Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

smartphone (dry bag) plus crossbars what are my options?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 08:38 AM
Drwecki

Bikes: Tease Fixed Gear, Schwinn World Traveler 72, 60's Hawthorne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm new to the touring game....but I've done a few tours (bike camping).

I just bought an HTC thunderbolt (smartphone) and I love it (it has two GPS program that work in airplane mode), and I want to use it on my tours. The only problem I'm having is figuring out how to mount it. I have cross interrupter bars on my bike (and I love them). I guess I have two options buy a handlebar bag with a map pouch and shove the phone in there..I assume map pouches are waterproof or find a decent way to mount it to my bike...which is an 198? cannondale touring bike..

then I find this

https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/iphone_drybag

and want it but my phone is too big.

So what are my questions specifically.

1) Does anyone know of a similar mounting system for gps' smart phones etc.. or how do you mount your smartphone to your bike?

2) I've never owned a handlebar bag before. is the map pouch big enough to slip a phone in? is the map pouch generally water proof? What type of mounting works best with cross bars (which I must have because I like to stretch out my back a lot while riding).
Old 03-31-11, 10:30 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a RAM mount system I use with a handheld VHF/UHF ham radio and tested the universal belt clip holder RAM-HOL-BC1U with my HTC Incredible. The mount relies on the radio belt-clip (not same as a cell phone button/belt clip) to keep the radio on the mount. It worked OK for the phone, although I would want something with more positive retention of the phone and weather protection if I was going to use it regularly. RAM-HOL-UN7U isn't due out for another month+ but looks very interesting and better for a phone device. RAM-HOL-UN4U also looks promising. RAP-304U looks like it is designed to work with a belt clip button and might be good enough - I'd be very careful about vibration, however.

Their bicycle handlebar mount RAP-274-1U works pretty well as long as you are not trying to hold anything much bigger than a phone or handheld radio. www.ram-mount.com. I bought my stuff from gpscity.com