Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New and Improved Giant DEFY3..I think..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 10:01 AM
vikz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well hello folks! finally did a major upgrade on my DEFY3 yesterday, i replaced my wheelset to Mavic Open pro sport with 105 hubs!. haven't try her yet but I will as soon I finish having breakfast today..here she is..official weight is 21.11lbs..you guys think i did ok? i got the wheels set brand new for $250..The stock wheels was alexrims DA22.. So now I have a complete 105 groupings..

Last edited by vikz; 09-19-13 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-19-13, 11:50 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Giant Defy Advanced with the same paint scheme. I replaced the stock wheels with 32-spoke OPs with Ultegra hubs and it sure helped. Even dropped a few grams.

The stock rims were Mavic 21s with reduced spoke counts. The braking was horrible and I'd sometimes get high speed wobble. The OP rims were immediately better with braking and the wobble went away probably due to my 210 lb weight needing the support of more spokes.
Old 09-19-13, 12:47 PM
vikz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just did my usual 3 mile climb and I can feel the difference, a lot smoother rolling of the wheels specially the descent! oh man that was nice..Did not break my PR on Strava but I think it more of me than the bike, I feel a little sluggish riding today for some reason..
Old 09-19-13, 04:36 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice wheels and great looking bike mate.

cheers
Old 09-19-13, 05:18 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had that same bike. Same colors too. My aftermarket wheels were even similar... 'cept mine were Mavic CXP-33 rims on Dura Ace hubs. We might've even got our bikes about the same time if your registration date here is any indication.

If I may offer some unsolicited advice though: if you're comfortable with the length and angle you have your stem... you might wanna replace it with a solid one instead of the stock adjustable stem. You'll drop a few grams off the bike and the bars will feel much more stable.

Happy trails!
Old 09-20-13, 01:41 AM
vikz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mega Tom I might look into that, any suggestions on which one should I buy??
Old 09-20-13, 07:29 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vikz
Mega Tom I might look into that, any suggestions on which one should I buy??
Not really. They all do the same thing but get lighter as they get more expensive. Most bike shops have a ton of 'em in all sizes/angles for cheap from bike take-offs.
Old 09-20-13, 03:35 PM
Long Tom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
I had that same bike. Same colors too. My aftermarket wheels were even similar... 'cept mine were Mavic CXP-33 rims on Dura Ace hubs. We might've even got our bikes about the same time if your registration date here is any indication.

If I may offer some unsolicited advice though: if you're comfortable with the length and angle you have your stem... you might wanna replace it with a solid one instead of the stock adjustable stem. You'll drop a few grams off the bike and the bars will feel much more stable.

Happy trails!
MegaTom. Mega, eh?!

I feel so..... inadequate.
Old 09-21-13, 02:04 AM
vikz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at a shorter stem today and I think I might try it,I think it will make my riding position more upright which may help..maybe..I know its all about comfort but what do you guys experience the difference from changing to a shorter stem??.
Originally Posted by MegaTom
Not really. They all do the same thing but get lighter as they get more expensive. Most bike shops have a ton of 'em in all sizes/angles for cheap from bike take-offs.
Old 09-22-13, 11:14 PM
vikz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a shorter stem yesterday, I went from 110 to 90 and I am really surprise on how such small adjustment can make a lot of difference, I have ridden just 10 miles so far, but 6 miles of that is my usual segment in Strava, its 3 miles of all uphill and i can feel the difference when I'm off the saddle, its more comfortable to me and the descent feels more stable and I can tuck-in more comfortably..so for now my DEFY3 is done on upgrades..replaced whole groupings to 105's, replaced the wheel set to Mavic Open pro, new origin8 stem, my tires i just replaced not too long ago, for now its good..it probably weighs in the ball park of 21 lbs or less that adjustable stem was heavy!.Anyway I'm happy now that I have a "new bike" that fits me nicely..

Old 09-23-13, 02:19 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Only other glaring upgrade I would advise is pedal, why not get 105's too?
While you're @ it get some matching bottles cages too.

My Defy is similar, mine is white/black/grey,full Dura Ace, Mavic Ksyrium SL's.
I got mine @ around 17lbs.
Old 09-23-13, 03:38 PM
vikz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nah! I'm good with what I have I have clip ons i just don't use it..mine probably weighs at least still 21 lbs but I also weigh 145lbs or so..just have to ride more..and yes I think complete 105's groupo is GREAT specially if that's all I want and can afford , good for you on your dura ace you are probably fast huh?..
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
Only other glaring upgrade I would advise is pedal, why not get 105's too?
While you're @ it get some matching bottles cages too.

My Defy is similar, mine is white/black/grey,full Dura Ace, Mavic Ksyrium SL's.
I got mine @ around 17lbs.
Old 09-23-13, 03:48 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My riding weight this time of year is usually 145lbs, only got down to 151lbs this year while rehabbing injuries.
So we should be about the same speed.
(Joking)
I used to be faster before my injuries.
Losing 20lbs in 3 months gets harder every year, have to be more disciplined during Thanksgiving, & Xmas.