Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle Bag Alternatives

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle Bag Alternatives

Old 07-15-19, 08:31 AM
LawSchweiin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Saddle Bag Alternatives

Hi all,

I am a relative newbie to the Southern California riding scene (moved from much cooler, wetter Germany)! I've always hated saddle bags as I think they have no place on a proper road bike. In Germany I used to carry my spare tube and tools in a tool keg, but I find myself running short on water here in the California sunshine with just one bottle (or in this case in NY for a few weeks on temp assignment - it's humid here!). So I'm looking for alternatives to the saddle bag and tool keg. I found the products listed below. Does anyone have any experience with them?

SmrT Hydration Cargo
SmrtHydration
The above seems like a good solution, but I don't think it's available yet.

Piggy Storage
https://www.76projects.com/shop/thepiggy
This gets the job done, but a little unsightly (one of my chief qualms with the saddle bag).
Old 07-15-19, 09:13 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
I don't get your problem with saddle bags. When I'm on the bike, I can't even see it.😉

I have 3 bags from these guys. They have several shapes, sizes and can be mounted in various locations. Check out the "Sale items".

https://www.jandd.com/bikes.asp

This is their medium size bag. Maybe a small would have been enough.
Old 07-15-19, 09:33 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Uber?
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-15-19, 10:57 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Right now in SOCAL the trend is seat roll saddlebags such as the Silca Premio
Old 07-15-19, 12:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by LawSchweiin
I've always hated saddle bags as I think they have no place on a proper road bike.
You could just change your mind, decide not to hate them.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-15-19, 01:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Lezyne Road Caddy under-seat bag. It's barely noticeable. No wobble or waggle. But it's very minimal. I can't squeeze in a CO2 cartridge and Planet Bike Red Zeppelin inflator, alongside a Conti race light tube, tire lever, flat multitool and Lezyne's flat self-sticking patch kit in an envelope pouch. So I still carry a mini-pump and/or CO2 inflator in my jersey pocket.

Arundel bags are similar and a little larger, enough to hold CO2 kits. I haven't used one but a friend has one and it doesn't appear to wobble around. I know he didn't like the Serfas Speed Bag, which I use on two bikes. The Arundel Dual and Tubi bags are intended to mount sideways so they're more visible than the minimalist Lezyne Road Caddy.

There's also the Lezyne Flow Storage Cage, a water bottle cage with a small hidden compartment and straps to hold a couple of CO2 cartridges, exposed and visible. It's listed at $60 retail on Lezyne's site, but available for $20 from Amazon. Probably won't suit some minimalists who don't want visible doodads. But possibly handy for those of us who don't have support vehicles accompanying us on rides.
Old 07-15-19, 02:13 PM
LawSchweiin

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvo
Right now in SOCAL the trend is seat roll saddlebags such as the Silca Premio
I tried the Silca Premio, but it was highly problematic. The Boa would hold tight, but the roll would flip backwards around the boa and in some cases the contents would start dropped out. I also had a Lezyne once that ruined a pair of bib shorts. Best saddle bag I had was an Ortlieb, and it looks fine on my commuter, but has no place on my optimized road bike.
Old 07-16-19, 02:32 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I tried the Silca Premio, but it was highly problematic. The Boa would hold tight, but the roll would flip backwards around the boa and in some cases the contents would start dropped out. I also had a Lezyne once that ruined a pair of bib shorts. Best saddle bag I had was an Ortlieb, and it looks fine on my commuter, but has no place on my optimized road bike.
Not sure how optimized your road bike actually is if you can’t figure out how to carry more than one bottle of water
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-16-19, 03:41 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
You could just change your mind, decide not to hate them.
Exactly. This gets right to the heart of the issue, which is the OP's irrational insistence that saddle bags have no place on a "proper" road bike (which presents another question: Whether or not any of us are riding on "improper" road bikes !! )
A saddlebag is simply a tool, brought to us by the proverbial Mother Of Invention (necessity), and is no more out of place on a bike, than pockets are out of place on blue jeans, or a glove box is out of place in an automobile, or an overhead bin is out of place on an airliner, or drawers,closets,attics and basements are out of place in our homes, etc.etc and so on, and so on.
Anyway, the OP could try one of those triangle-shaped frame bags. I have one on my mtn bike, and really like it. Not sure if the OP finds these an abomination,too, but they hold a lot of stuff, securely, and closer to the center of gravity.
Something like these.....
(I may pull the trigger on this one, myself !)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8QKMHP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07K8QKMHP&pd_rd_w=s9k0u&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=QLL82&pf_rd_r=EY5Q39HRW637ASHZSM50&pd_rd_r=b890db91-a7ae-11e9-bd3f-4b85b1506dc1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725RVWPQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0725RVWPQ&pd_rd_w=cidGa&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=v14NU&pf_rd_r=DFMT202DVDEGKCSF01Z8&pd_rd_r=a6114ade-a7ae-11e9-8424-2dbce0cc0929

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-16-19 at 04:01 AM.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 07-16-19, 05:02 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=4893
Old 07-16-19, 06:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Would a hydration backpack work? They are making fairly minimalist models these days.
Old 07-16-19, 06:33 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Wolftooth B-RAD + your bag of choice.

...unless you're on a tiny frame. Can't help you there.
Old 07-16-19, 08:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I am a relative newbie to the Southern California riding scene (moved from much cooler, wetter Germany)! I've always hated saddle bags as I think they have no place on a proper road bike. In Germany I used to carry my spare tube and tools in a tool keg, but I find myself running short on water here in the California sunshine with just one bottle (or in this case in NY for a few weeks on temp assignment - it's humid here!). So I'm looking for alternatives to the saddle bag and tool keg.
If a wedge bag has no place on a proper road bike, then a tool keg definitely has no place on a proper road bike.
Either way- if you dont want to have a convenient place to carry stuff while also carrying enough water to stay hydrated, then just carry the tube and multi-tool in your jersey pocket. Thats what 'real' roadies do anyways, so drop the janky tool keg and be real!

...or just buy a wedge bag and dont look at it while riding.
Old 07-16-19, 08:59 AM
LawSchweiin

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Wow, some of you are a cranky bunch. I explained I've had some bad experiences with saddle bags, and I was looking for alternatives (thank you for those who suggested such). I also saddle bags look ugly - I work hard to build my bikes exactly the way I want them with premium components. I think a velcroed satchel hanging off the back doesn't fit the aesthetic. So what? So you guys criticize me for my opinion? It seems unnecessary. You could just ignore the post.
Old 07-16-19, 09:15 AM
downhillmaster

Wow, some of you are a cranky bunch. I explained I've had some bad experiences with saddle bags, and I was looking for alternatives (thank you for those who suggested such). I also saddle bags look ugly - I work hard to build my bikes exactly the way I want them with premium components. I think a velcroed satchel hanging off the back doesn't fit the aesthetic. So what? So you guys criticize me for my opinion? It seems unnecessary. You could just ignore the post.
There is nothing wrong with a bit of criticism. Everything is not Unicorns and rainbows.
FYI, satchels/bags have been hanging off the back of road bikes for a hundred years so not sure how you can say it does not fit the aesthetic. You could have ofc said it does not fit your personal tastes but you didn’t.
You actually stated you think ‘they have no place on a proper road bike’
That is silly and a bit contentious.
Hence the discussion
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-16-19, 09:22 AM
LawSchweiin

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Not sure how optimized your road bike actually is if you can’t figure out how to carry more than one bottle of water
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Exactly. This gets right to the heart of the issue, which is the OP's irrational insistence that saddle bags have no place on a "proper" road bike (which presents another question: Whether or not any of us are riding on "improper" road bikes !! )
A saddlebag is simply a tool, brought to us by the proverbial Mother Of Invention (necessity), and is no more out of place on a bike, than pockets are out of place on blue jeans, or a glove box is out of place in an automobile, or an overhead bin is out of place on an airliner, or drawers,closets,attics and basements are out of place in our homes, etc.etc and so on, and so on.
Anyway, the OP could try one of those triangle-shaped frame bags. I have one on my mtn bike, and really like it. Not sure if the OP finds these an abomination,too, but they hold a lot of stuff, securely, and closer to the center of gravity.
Something like these.....
(I may pull the trigger on this one, myself !)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8QKMHP...f-4b85b1506dc1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725RVWPQ...4-2dbce0cc0929
There is nothing wrong with a bit of criticism. Everything is not Unicorns and rainbows.
FYI, satchels/bags have been hanging off the back of road bikes for a hundred years so not sure how you can say it does not fit the aesthetic. You could have ofc said it does not fit your personal tastes but you didn’t.
You actually stated you think ‘they have no place on a proper road bike’
That is silly and a bit contentious.
Hence the discussion
I did not mean to be contentious. Perhaps my language was off, for which I apologize. I did not mean to offend. I was hoping for more of a discussion about saddle bag alternatives than the validity of saddle bags.
Likes For LawSchweiin:
Old 07-16-19, 09:40 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
I did not mean to be contentious. Perhaps my language was off, for which I apologize. I did not mean to offend. I was hoping for more of a discussion about saddle bag alternatives than the validity of saddle bags.
Fair enough, the tone of my response was probably unnecessarily prickly as well. No worries, we're cool.
Old 07-16-19, 09:45 AM
downhillmaster

All good
Old 07-16-19, 09:48 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
There could be a saddle bag designed to look like a folded tubular tire- that would look proper...

I don't like the look of a tool keg & especially a lump of stuff below the water bottle.

Water bottle cages are for water bottles.

For a clean aesthetic there should not be something that draws a double-take e.g. Is that a water bottle or something else?

All the cool kids in Socal just put their CO2 & credit card in their jersey pocket, don't they?
Old 07-16-19, 10:04 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
+1 for the B-RAD setup from Wolftooth, works great. (altho, the bag is now back under the saddle, as much as I don't like it there, because I've been doing TTs with this bike and it's too much trouble removing the whole setup, so I leave it on the saddle and then I only have to take the cage off).

My gravel bike has a mount under the downtube, perfect for a canister, wish every bike had that.

Old 07-19-19, 11:27 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use the cheapest 10 liter Amazon backpack with the straps superglued with gorilla tape , I use Iceland lava water bottles I can fit 3 or 4 in back they stack perfect and I run one water bottle , I also have a flat kit and tube elasticed together phone and money in the front zip pocket and food bars on top , it's bulky with 4 liters of water but it gets lighter as the ride goes on some times I have to stop and refill on the 90 degree days
Old 07-19-19, 11:34 PM
BreezeLady

Bikes: 1966 Breeze 3 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of the two products you posted in your question, I'd pick the SmrT Hydration Cargo. Given the temps in S.Cal. you might add a second water rack for a full size water bottle. We did that in Europe - one for wine and the second for water - and it didn't interfere with the ride at all, aside from the fact we dehydrated on wine as much as we hydrated with the water! I think the piggy looks less secure. Good riding!
Old 07-19-19, 11:36 PM
BreezeLady

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could also have one water rack strictly for gear and a second for water bottle. The gear container would just need to be some streamlined container of the right circumference. Just a thought.
Old 07-19-19, 11:38 PM
BreezeLady

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why so harsh?

This reply seems a bit harsh to a civil question.
Likes For BreezeLady:
Old 07-21-19, 05:15 PM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about a frame bag?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.