2in shorter than yours) was IDed as an 82 Record by venerable BF experts. The serial number is S747.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6539_2.jpg (94.4 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0657.jpg (99.4 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by jeffieh; 08-24-09 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-24-09, 02:14 AM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
My '85 had the serial # on the underside of the BB. Where else did they put a serial #?
Not sure. My other one doesn't have a serial #.
Old 08-24-09, 01:35 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
wanlogan: it appears we now both have very similar bikes!

my thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=577230

does yours have a pump peg on it? that was one weird thing about mine that t-mar pointed out.

in any case, yours is beautiful! and if it rides like mine i'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Old 08-31-09, 11:48 PM
wanlogan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, jeffieh, your bike looks very similar to mine!
I think I'll just call it an '82 Record for simplicity's sake.

delicious: Nope, no pump peg. Sounds pretty special though. Also, your decals look to be in fantastic condition. Nice find!
Old 12-01-19, 10:03 AM
515Cycling

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda, 1976 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 27 Posts
Treviso or Super?

As it came to me.

Serial # S650
I was hoping to get everyone's opinion about this bike. I have searched just about every "Help me ID this Pinarello" This thread's bike is most like the bike I have. Here's how it came:
Campy (PAT 83) throughout except brake levers and calipers (Shimano Dura Ace ax)
Mavic GP 4 tubular rims
Selle Turbo white seat
3ttt stem
Cinelli Giro bars
Serial #S650
The bike was painted with Imron black paint. It was very thick.

After reading most of the posts, I believe this bike was built up as you see it the first picture. So, I believe it was the original build as it was sent to me. When I removed the paint, the fork is unpolished chrome underneath. I have a couple of questions. Is this frame a Treviso or a Super? Based upon that finding, what should I do with the fork during restoration? Paint it again or polish the chrome, or have it re-chromed? Does anyone have the paint code for the blue that is shown on the bike in this thread? Thanks for any assistance!
Old 12-01-19, 10:30 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Isaak
I was hoping to get everyone's opinion about this bike. I have searched just about every "Help me ID this Pinarello" This thread's bike is most like the bike I have. Here's how it came:

After reading most of the posts, I believe this bike was built up as you see it the first picture. So, I believe it was the original build as it was sent to me. When I removed the paint, the fork is unpolished chrome underneath. I have a couple of questions. Is this frame a Treviso or a Super? Based upon that finding, what should I do with the fork during restoration? Paint it again or polish the chrome, or have it re-chromed? Does anyone have the paint code for the blue that is shown on the bike in this thread? Thanks for any assistance!
Given lack of chrome on seat caps and stays, if date codes are correct, with the quality of pic shown, best guess is likely either a Treviso or Italia.

I would recommend starting a new ID thread, though, rather than bumping one 10yrs old. Cuts down on confusion for everyone.

I'd recommend doing with it whatever your resources and/or taste permit. I traded off a mid-80s Pinarello Record to another BF'er, it was bright red with a rainbow metalflake from the factory and looked amazing, especially in the sun.
Old 12-01-19, 11:20 AM
515Cycling

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda, 1976 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 27 Posts
Will do

francophile,

I appreciate your input. I have been conditioned over the years by a car forum where the participants get cranky if don't show that you've used the "search" function. I will get some better photos and post as a new thread. Thanks agin for your repsonse.

Mark
Likes For 515Cycling:
Old 12-01-19, 12:26 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

I think in cases where you're discussing a topic which needs to be centralized, that makes sense. I'm on a truck forum that's very similar. If it's specific to a common process or common problem, they want everything lumped into a "legacy" thread. But anything regarding identification is fair game to have its own.

I don't run BF so I can't say something either way. I've seen more than one person get frustrated with people tacking ID posts onto the tail end of someone eles's thread, if for no other reason than the subject may not jibe, and the response often gets less traction. But my comment was only a suggestion, I'd love to see you get an answer!
Likes For francophile:
Old 12-01-19, 04:48 PM
kolovoz

Bikes: Crown Jewel, Superfly, Presidio

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like a great bike in solid condition. Sweet find.
Likes For kolovoz:
Old 12-01-19, 05:00 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Isaak

As it came to me.

Serial # S650
Campy (PAT 83) throughout except brake levers and calipers (Shimano Dura Ace ax)
Mavic GP 4 tubular rims
Selle Turbo white seat
3ttt stem
Cinelli Giro bars
Serial #S650
The bike was painted with Imron black paint. It was very thick.

Here are some observations:

I think you're aware it is a respray, so I won't say much about that, but keep in mind when there were seat tube bottle mounts the dual Pinarello decal should be used to avoid the holes.

That Columbus decal looks a bit odd, too.

The fork crown appears to be the earlier (~'82 catalog) type which aligns with the serial number format X###. Yet that doesn't quite align with the seat tube bottle mounts (~'85) or the head tube pump peg (~'87). But it's worth noting the old style fork crown did find it's way into the '85 catalog (Catena Lusso).

In the '82 catalog the drive side chain stay on the Treviso is painted, but has a chrome fork crown. On the other hand the Treviso is shown with a clamp on FD, while yours has a tab.

I'd say it's a Treviso - probably ~'84 given the departures from the '82 catalog. If the chrome on the fork is in good condition I'd just polish it and leave as is - no need to paint it again IMO. There's no paint codes for Pinarello colours as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by P!N20; 12-01-19 at 05:06 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 12-02-19, 01:35 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
The dead giveaway on a Pinarello Record would be the cutouts on the bottom bracket on the lugs to the stays. No other model has them. I picked one up a couple of months ago. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...r-project.html

Old 12-02-19, 04:08 PM
P!N20

Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
The dead giveaway on a Pinarello Record would be the cutouts on the bottom bracket on the lugs to the stays. No other model has them.
Citation needed. These are Trevisos with the cutouts you mention:

Last edited by P!N20; 12-02-19 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 04:44 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
Do the bikes in those photos have FD hangers or clamps? Treviso did not have the hanger. Record did. BB casting, derailleur hanger, and paint (which is, at this late date, very unreliable) are pretty much the only cataloged differences between the models. But, there have certainly been oddities along the way so anything is possible.
Old 12-02-19, 05:12 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Most recent Record I had, for reference: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lo-record.html
Likes For francophile:
Old 12-02-19, 05:29 PM
P!N20

Do the bikes in those photos have FD hangers or clamps? Treviso did not have the hanger. Record did. BB casting, derailleur hanger, and paint (which is, at this late date, very unreliable) are pretty much the only cataloged differences between the models.
The bikes in the images above have FD tabs.

It's difficult to find a Treviso with a clamp-on derailleur - they can't all be Records, can they? I'd argue despite the catalog images, there were plenty of Trevisos with FD tabs.

Anyway, here's an alleged Treviso with clamp on FD with cutouts:

(Not original paint or decals)

But, there have certainly been oddities along the way so anything is possible.
Now this I agree with. Nearly every Pinarello that pops up seems to depart in some way from the catalog images.
Likes For P!N20: