Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want to buy a sports watch

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I want to buy a sports watch

Old 08-02-19, 07:35 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Buy a Polar heart rate strap download the app and record the ride to your phone and it can automatically upload to Strava. I found that wearing a digital sport watch during riding was pretty much worthless they take two hands to operate and you can barely see the screen in full sun.
Old 08-03-19, 01:10 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Stay away from Withings. I have the Steel HR worked great for the first 6 months now I can't get it to work on all functions. I have contacted their customer support all they keep saying is follow the web instructions. They have no repair facility and won't warranty a software problem. Read the reviews on Amazon, I am not alone.

I am not a happy camper.
Agreed. I had their first watch (analog). The leather band died after 6 months. The watch after 9. They replaced the watch and band, and both were dead in 6 more months.
Old 08-08-19, 08:08 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Another +1 for Garmin VivoActive 3. Not very expensive for an activity watch.
Old 08-09-19, 06:56 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I bought a cheap Chinese smart watch, SN60 plus, for around $35 or so. The watch is great, but the downloadable software leaves a little to be desired. Unfortunately it won't sync with Strava but I can still go into the app and see my heart rate and other vital data. I was hoping it would work in that capacity but I'm not too disappointed it doesn't.
Old 08-09-19, 08:38 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have a 3 year old Fitbit Blaze that works well for what I do. Seems to be accurate with average heart rate over rides. I sync it with a cheap Android phone.

I'm gonna roll with the Blaze until it dies. Versa is the new Fitbit model that replaced the Blaze, AFAIK.
Old 08-10-19, 01:56 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
The watch is great, but the downloadable software leaves a little to be desired.
This was also my experience with an aliexpress GPS sports watch (iwownfit P1). The watch itself was pretty decent and easy to use, but the software was total junk. It also didn't use a .fit file format to include data from heart rate or cadence sensors.

I would strongly suggest a Garmin watch because the software is amazing, and the watches can easily pair up to ANT+ sensors to use in the same way you'd use a head unit. The data just won't be right in front of you all the time, but is exactly the same for post-ride analysis.
Old 08-10-19, 04:26 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
Polar M200 here, pretty happy with it.

Not my arm not my M200....picture for reference.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/fitness-...to-your-wallet

Didn’t Bret Favre say something similar?
Old 08-10-19, 10:22 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I've had a Garmin Vivosmart HR for a around 3 years, and suddenly the battery won't take a charge. The band also broke about the same time. I found bands on Ebay for <$5, but the battery is not replaceable. 😡 I contacted Garmin and was quoted $89 for repair. I only paid $75 for it used from a friend who wasn't using it much. I checked Amazon and found a refurb Vivosmart HR for $59, incl shipping. I've bought refurb cameras before and been happy with them. I was happy with the Vivosmart up to now, so, I'll give it another try. I really prefer my Garmin 810 with HR chest strap for cycling, but the watch is useful for other activities, and does interface to Strava and Garmin Connect as well as My Fittness Pal. I will never understand the products that don't allow reasonable user repair, like battery replacement. Sure glad I didn't buy the $5 band!
Old 08-12-19, 07:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
This was also my experience with an aliexpress GPS sports watch (iwownfit P1). The watch itself was pretty decent and easy to use, but the software was total junk. It also didn't use a .fit file format to include data from heart rate or cadence sensors.
You can tell that not much effort was put into the phone app for this watch, or else it was rushed. And it's also got some "Engrish," or bad translations from Chinese to English. But it works well enough for my purposes.
Old 01-27-20, 12:51 PM
WIshMater

Bikes: Cannondale M300

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you set watch to auto pause? I bought iwownfit P1 yesterday and still haven't figured it out yet.
Old 01-27-20, 09:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have the same question. For me, Sports watch would mean GPS, with pace and average pace (or speed) displayed on the watch in real time, and accurate HR also displayed on the watch in real time. Inexpensive, as compared to a Garmin (any Garmin). If the GPS has to be provided by a phone over bluetooth that's ok - as long as it shows on the watch itself.

The reason I stress "on the watch" and "real time" is that a lot of (or maybe all) of the "fitness watches" that I've shopped say that they provide pace, but when you dig deep enough it's just through the app, and sometimes only after the workout. I'd want it to be a big number, showing on the watch all the time without cycling through someone's idea of a menu tree. The other wish is that I want to see just a number, or two numbers, in as large a font as possible. Not a pretty heart icon that takes up half of the display, that I see on so many of the watches, or the tiny fonts that I'd have to stop and put reading glasses on to see, after cycling to the right menu. I know, it's my own fault for letting my eyes get old but it's still a deal-killer if I can't see the numbers.

Does what I want even exist?
Old 01-28-20, 12:59 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I am new to biking. So this is from someone who has been hiking every weekend
the last few years.

I purchased a Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire for it's long battery life when using GPS.
My other watched died after 14 hours when in GPS tracking mode. I was so bummed
when I was hiking at Yosomite to not get my whole hike recorded.

With that said since I already owned the Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire. I purchased
"Garmin Cadence Sensor 2, Bike Sensor to Monitor Pedaling Cadence" to go with
it.

Now my watch has speed, miles, cadence and all kinds of other things you can down load to
the cloud and your phone to look at later. ( elevatation, map, heart rate).
You can drill down on your phone or your computer to look at more specific data.

Old 01-28-20, 04:34 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
I used to have a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ which worked pretty well but the battery started to die after 2 years. Heart rate tracking was hopeless for cycling - this tends to be a problem with wrist based HR monitors - but since I have an Edge on the bike this wasn't really an issue for me.

I'm sure the Apple watch is great for those with iPhones. If you're an Android user I can recommend the Samsung Galaxy Watch. Battery life is typically 3 days but I find that if I pop it on the charger while I have a shower I can push that out to 5 or 6 days. It's a very nice screen and a very solid steel body.
Old 01-28-20, 10:39 AM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Garmin Foreunner 35

I have Garmin Foreunner 35. It cost me about $150, but I have seen them recently for around $100. It couldn't be simpler to use and has enough functionality for me. Uploads easily to Strava and the battery last at least through 14 hours of tracking and a week just on your wrist. Very happy with it.

Joe R
Old 02-01-20, 10:50 PM
Nick 93

Bikes: 2007 Novara Randonee, 2020 Cannondale Optima Claris, 1993 Raleigh RT500

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you are looking for something cheap that works well look at the amazfit bip. It's about $80 and does everything that most $120-$150 watches do. Definitely worth looking into.
Old 02-01-20, 10:53 PM
Nick 93

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I have the same question. For me, Sports watch would mean GPS, with pace and average pace (or speed) displayed on the watch in real time, and accurate HR also displayed on the watch in real time. Inexpensive, as compared to a Garmin (any Garmin). If the GPS has to be provided by a phone over bluetooth that's ok - as long as it shows on the watch itself.

The reason I stress "on the watch" and "real time" is that a lot of (or maybe all) of the "fitness watches" that I've shopped say that they provide pace, but when you dig deep enough it's just through the app, and sometimes only after the workout. I'd want it to be a big number, showing on the watch all the time without cycling through someone's idea of a menu tree. The other wish is that I want to see just a number, or two numbers, in as large a font as possible. Not a pretty heart icon that takes up half of the display, that I see on so many of the watches, or the tiny fonts that I'd have to stop and put reading glasses on to see, after cycling to the right menu. I know, it's my own fault for letting my eyes get old but it's still a deal-killer if I can't see the numbers.

Does what I want even exist?
I forgot to read the second page of posts but check out the amazfit bip. I've been using it and it sounds like something you might like.
Old 02-02-20, 06:04 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Nick 93
I forgot to read the second page of posts but check out the amazfit bip. I've been using it and it sounds like something you might like.
It looks better than the cheap fitness watches for sure. HR pretty accurate, say +/- 10 bpm? Is it convenient to swipe from HR to Pace screens?
Old 02-02-20, 06:21 PM
Nick 93

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
It looks better than the cheap fitness watches for sure. HR pretty accurate, say +/- 10 bpm? Is it convenient to swipe from HR to Pace screens?
HR is fairly accurate from what I've seen. While exercising the main screen shows pace, time since starting activity, HR, and miles traveled. Swipe down once and you get elevation changes and a few other things I don't use much. Also the app (amazfit) is pretty nice and syncs with Strava if you use that. So far I really like it.
Likes For Nick 93:
Old 02-03-20, 05:20 PM
Jamie1978

Bikes: FUJI Roubiax

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a fan of garmin. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 235 and 645 music. I bought the 645 brand new for right at $400 but the 235 I found in excellent shape on eBay for $160. That's was a few years ago, you can probably find one cheaper than that now. Both are excellent watches that link to Strava and numerous other apps

Both of these allow you to set the screen to whatever you want to see while working out, pace, speed, HR, distance,elevation all in pretty big font. You can also use either of them as just a Heart monitor with some of the bike computers.

Last edited by Jamie1978; 02-03-20 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 07:15 AM
wphamilton

To revisit this, although I was going to buy the Amazfit Bip on Nick's recommendation my wife bought me a Fitbit Versa 2 for Valentine's day. Much more pricey than I was going for, but I have to say it does everything I wanted and then some that I didn't know I wanted.
Old 02-21-20, 10:32 AM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
I have a Samsung, and I don't recommend it.

The Samsung watch works with my Samsung (Android) phone. I can answer calls through the watch, which makes it very convenient and is the only reason I have stuck with it.

The Samsung watch has several exercise modes including swimming. I swim laps every weekday morning, and the watch is able to count laps, which is a great feature.

One day after swimming, the watch was dead. I called Samsung and was told the watch was still under warranty and I should send it in. A few days after sending it in, I received an e-mail stating that the watch was damaged by water intrusion, which is not covered by the warranty.

A SAMSUNG SPORTS WATCH WITH A SWIM MODE HAS A WARRANTY THAT DOES NOT COVER DAMAGE DUE TO WATER INTRUSION!!!

The e-mail from Samsung quoted a price to repair the watch that was more than the cost of a new watch. After fuming over this for a few days, I bought another Samsung. I decided the ability to answer my phone through the watch was worth more than the ability to record my swims.

If I have any more problems with this watch, I'll switch to Garmin or Polar.
Old 02-28-20, 03:12 AM
Morg33

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Hello, I have an Apple watch, I am very happy about it. If you are an Apple person it's just perfect for you. I got very lucky anyway, I won this watches on a site for a very cheap price, if you want to give a try here is the site https://www.lootie.com/. Wish you the best luck!

Last edited by Morg33; 02-28-20 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-28-20, 11:29 AM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Relatively new Apple Watch series 3 user. At $200 I am very pleased. I wanted the integration it offers with the iPhone. Syncs heart rate to Strava and Zwift.
Old 02-28-20, 11:09 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Garmin Instinct great so far

Old 02-29-20, 11:14 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have a Garmin Forerunner 235. Does everything I want it to. Battery life has been great. I track a lot of my workouts in Garmin, so the interaction with Garmin Connect was a bonus for me too.