Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Voyageur -- 1986 Pickup Today

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 12-17-19, 07:56 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts

UPDATE: Final Photos Added Jan 8 Starting at Post #19:

Hey all, I just picked up a Schwinn Voyageur today in what I believe is called Pine Green. From everything I've been reading, it looks to be a 1986, but I need you experts to verify that. I am new to the touring world and am finding out that I apparently got a really, really good deal on this at $60. I seldom pass on any bike for less than $75 unless it's obvious junk. I had a hunch I was picking up a nice ride. Obviously, it needs some going through and brought up to snuff, like new bar tape and a good cleaning up.

Anyhow, I have found the Schwinn brochures online, but it doesn't mention this model carrying the SunTour XC 9000 RD that mine has. Can anyone confirm that this was the original one? It seems period correct anyhow. Also, the original wheelset has sealed bearings. Do they need to be replaced after all this time? I plan on doing the lubes on all of the other bearings.

Since I'm new at the touring bike game, I was wondering what the set of bosses are for UNDER the front down tube close to the bottom bracket. Is that just another set to stick whatever might fit? Also, I do not know what the set of oversized bosses, the ones with spacers is for on the front fork about 2/3 of the way down on each side. Is that for a rack or something?

If anyone has any interesting tidbits about this model, I sure would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 01-08-20 at 01:54 PM.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 12-17-19, 08:45 PM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCa...986Ltwt31.html
Thats a link to the catalog for the 1986 voyageur build. You can look at the rest of that year and many more by clicking the arrows at the top.

I found that site very helpful for the Schwinn bikes I've owned from that era, including the 86 Voyageur I have.

As for that derailleur, no its not original. I love Suntour. I like it far better than older Shimano. But then again I like friction shifting so there aren't any issues with friction.

I would treat the sealed bearings the same as the rest of the bike. Clean the outside, make sure they're not damaged, regrease then leave it alone til the next cleaning.

The mounts under the down tube by the bottom bracket is for a third water bottle or mount for anything else. The mounts on the fork blades are for a rack. I suppose you could use it for another fender mount if you needed.

I don't know what you plan to do with the bike but I had a hell of a time, and failed thus far, converting from the original 27" wheels to 700c. I've tried multiple different canti brakes. Nothing seems to work. I've seen a different '86 Voyageur on Instagram that was able to convert wheel sizes. I know its possible but I haven't been able to do it. I do know I have a wide set of rims on the touring wheelset I have. It would be nice to use them to open the options for different tires. I'm hoping to get mine going this winter.

I got mine in terrible shape. I replaced everything except the fork, seat post bold, the headset, canti brakes and possibly seat post. I had hoped to build it up with new Sram parts, racks bags, etc and do some over night rides. But the brakes derailed that plan. I was considering lacing up a nice 27" wheelset capable of modern components.

I do know people love these bikes. I've read many forums and the general consensus seems to be vastly positive. I can't speak too much to the ride quality. I've only ridden mine maybe 50 miles over the years.
Likes For gil_00000:
Old 12-17-19, 09:27 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,692 Posts
Welcome to the '86 Voyageur Owner's Club! I picked up a very low mileage model this year. The official name for the color is British Pine.

Your stock rear derailleur would be a Shimano Light Action. These are very well built bikes. I hope that you will enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

1986 Schwinn Voyageur by cb400bill, on Flickr
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-17-19, 09:32 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Here is a link to comparison chart with specs of the various Voyageur models from 1980 to 1991.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
voyageur-comparison.pdf (38.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-17-19 at 09:35 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-18-19, 01:43 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Thanks to all for the info! I had a hunch the RD wasn't the original. Very interesting that someone went to all of this trouble to swap it out.
Old 12-18-19, 02:05 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Nice rig, Bill! I love the hammered fenders and the bell.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 12-18-19, 05:58 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Congrats on getting a fine bike. Mine is an '87. After a frame up restoration I loaded it up to 70lbs and rode the GAP this past summer. It handled it all just great. GAP on my Voyageur

You'll see I went fully self supported so that 70lbs was bike, camping gear, kitchen, food, water, tools, etc. I shifted as much weight forward as I could but that 40 spoke rear wheel was still well loaded. No sweat, didn't even blink. You'll see I used that bottle position under the DT for a tool bottle with fuel and tools. The front fork mid mounts held my DIY cages for trail mix and protein bars. Lots of custom made stuff on that bike.

"Sealed bearings" may not be what you think. Yes they are somewhat sealed as they keep sticks, dead squirrels and gum wrappers out but otherwise they are pretty standard hubs. Take the hubs apart for an excellent cleaning and relube. The grease is almost 35 years old and dirty. Ditto the HS and BB and pedals.

Enjoy your voyageur and go 'venturing.

BTW, those canti brakes with new Jagwire pads did just fine. On the last day's decent from the Eastern Continental Divide, 22 miles down grade on that 70 lb machine, in cold rain, they worked just fine. 17 mph at times on stone unpaved trail. No worries.

Last edited by Prowler; 12-18-19 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-18-19, 08:18 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by Prowler
Congrats on getting a fine bike. Mine is an '87. After a frame up restoration I loaded it up to 70lbs and rode the GAP this past summer. It handled it all just great. GAP on my Voyageur

You'll see I went fully self supported so that 70lbs was bike, camping gear, kitchen, food, water, tools, etc. I shifted as much weight forward as I could but that 40 spoke rear wheel was still well loaded. No sweat, didn't even blink. You'll see I used that bottle position under the DT for a tool bottle with fuel and tools. The front fork mid mounts held my DIY cages for trail mix and protein bars. Lots of custom made stuff on that bike.

"Sealed bearings" may not be what you think. Yes they are somewhat sealed as they keep sticks, dead squirrels and gum wrappers out but otherwise they are pretty standard hubs. Take the hubs apart for an excellent cleaning and relube. The grease is almost 35 years old and dirty. Ditto the HS and BB and pedals.

Enjoy your voyageur and go 'venturing.

BTW, those canti brakes with new Jagwire pads did just fine. On the last day's decent from the Eastern Continental Divide, 22 miles down grade on that 70 lb machine, in cold rain, they worked just fine. 17 mph at times on stone unpaved trail. No worries.
This is very encouraging! It looks like I might have found a real keeper here! I am a bit concerned about 27" rims as opposed to 700 as there are so many better tire options. Using that extra set of bosses for a tool and fuel box is a great idea I had never thought of. I will take the hubs apart, but did not indeed know it was possible. I figured they were sealed throw-aways if they had gone bad. Congrats on your ride. That must have been a real sense of accomplishment!
Old 12-18-19, 08:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,301 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Welcome to the '86 Voyageur Owner's Club! I picked up a very low mileage model this year.
Dork disc=Not hot.

Srsly...First thing I thought was how much I like the color. My eyes aren't what they used to be. Is that a light on the front rack?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-18-19, 09:49 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Is that a light on the front rack?
It is a Light & Motion SECA 2500 mounted with a Nitto light mount on a M12 rack.

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-18-19 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-18-19, 05:49 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
Thanks to all for the info! I had a hunch the RD wasn't the original. Very interesting that someone went to all of this trouble to swap it out.
Even if you put an original RD back on it, don't just throw that one away. XC9000 was TOTL for MTB components, just like XTR is Shimano's TOTL now. 👌
Old 12-18-19, 05:57 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by stardognine
Even if you put an original RD back on it, don't just throw that one away. XC9000 was TOTL for MTB components, just like XTR is Shimano's TOTL now. 👌
Yeah, I don't see any need to put it back to stock. I was riding it a bit yesterday and I like the indexed shifting. It works well.
Old 12-18-19, 05:59 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by cb400bill
It is a Light & Motion SECA 2500 mounted with a Nitto light mount on a M12 rack.
That mirror is very interesting also. And look at how the front rack attaches to the brake bosses. Interesting.
Old 12-20-19, 03:40 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
You beat me to the draw on that one. I had contacted the seller, but you were the faster.
Congratulations on a very nice looking ride. Robert, in Vine Grove
Old 12-28-19, 09:24 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by imabeliever1
You beat me to the draw on that one. I had contacted the seller, but you were the faster.
Congratulations on a very nice looking ride. Robert, in Vine Grove
Sorry, Robert. I've been in that position so many times I can't count. I do get lucky once in a while.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 12-29-19, 10:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
It isnt a lot of trouble to swap a RD out. Its unscrewing a bolt and disconnecting a cable, then doing the reverse. It takes 3-15min depending on how much adjusting is needed.
Perhaps the original bent/broke. That's one of many possibilities and a very real one, considering the age and intended use of the bike.
Old 12-29-19, 10:29 AM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It isnt a lot of trouble to swap a RD out. Its unscrewing a bolt and disconnecting a cable, then doing the reverse. It takes 3-15min depending on how much adjusting is needed.
Perhaps the original bent/broke. That's one of many possibilities and a very real one, considering the age and intended use of the bike.
Sorry, what I didn't include in my messaging is that the upgrade required a rear cassette also as it went from 5 speed to 6. Also, the original shifters were changed to a Suntour indexing type (I'm not sure what model, but it doesn't say Accushift on it). Now, whether that might have been due to some accident, who knows? There aren't any scratches on the frame indicative of any of that kind of trauma, but again, that's a guess. I do indeed like these shifters though. I'm not very good at the "seek and find" method of friction shifting. I usually over-shoot and have to find my way back through all of the rattling and complaining of the RD.
Old 01-03-20, 07:59 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

She's getting there.... Velo Orange hammered fenders coming in tomorrow. That'll take a good day to install. I also have an Ibera rear rack on the way. My new bell is late getting here... .

I'm going with a 30 tooth final cog on the Suntour Winner Pro cassette and changing the front Biopace to regular 46/36/24 Shimano up front. I put it all back together anyhow for now. I can change the gearing when I get the time.

Take a look and see what you think?? So far, I have $466 and change in the entire project.

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 01-03-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 01:48 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

I'm finally wrapping this up today. Installed the VO Hammered fenders yesterday along with the Shimano SG 46/36/24 front rings (replacing 50/44/28 Biopace). The only thing I'd like to do is put a 30 cog on my Suntour Winner Pro 6-speed cassette, but even my vintage LBS didn't know how to do that. I know someone out there knows how, but it ain't me. Take a look at the photos and see what you think. For a total investment of less than $500, I'd say not bad at all.

Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-08-20, 01:49 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

A couple of more pics:

Old 01-08-20, 07:05 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
What a nice bike! Looks great! Love the look of those fenders with the green paint.
Likes For tyler_fred:
Old 01-08-20, 07:36 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Nice job!
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-08-20, 07:56 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Not bad atall. 👍 That’s about the same green as my Killer V, except mine has the sparkly sparklers (metallic is what they called it, back in the day). 😁
Likes For stardognine: