Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycle Computer For Luddite

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycle Computer For Luddite

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
The technical novelties that came with introduction of the bicycle were ball bearings and pneumatic tires.

Ball bearings had existed, they were simply too expensive to use, and designers figured how to get the job done without them. Bikes created the demand for ball bearings. Bikes were the killer app that made ball bearings a thing. After a lot of false starts and dead ends the technique for making balls in bulk was the tech for making marbles. Toy marbles. Just start with small pieces of steel instead of small rocks. It was seventeenth/eighteenth century tech.

Pneumatic tires were completely novel. I want to keep them. All that's needed to make a tire is needle and thread. Oh, and rubber. Which means international trade is needed. Global trade has been a constant since the Bronze Age. It might be nice to try a tire with a casing made from Dacca muslin. From what is known of that fabric it would seem ideal. But the stuff only exists in museums. No one has known how to weave it for about 200 years. Preserving just that sort of knowledge is what Luddism was about.

All the other details that go into current bicycles are just that, details. A derailleur is a series of levers and pivots. Any Luddite mechanic can understand any derailleur. Or at least any mechanical derailleur. Electric derailleurs we won't even think about.

Luddism was always about valuing persons over commerce. Not hostile to nice things. Or more specifically not hostile to nice things made by humans.
Luddism was all about destroying and sabotaging technologies that threatened one's livelihood and way of life. It wasn't an esthetic preference for "nice" handmade things. There's plenty of historical literature about a the changes in roads and city structures necessitated by the widespread adoption of the safety bicycle, and the hostility this was engendering, only to be overshadowed by the introduction of the automobile a short time later. As to whether or not it was considered advanced technology, it is not a coincidence that the Wright Brothers started in the bike business.

We can argue all day about social movements and how they would have felt about technologies that didn't emerge for several decades after the movements died, but it's a pretty silly enterprise.
Old 01-25-20, 07:38 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

We can argue all day about social movements, but it's a pretty silly enterprise.
Ya think? Two things are all but guaranteed in forum threads. Argument and drift away, far away, from any parameters the OP sets or ideals he establishes.

This thread is a shining example. It is clear from the OP in what context the word Luddite was used. Yet, here we are.

I think everything from an abacus to the Hubble telescope computer has been recommended.
Old 01-25-20, 10:29 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Just need basic functions. Time, speed, trip distance, average speed, total distance, ride time. I really appreciate you ringing in, but I am not a watch kind of person at all.
Ya think? Two things are all but guaranteed in forum threads. Argument and drift away, far away, from any parameters the OP sets or ideals he establishes.

This thread is a shining example. It is clear from the OP in what context the word Luddite was used. Yet, here we are.

I think everything from an abacus to the Hubble telescope computer has been recommended.
No, it's not clear. At all.

It took you several replies to say what FUNCTIONS you wanted.

What does the "luddite" NOT want?

Is BlueTooth LE a dealbreaker for you? Coincells?

What?

-mr. bill
Old 01-25-20, 03:34 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Just need basic functions. Time, speed, trip distance, average speed, total distance, ride time.
Maybe Sigma 7.16 or 9.16, wired or wireless?
https://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/fahrrad-computer

I cannot guarantee that it will work for you without problems, I only had a wired bc 16.12 (got it on sale for $30) and a wireless bc 23.16 Sigma computers, no problems with them. Probably sample size is too small.
Old 06-16-20, 12:56 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I ended up getting the Lezyne Macro Easy GPS. I like it just fine. It does everything I need it to do. It feels like a fairly substantial unit. The size is just right. Set up and operation are simple. It allows add on sensors like heart rate and cadence. My only complaint at this point is that the rubber plug for the micro USB port is awkward.
Old 06-16-20, 02:03 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I ended up getting the Lezyne Macro Easy GPS. I like it just fine. It does everything I need it to do. It feels like a fairly substantial unit. The size is just right. Set up and operation are simple. It allows add on sensors like heart rate and cadence. My only complaint at this point is that the rubber plug for the micro USB port is awkward.
Well thank <diety>, after six months you've found something. The suspense was killing - nobody.

As far as the awkward micro USB port cover, yes. ALL micro USB port covers are awkward. Every - single - one. If you don't want an awkard micro USB port cover, you don't want a micro USB port. Something to consider around 2040.

-mr. bill
Old 06-16-20, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Get one of these:

I know, I just pulled the same gag in the other bike computer thread. I just can't believe we need two going at the same time.
Old 06-18-20, 03:45 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Over the years I've had several wired bike computers. I'm still using a couple of them! The CatEye brand was my favorite. The C20 had all the functions that I needed. Since they were all base on wheel size, it was clumsy to swap them bike even if each bike had its own mounting shoe.
A few years ago I picked up a Garmin eTrex LEGEND hand held GPS device designed for hikers, geocaching and other outdoor activities. I bought a handlebar mount for it and found it to be a great bike computer 😎. No cadence or biometrics but just about anything else one might need. Ya, it's a bit on the large side BUT all of the data is very easy to read 😉! I found 3 more bike mounts on clearance at a Gander Mountain "going out of business" sale.
Clearly not something a Luddite might have but admittedly pretty retro 😉.
Old 06-18-20, 06:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Meaning one hand made in a small cottage, by an individual craftsman.. ?
Old 06-18-20, 07:25 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I have a Lezyne Mega XL GPS. Its is a pretty basic GPS. I dont do any sensors or anything. I like to see where I have riden and to check my ascent and descent as well as see my live percent grade. Speed and distance... not much. I also have it set up for my 2 road bike wheel sets and my mountain bike so it's nice I only need one. Probably cheaper than most others but does the job. Also battery life is great, I charge it every 3 or 4 rides.