Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Roadbikes changing value?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Roadbikes changing value?

Old 01-19-20, 10:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
You have the new generation coming up who thinks a road tire smaller than 50mm is too small and "beats them up". The thought of riding a 23-25 makes them cringe in pain lol. And a 39-42T small ring scares them. So vintage bikes probably aren't their thing.
Yeah...I'm not one to rip on others for wanting to ride tires wider than 23 or wanting gearing that is appropriate for 'the rest of us'.
Its 2 things I do to every c&v frame I have- put quality wider tires on and adjust gearing to suit my riding. Old sakae and Sugino triple cranks make for excellent modern compact ratios. 50/34 or 48/34. Inexpensive, still looks the part, and allows me to use the bike on more than just flat paved trails.

I am 39. Not sure if that is new generation, but I would argue it isnt, yet I want what you claim they want. Point is- itnisnt just them.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-19-20, 10:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
In my dotage (I turn 60 this year), I find myself gravitating toward bikes I really like to ride, can ride all day or on a multi-day tour, and have relatively current technology (I’m a big fan of Shimergo drivetrains with Campy ergo brifters and Shimano mechs). I also like fatter, high quality tires. That all means I ride the C&V members of the fleet less and less unless they’ve been retrofitted with modern components and are usually 650b conversions (to get wider tires). In fact, my ride today was on my early birthday present, and I look forward to some serious bike-packing trips on it this summer.

always great to see a black mountain frame! Looks good- plush, fun, and fast.
Old 01-20-20, 01:22 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm a numbers geek, so I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of how much I spend on bikes and how many miles I've ridden them. My most expensive bike (not vintage, FWIW) I've spent over $2500 on between what I paid for it and what I've spent on upgraded parts. Right now, that works out to 34 cents per mile that I've ridden it. I could give it away and I wouldn't have "lost" money in any meaningful sense. My vintage bikes get a lower share of ,my total mileage and so most of them have a higher per mile cost. My Stella, for example, currently sits at a whopping $5.62 per mile that I've ridden it. I don't have a good formula for the cost per times that it has made me smile just looking at it. On the other hand, riding the shorter "Piedras Blancas" route at Eroica last year cost me around $4.50 per mile and I don't expect to get that back in some way by selling the experience.

All this is to say that the only relevance to me as to whether the C&V market goes up or down is that it changes which bikes I'll be willing to buy. I'm pretty confident that I'll be about to find new owners for any of my bikes when I decide I don't want them anymore. For people who like to restore bikes and pay for their hobby (or even make a few bucks) by flipping them, I can understand that this works out differently.
Old 01-20-20, 02:08 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The vast majority of vintage racing bikes available are from the 1980's. Most would be lucky to fit even a 28. I know big tires have been around since the dawn of time. You have to keep in mind that at the dawn of the bicycle, most roads were not paved. Early 20th century races were basically gravel races on fixed gear bikes. Tire size for racing bikes started to come down in the middle of the century when most roads started to become paved because you don't need huge tires on paved roads.
I'm not just talking about the 19th century. You said 23-25mm: until tire clearances started crunching down through the 1980s, bicycles outside of road racing models usually came with tires 28mm or wider (including recreational road bikes, where sizes like 27 x 1 1/4 reigned).

The lower pressures cause more tire deflection which makes a more sluggish ride and more unneeded rotating weight, that's just simple physics.
Rolling behavior is a bit more complicated. The wider the tire, the less deformation occurs from a given amount of vertical deflection. The 25mm tires on my Emonda would feel extremely mushy if I rode them at 40r/35f, but the 2.1" tires on my gravel bike feel quite firm at those pressures with respect to pedaling and paved cornering, while still providing better compliance than I'd tend to get from a skinny-tired road setup at adequate inflation. Many wide tires exhibit very high rolling resistance on pavement, but that's in larger part because most wide tires are beefy and/or knobby than because they're wide.

At speed it's easy to feel big changes in the rotational momentum of the wheels in the bike's handling, but the actual performance effects are fairly subtle: mass at the rim creates the same gravitational resistance as mass anywhere else, and although the impact on acceleration is doubled, a couple hundred grams at the rim will still typically only increase an average bike+rider's resistance to acceleration by 1% or so (and you're still fighting other sources of drag, so even during accelerations, the impact on required power would be a smaller percentage).

I'm surprised you didn't mention aerodynamic drag, because it's usually the largest intrinsic cost of going to wider tires. (And if we're considering aero builds, there's also some opportunity cost, since very little aero equipment exists for super-wide tires.)

At any rate, I'm not saying that super-wide tires give up nothing to skinny tires on good roads. I just think it's not unreasonable for people to want wider than 25mm, that there are a lot of potential benefits, and that the drawbacks to erring wider are less extreme than usually made out. Even with the extreme 2.1" tires on my gravel bike, I sometimes take it on spirited road rides for variety's sake, and I'm mostly able to hang with pacelines of similar composition. (And it's certainly faster than a few of my friends' beefy-tired rain road bikes.)

I'm talking about regular rides on paved roads which is what most people ride. I am seeing more and more people all the time riding gravel bikes with big tires for road cycling. I was at the shop a few weeks ago and the guy there told me gravel bikes were the biggest sellers and there's not even any gravel roads where I live. They're riding them on road rides for "comfort" and I'm seeing them showing up on group rides. The wave is coming and there's no stopping it. A modern endurance bike with 28's or even 32's would be an outstanding road bike for these people but the big tire fad is going full force.
Maybe we're looking at different demographics or maybe your area is just different. A little bit ago I met up with a 30-person casual road meetup that sampled a pretty wide breadth of sorts of cyclists. Looking through the photos I'm seeing two fat-tired gravel bikes (which their riders definitely also use for gravel) and one fat-tired commuter e-bike, and otherwise the tires all look like they're probably in the 23-32mm realm. People who went ultra-wide just to go ultra-wide definitely exist, but it seems like a small minority.

I don't have a problem with low gearing when you have hard climbs, but that's the beauty about the now almost-dead triple. I have a bike with a triple specifically for when I ride western NC mountains. But I don't like a 34T for a double because at cruising speed I'm always at the bottom of my cassette and have to shift the front way too often. With a 39T I'm usually in the 15-16T at cruising speed solo, so I still have another four or so cogs before I have to upshift.
I agree about the merits of triples, and that 50-34 cranks often result in recreational riders getting caught "between the chainrings", but 53-39 seems like a silly solution to this problem. If you're setting up a bike for flatland riding and you spend a lot of time cruising in the 39-15, you're essentially never going to have much use for the higher gears on the 53T chainring. And if you're setting up a bike for mountainous riding, the 39T chainring won't provide decent climbing gears unless you're okay with a very wide-spaced cassette. In either case, the 53-39 is at best a weird compromise solution, and for many people in such situations something like a subcompact (to use as 1x-plus-granny) or a triple would be preferable (or just a 1x for the flatland person who needs very few ratios anyway).

Last edited by HTupolev; 01-20-20 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-20-20, 05:34 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I agree about the merits of triples, and that 50-34 cranks often result in recreational riders getting caught "between the chainrings", but 53-39 seems like a silly solution to this problem. If you're setting up a bike for flatland riding and you spend a lot of time cruising in the 39-15, you're essentially never going to have much use for the higher gears on the 53T chainring.
Just because someone doesn't live in the mountains with HC climbs doesn't mean they live in the flatlands, and I don't lol. There's plenty of climbs where I live that get the heart rate up. But I'm not a weak rider and rarely even go into my biggest cog. I climb them on my 48x18 single speed which is actually the bike I ride the most, but I did just go to a 46 so I can keep the RPM's I like. I'm in the big ring a lot and on my A group rides I'm in it most of the time. Though I have no problem with a 50T big ring. A 50/39 would be great and would shift faster as well.
Old 01-20-20, 07:23 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
Has technology & taste made classic roadbikes built in the 1970s and 80s and similar (like steel 26" mtn bikes) the way of the film camera?
Interesting analogy. A revolutionary change in technology. Same goes for the bicycle. Very few poeople who take up cycling as a serious pursuit have any knowlege of bicycles from 30-40 years ago. Those bikes are, and I've heard the word used many times, obsolete. A lot of what were considered valuable collectibles and antiques have lost their value in the last twenty years. Bicycles fit in with that as well. The times they are a changin.
Old 01-20-20, 07:31 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I'm a numbers geek, so I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of how much I spend on bikes and how many miles I've ridden them. My most expensive bike (not vintage, FWIW) I've spent over $2500 on between what I paid for it and what I've spent on upgraded parts. Right now, that works out to 34 cents per mile that I've ridden it. I could give it away and I wouldn't have "lost" money in any meaningful sense. My vintage bikes get a lower share of ,my total mileage and so most of them have a higher per mile cost. My Stella, for example, currently sits at a whopping $5.62 per mile that I've ridden it. I don't have a good formula for the cost per times that it has made me smile just looking at it. On the other hand, riding the shorter "Piedras Blancas" route at Eroica last year cost me around $4.50 per mile and I don't expect to get that back in some way by selling the experience.

All this is to say that the only relevance to me as to whether the C&V market goes up or down is that it changes which bikes I'll be willing to buy. I'm pretty confident that I'll be about to find new owners for any of my bikes when I decide I don't want them anymore. For people who like to restore bikes and pay for their hobby (or even make a few bucks) by flipping them, I can understand that this works out differently.
RE: don't have a good formula for the cost per times that it has made me smile just looking at it.

I consider my bikes pieces of art and do use them all.
For example, my Colnago C40 Art Deco paint job is in my living room along with my other pictures. I look at this bike more than all the other beautiful pictures and always think about my rides and next rides on it.
Likes For joesch:
Old 01-20-20, 07:42 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
RE: don't have a good formula for the cost per times that it has made me smile just looking at it.

I consider my bikes pieces of art and do use them all.
For example, my Colnago C40 Art Deco paint job is in my living room along with my other pictures. I look at this bike more than all the other beautiful pictures and always think about my rides and next rides on it.
I can so relate to this. I'm still searching for my grail bike, and when I get it, it will never be ridden as long as I own it. It was Norman Maclean who said, “To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - came by grace; and grace comes by art; and art does not come easy.” I think of bikes in the same way. I'm not fanatical or evangelical about them, but I revere all things mechanical. Any bike is a work of art. Some more so than others, surely.
Old 01-20-20, 07:49 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I might be in the minority but I like threads that are like trees. It doesn't bother me when they branch out. So long as you eventually return to the roots, all is good.

What I don't care for is when it gets personal. For the most part folks in the C&V area of the forum play nicely.

I loved seeing Nlerner's new ride. It is probably the epitome of the current do-it-all, practical bike. There is a lot to like.

I appreciated many of the comments but the opinions that hit a chord with me are that the "typical buyers" of vintage road bikes are getting older and they are not really in the market anymore and the fact that demand for vintage bikes seems to have shifted to vintage MTB's.
I have noticed pricing on my local CL jumping up on MTB's while road bikes seem to languish for months, even at low prices.
Old 01-20-20, 08:46 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
since the secret with vintage MTBs is out (just like what happened to Japanese road bikes), the new value segment is 15-year-old hybrids. Anyone want a Trek FX 7.2 for $500 :V

(actually one of the *best* value segments is aluminum road bikes in that 10-15 year old range. local shop with a used section was selling an old Giant OCR with 105 for super cheap and I always think that would be a fantastic way for someone interested in road cycling to get started, even if it's not "classic")
Old 01-20-20, 11:50 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Just because someone doesn't live in the mountains with HC climbs doesn't mean they live in the flatlands, and I don't lol.
I wasn't saying you were, that's why I described a couple of cases.

I also wasn't saying you're a "weak" rider: I think that the vast majority of people on road bikes have relatively little use for the top-end on a 53T chainring on a modern road bike, and that's actually my point. And you're sort of implying this as well by acting like everyone should be okay with vintage road doubles, since they typically had 13-tooth or 14-tooth small cogs: a 52-13 is the same ratio as a 44-11, and a 52-14 is roughly the same ratio as a 41-11.
Old 01-20-20, 01:15 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I'm the OP and I learned so much from your guys' responses. From details to the damaged stay I would not have observed to the many comments and ideas about a changing market. Interesting parallel to vintage mtb bikes being in demand and the reasons - wider tires are popular on all types of bikes - a limitation with some older frames. If technology is a factor, and I think it is - a racing bike may be especially vulnerable to being overlooked - look at the racing bikes today! People with multiple racing bikes have carbon, titanium, custom...If they have a vintage one at all there may be only room in the stable for one - not the way it was 10, 20 years ago.

Another huge factor is the buyers age. A guy who's 35 today was 15 in the year 2000. STI shifters had been out for a decade by then - since our guy was a toddler. Going back beyond that is a generation gap and these folks are getting older. I also agree that sites like ebay, craiglist and social media listings have flooded the market with all sorts of bikes and instruments that used to be hidden away. If you're in the market for vintage whatever - these are good times to look.

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I might be in the minority but I like threads that are like trees. It doesn't bother me when they branch out. So long as you eventually return to the roots, all is good.

What I don't care for is when it gets personal. For the most part folks in the C&V area of the forum play nicely.

I loved seeing Nlerner's new ride. It is probably the epitome of the current do-it-all, practical bike. There is a lot to like.

I appreciated many of the comments but the opinions that hit a chord with me are that the "typical buyers" of vintage road bikes are getting older and they are not really in the market anymore and the fact that demand for vintage bikes seems to have shifted to vintage MTB's.

I have noticed pricing on my local CL jumping up on MTB's while road bikes seem to languish for months, even at low prices.
Old 01-20-20, 04:32 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,041 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
since the secret with vintage MTBs is out (just like what happened to Japanese road bikes), the new value segment is 15-year-old hybrids.
30 year old hybrids are even better. There's a pristine Miyata Quickcross locked up in a snowbank downtown here that's making me crazy. It was a 9.5 out of 10 before the snow. I'll hate to see it in the spring.
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-20-20, 10:27 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
I'm the OP and I learned so much from your guys' responses. From details to the damaged stay I would not have observed to the many comments and ideas about a changing market. Interesting parallel to vintage mtb bikes being in demand and the reasons - wider tires are popular on all types of bikes - a limitation with some older frames. If technology is a factor, and I think it is - a racing bike may be especially vulnerable to being overlooked - look at the racing bikes today! People with multiple racing bikes have carbon, titanium, custom...If they have a vintage one at all there may be only room in the stable for one - not the way it was 10, 20 years ago.

Another huge factor is the buyers age. A guy who's 35 today was 15 in the year 2000. STI shifters had been out for a decade by then - since our guy was a toddler. Going back beyond that is a generation gap and these folks are getting older. I also agree that sites like ebay, craiglist and social media listings have flooded the market with all sorts of bikes and instruments that used to be hidden away. If you're in the market for vintage whatever - these are good times to look.
The longer you stick around, the more you'll find that we're a lively and opinionated bunch.

I exactly resemble the 35 year old guy, though my first foray into grown up bikes was, well, perhaps a 26" Royce Union MTB when I was a teen or just before. Or really a 1985 Schwinn World Sport that was way too small for me. Stem shifters, baby! I'll ride down tube, bar-end, or STI shifters. Depends on the build. I appreciate them all for lots of reasons.

Interesting to hear that vintage MTBs continue to really take off. I've known for a little bit that they make excellent (city) commuters as they are rugged, stable, have tons of tire + fender clearance, and dirt cheap. Add in some super sweet paint jobs and a 'customer' base that cares not too much for lugs vs. welds (like, to the high degree that us vintage roadies do), and the world is one's oyster. That makes it a bummer for the vintage road bikes in some ways, but then...eh, what are we going to do? I'm at the point that vintage frames get built with STI/Ergos and priced decently because 1) It's a built bike 2) it functions in a modern, appealing fashion 3) yet is still classy and affordable. The market for complete vintage 63cm+ bikes is small. The market for that size of frameset to buy and build is even smaller. There are what, a couple dozen of us total? Hahaha.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-21-20, 02:38 AM
ctak

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
On the topic of the parabolic fat tire freak fest and the sorry state of public infrastructure: FLUNK for the next ASCE study? The last report card's D+ rating: https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/
The trend is your friend
Old 01-21-20, 02:49 AM
ctak

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
30 year old hybrids are even better. There's a pristine Miyata Quickcross locked up in a snowbank downtown here that's making me crazy. It was a 9.5 out of 10 before the snow. I'll hate to see it in the spring.
Love me some Miyata 90s x. Some guy went to town on his sportcross
Old 01-21-20, 08:38 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
That Miyata is spicy hot

The reverse of putting flat bars on a RB frame isn't exactly uncommon but I swear to god I saw someone here parked with cruiser bars on an old Kestrel monocoque frame and I wish I had taken a picture because it was the best bike I've ever seen
Old 01-21-20, 09:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Interesting to hear that vintage MTBs continue to really take off. I've known for a little bit that they make excellent (city) commuters as they are rugged, stable, have tons of tire + fender clearance, and dirt cheap. Add in some super sweet paint jobs and a 'customer' base that cares not too much for lugs vs. welds (like, to the high degree that us vintage roadies do), and the world is one's oyster.
I never understood why the early 90's iteration of the Specialized Sequoia never took of. They basically took a Rockhopper (I think, pretty sure it wasn't a Stumpjumber) frame, moved the canti posts to accomodate 700c tires, and added a braze on to the seat tube to so you could control a Union generator light. Sturdy tubing, lots of clearance (well, relatively, I think you could only fit 700c x 38 if you used fenders, lots of braze ons, it seemed like a great idea. If only the frame I have in my basement were ~5cm larger than the 58cm it is, I'd have built it up long ago. I keep thinking about doing it with a long seatpost and a big stem, but then I think about the other frames I have to build up first and it keeps getting put off.
I'm at the point that vintage frames get built with STI/Ergos and priced decently because 1) It's a built bike 2) it functions in a modern, appealing fashion 3) yet is still classy and affordable.
I'm with you completely on that. As someone who is 40 and grew up with a mtb that had SIS shifting, I can appreciate downtube/bar end shifters (and have been known to use them in friction on a commuter that I didn't care if it got banged around), but I just don't have the nostalgia factor for someone who grew up with those.
The market for complete vintage 63cm+ bikes is small. The market for that size of frameset to buy and build is even smaller. There are what, a couple dozen of us total? Hahaha.
Yeah, the limited market for our sized frames has led me down the dark path of buying things too small and trying to make them fit. On the other hand, once I got rid of those, my stable is much smaller than that of many of the people here, and my wife appreciates that (or she would if she knew what I wish I had).
Old 01-30-20, 06:15 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
I found it interesting looking at the Bicycling 1994 specs for the road racing bikes.
Most of the bikes in the $400 to $900 had Shimano RX1000 or 105 components and were CroMo or Alu.
The bikes over $1000 starting offering Campy Veloce or Shimano STi / Ultegra with Columbus, TT, 6061 and some Carbon when the prices got closeer to $1500.
The bikes over 2K were providing Campy Chorus, Record and Dura-Ace with some of the lighter steels like MAX, TSX, EL OS, Genius, Ti, and higher end Reynolds 753, 653, 731. The high end listing were 5K .. 6+K and Campy Record, Mavic Zap, and Dura Ace with some of the nice Ti tubing. Many of the famous make Italian bikes were not included like Colnago. Some interesting list price memories.

Likes For joesch:
Old 01-31-20, 08:52 AM
Manu431

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
There are two sorts of people looking for vintage bike in my opinion.

People like me in their 50's , who had such a bike younger, and other people following the "vintage" trend and or people wanting to speculate.
Same phenomenon with cars.

There is always an history behind a purchase and or renovation, not just a price.
I will probably never trade my "cheap" gitane bike even for a "better" one, just because this is the bike I had for christmas as a young boy. There is an history behind and I like it like it is, even without fancy campagnolo etc...
and I don't really consider to upgrade it. It is like it is.

I am also ready to invest some money in a bike which will remember me for example some moment I had with my parents waiting for the Tour de france passing by at the end of the 70's / 80's
I remember clearly these great racers passing by, Thevenet, Hinault, .......and so many others.
I always go to the tour de france from time to time, but it is not the same anymore. Not the same feeling, to much pro.

I admit I had almost no interest for riding racing bike during about the last 25 years (made a lot of XC moutain bike instead in the 90's), but now it is growing on me.
Maybe because i am a father myself and I want my son to know a little these bikes now that he is 15 years old now.
It is important to me that we do that together, and that he knows that it is a nice and rewarding experience to put an old bike on the road again.

As I am working on rebuilding my gitane, i have seen the interest of my son. I already know he will ride it more than me, because he LOVES bicycles.
And I already purchased a Mercier we will do for him, (and that should be a better bike as my Gitane)
Old 01-31-20, 08:33 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

@joesch Thank you for those photos! Man, $1049 for a Shimano 105 bike? Over $1800 now, which, compared to the level of bike gets for $1000-1100 now, we really do have it good today.
Old 01-31-20, 08:34 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
@joesch Thank you for those photos! Man, $1049 for a Shimano 105 bike? Over $1800 now, which, compared to the level of bike gets for $1000-1100 now, we really do have it good today.
We had it good before too.
Old 01-31-20, 11:14 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Heck!, I just noticed a lot of French C&V components being priced crazy high again after they went a bit down for a while. I dunno what's causing this price blip.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 02-01-20, 12:17 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by Wileyone
We had it good before too.
Yup, and I ride those frames!
Old 02-01-20, 05:34 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I'm hitting a saturation point for picking up potential projects and realizing that its the loss of time to sell stuff or fix up to flip is more significant than market fluxuations. The oportunity to master another dead trade still has value. About the Miyata, I was measurring up a Triple Cross I pulled out of the scrap yard, and If fixed it up for myself the seat post would be almost as high as this one, and Im just getting to where I'm comfortable with some handle bar drop. Is the super extended seat post a style thing? Does the bike get my time to find out if its rideable, or do I evential drop it off at the co-op?...thats my addition to thread drift......

Originally Posted by ctak
Love me some Miyata 90s x. Some guy went to town on his sportcross

Last edited by bark_eater; 02-01-20 at 05:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.