Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike time: Pinarello vs Cervelo vs Specialized

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-12-13, 05:38 AM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, here is my short list for a road bike that ill do mostly solo/small group rides on, averaging around 150km/ week. Terrain is a mix of rolling coast road and hilly hinterland. Im large (6'2") although reasonably fit. I know they're not that similar but they're on my list nevertheless.

Cervelo R3
Specialized Roubaix
Pinarello FPquattro

Ignoring group sets & wheels (all of which can be changed anyway), I'd appreciate thoughts from anyone who's owned one or more of these. I've trawled this and other forums, read what I could but thought I'd ask my own questions anyway.

All helpful advice appreciated.
Old 04-12-13, 08:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I love my R3. When I push down on the pedal, the thing leaps forward like a bat out of hell. Feels stable as a tank on a descent, climbs well, and it's very light and nimble. Not quite as comfortable as an RS, but more sporty.

Oh, and you steer it by looking where you want to go, it feels like the bike reads your mind.
Old 04-12-13, 08:50 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
considered some others like Orbea or Willier or Bianchi? kinda nice to have the option of going off-the-mainstream a little. if they fit you, of course.

edit - not that I dislike either of the ones in your OP, just seems that if you're talking about what appears to be higher end stuff maybe there are others in your wheelhouse so to speak.

Last edited by bonz50; 04-12-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 09:07 AM
Canadian_giant

Bikes: 1995 Giant Yukon, 2012 Giant TCR Comp 1, 2014 Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant (I'm biased)
Old 04-12-13, 09:28 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Pinarello. But go for a Colnago.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-12-13, 09:45 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
I would get either the Cervelo or the Specialized. I've heard nothing but good things on both. The Pinarello is okay but it's a tank by weight comparison and is close to a lb more than the Cervelo.
Old 04-12-13, 03:50 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Roubaix or R3

id say Roubaix for the warranty alone. Specialized rocks rhe best warranty hands down.

R3 wont be that common...
Old 04-12-13, 03:59 PM
Lazy Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I get an Audi, BMW or Mercedes?
Old 04-12-13, 04:07 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
nice!
Old 04-12-13, 04:13 PM
Ferrarif2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had an RS and loved it, had an issue with the seat tube and cervelo's warranty service was awesome! I opted to upgrade, for a small fee, to the R3 team and had the frame within a week. Very quick service so don't worry about any potential warranty headaches if you should happen to have an issue.

I will say I was concerned that going to the R3 I would lose the comfort that I enjoyed on the RS. I can say after logging almost 8k miles in about 10 months, including a few 100+ mile rides, it has the comfort of the RS but is so much better when climbing or sprinting, it's just waiting for you to attack and when you do it just goes! I noticed how much more responsive it was within about 30ft if riding it for the first time lol

If I had to do it again I'd go with Cervelo, no questions!
Old 04-12-13, 04:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
1) Whichever fits you best.
2) Whichever shop gives the best service.
Old 04-12-13, 04:22 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what bikes are in your stable now? that would influence what I would buy.
Old 04-12-13, 04:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by echotraveler
Roubaix or R3

id say Roubaix for the warranty alone. Specialized rocks rhe best warranty hands down.

R3 wont be that common...
Why? A small crack appeared in my Cervelo, they replaced the frame without questions, and let me choose which frame I wanted sent back to me. The cloud had a silver lining, I paid a small price to upgrade from an RS to an R3.
Old 04-12-13, 04:33 PM
Ferrarif2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Why? A small crack appeared in my Cervelo, they replaced the frame without questions, and let me choose which frame I wanted sent back to me. The cloud had a silver lining, I paid a small price to upgrade from an RS to an R3.
That's basically exactly what happened to me lol
Old 04-12-13, 05:52 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
+1
Old 04-12-13, 06:02 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Bikes: Linus Roadster 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colnago C59
Old 04-12-13, 06:28 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The New Roubaix SL4 Frame Is unreal. Fast, Nimble, and Great great ride. Im a Fan of the R3, Infact own a Tarmac, Roubaix and R3. R3 Just got Handed down though to my Brother In Law.

So my Vote is Roubaix SL4 Sweet Bike, and perfect timing, Spring Classics Sale puts the Roubaix Expert at 3300! I pulled the trigger.
Old 04-12-13, 07:02 PM
Adrianinkc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for SL4 roubaix.
Old 04-13-13, 12:02 AM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm still not sure what to do but this helps. I know the Pina is heavy-ish but I'm not that fussed about it if it fits & feels right. I actually don't have any other road bikes in the shed right now. Just sold a Cervelo S5, looking to go to a more trad road bike (the S5 was to cover for the occasional triathlon) and probably not invest quite so much. What ever I get will probably end up with some level of customising (seat, wheels, bars etc) so its really the frame and experience with that I'm looking for. Agree that working with a good shop is paramount and I have several to choose from who are good with each of these bike companies. I'll either be buying new from a shop or used via internet from private seller.

again - thanks.
Old 04-13-13, 12:26 AM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 900aero
Thanks guys. I'm still not sure what to do but this helps. I know the Pina is heavy-ish but I'm not that fussed about it if it fits & feels right. I actually don't have any other road bikes in the shed right now. Just sold a Cervelo S5, looking to go to a more trad road bike (the S5 was to cover for the occasional triathlon) and probably not invest quite so much. What ever I get will probably end up with some level of customising (seat, wheels, bars etc) so its really the frame and experience with that I'm looking for. Agree that working with a good shop is paramount and I have several to choose from who are good with each of these bike companies. I'll either be buying new from a shop or used via internet from private seller.

again - thanks.
I'd get a R3. The Pinarello is way heavier and IMO doesn't feel any better. The only other bike in the range that I'd consider is a Felt F series.
Old 04-13-13, 05:01 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
The New Roubaix SL4 Frame Is unreal. Fast, Nimble, and Great great ride. Im a Fan of the R3, Infact own a Tarmac, Roubaix and R3. R3 Just got Handed down though to my Brother In Law.

So my Vote is Roubaix SL4 Sweet Bike, and perfect timing, Spring Classics Sale puts the Roubaix Expert at 3300! I pulled the trigger.
My vote is the Roubaix SL4 also. Why? Because I have a Roubaix SL3 and its the best bike I have ever owned...amazing bike with perfect balance of uber stiffness and yet unusual muting of poor road conditions. The bike has no hashness and yet has great energy transfer...a hard balance to achieve.
Word is...the SL4 is even better and not sure how they did this.

I considered the R3 OP...and like it and could ride one. Roubaix has a slightly taller head tube. I am not much of a fan of Cervelo's constant sta throughout their frame sizing. I believe Cervelo discontinued the RS which was their version of the Roubaix. The R3 has a slightly higher mod lay up I believe. I just believe the Roubaix has a better ride and the same snappy accleration.

As to Pinarello. I am of the mind that the Italian heritage and cache do not transfer to carbon fiber bikes. This is only my opinion based up my riding experience. I don't believe the undeniable old world craftsmanship it takes to make a steel bike is the same as the tech it takes to make carbon fiber.
I believe companies like Look, Specialized, Cervelo, Trek, Giant and maybe even Cannondale have the best carbon fiber technology...Look was one of the innovators of CF and came forward with many of the advances today in varying lay up and differentiated section shape to create targeted flex throughout the frame. To me Specialized leads the field in overall R&D today.

All said, there are no losers in your choices OP. If I were you, I would partly base your decision on geometry. But before you decide, take a Roubaix SL4 down a rough road hammering at 25mph and then the others.

darb...you mention you are handing down your R3. Can you comment on your earlier observations of the R3 versus SL4?

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-13-13 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-13-13, 05:30 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Easy question.
Whatever one yells "Come ride me" the loudest at you.
Old 04-13-13, 07:32 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by justkeepedaling
I'd get a R3. The Pinarello is way heavier and IMO doesn't feel any better. The only other bike in the range that I'd consider is a Felt F series.
Yes on the Pinarello weight. I thought about one and was shocked at the actual frame weight. Pinarello published weight doesn't include paint, bottom bracket shell, bosses for water cages, etc. the actual weight gets close to 300 grams more. So when you compare to Cervello and Specaialized, there's almost a full pound difference. Add in their proprietary fork with extra weight, and the difference is huge.
Old 04-13-13, 08:11 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sorta in the same problem, going from racing geometry bikes (4 of them) to a more relaxed geometry comfort bike. Choices are the Roubaix SL4 or the Giant Defy Advanced 1 maybe throw in a Felt Z3.
Will probably get the Roubaix due to so many + reviews.
Good Luck to you................I would go with the Specialized R SL4
Old 04-13-13, 11:45 AM
yochris 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just bought an R3 a couple months ago and absolutely love it. It rides like a dream and descends and corners like it's on rails.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.