Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Concept of lefty forks on touring bikes?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 11-11-19, 11:10 PM
Aznman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quick opinions survey of the day: is the lefty fork pretty much antithetical to the very concept of the touring bike frame (abundance of possible rack/pannier placements being the primary concern)?
Old 11-11-19, 11:35 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If you can somehow attach a low-rider to it, you could have one huge front left pannier, which woudl greatly facilitate counter-clockwise touring.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-11-19, 11:45 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
guess it all depends on your style of touring.

wouldn't work for me to have no spare parts availability and be restricted to proprietary headsets and bearings and hubs and brakes.

there'd gotta be some impressive advantages to having a lefty to justify the price and limitations.

does it actually solve any problems encountered by the average tourist?
Old 11-12-19, 08:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Meh. I don't see any huge pluses or minuses for my style of touring. Do you have a particular reason to go that route? If you want to run front panniers it is probably a no go. You can run bar bag, bar rolls, and so on just fine. I am sure the setup is plenty reliable enough. Parts availability? If you are that worried have spare parts at home ready to be mailed/shipped to you in a pinch. If it is what you have and what to use it to tour, why not? If you are choosing a new setup to tour on, why?
Old 11-12-19, 08:44 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

I've never ridden a bike with a Lefty (yet anyways), so no real opinion on that. Other than a lack of mounting options, as already mentioned, but that might not matter. 🤔

Here's my new-to-me Killer V, which not only works out great for riding various terrain, but it's also far easier to mount. 👍

The only drawback, it has a 1 1/4" headset, which is a little unusual, but shouldn't be too big of an issue. Kinda like your Lefty. 🙂

Good luck.
Old 11-12-19, 05:02 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
A solution in search of a problem, and that's all I'm gonna say about that.
Likes For robow:
Old 11-12-19, 07:27 PM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
A Lefty fork does have a place for certain mtb builds as they are lighter than traditional suspension forks but that would be a stretch of a reason for a touring build where weight isn't such a critical factor. I tour without front saddle bags but even still wouldn't see a need for an expensive design like that ordinarily. Where I might see a desire is for a fast, lightweight, off road bike packing capable bike with suspension - ie. gravel bike with suspension. Fairly niche.
Old 11-12-19, 09:06 PM
Aznman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Meh. I don't see any huge pluses or minuses for my style of touring. Do you have a particular reason to go that route? If you want to run front panniers it is probably a no go. You can run bar bag, bar rolls, and so on just fine. I am sure the setup is plenty reliable enough. Parts availability? If you are that worried have spare parts at home ready to be mailed/shipped to you in a pinch. If it is what you have and what to use it to tour, why not? If you are choosing a new setup to tour on, why?
Hey staehpj. No, I am not looking for a lefty touring bike right now. I was just wanting to know the thoughts of those in the touring domain on lefty bicycles.
Old 11-13-19, 08:17 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznman
Quick opinions survey of the day: is the lefty fork pretty much antithetical to the very concept of the touring bike frame (abundance of possible rack/pannier placements being the primary concern)?
Where there's a will, there's a way. This cat's touring on his lefty fork bike:

Old 11-13-19, 08:22 AM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
A Lefty fork does have a place for certain mtb builds as they are lighter than traditional suspension forks.....
i read that yes, the fork itself is lighter, but with the heavier bearings and the beefier headset/tube and crown, along with the honking massive hub, that it's actually a wash weight-wise.
Old 11-13-19, 09:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznman
For off-road bikepacking, it would be fine with one caveat. Bikepacking tends to be front heavy. That extra load is going to put stress on an axle that is only one sided. The possibility exists of damaging the axle. I'm not saying that it would but the possibility exists.

For regular road touring with panniers, you've already addressed its limitation.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-14-19, 07:59 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have had a Cdale with Lefty and it is one heck of a sus fork. The best I have used for performance riding. Precise, small bump sensitive, and very smooth operating. Virtually no stiction at all. As for touring, it is overkill. Currently there is no good way to attach a front rack to it.

Addressing the hub and axle, I have yet to see one fail. Considering autos have their axles supported on one side, motorcycles have single sided swing arms supporting the rear axle on one side, and formula race cars the same, there is little chance of a failure of the Lefty axle.

Disclaimer, I have been working in a Cdale shop for the past 3 years. Before that it was 30 years in a Specialized shop. Have seen a lot of fork failures, almost all of them, at least 99%, due to lack of maintenance or really, really big hits.
Old 11-14-19, 11:28 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I’d like to see a drop-bar suspension touring bike, if I had money to blow I’d ask custom builders if they’d make one.

Heavier by .5 to 1 kg but narrower lighter tires would negate some of that & higher tire pressure would give lower rolling resistance.

No front rack mounts but perhaps a builder could weld rack mounts to the fork or make a custom rack

Overkill for road touring on smooth roads but much more comfort & some increased safety & speed on the rough roads, bumpy sidewalks or trails that one might commonly encounter.
Old 11-15-19, 05:14 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I’d like to see a drop-bar suspension touring bike, if I had money to blow I’d ask custom builders if they’d make one.

Heavier by .5 to 1 kg but narrower lighter tires would negate some of that & higher tire pressure would give lower rolling resistance.

No front rack mounts but perhaps a builder could weld rack mounts to the fork or make a custom rack

Overkill for road touring on smooth roads but much more comfort & some increased safety & speed on the rough roads, bumpy sidewalks or trails that one might commonly encounter.
Why not just put drop bars on one and related components on one? People have been doing that with with MTBs for years.

Cheers
Old 11-15-19, 10:58 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Why not just put drop bars on one and related components on one? People have been doing that with with MTBs for years.

Cheers
You mean like a hybrid or German trekking bike? I've tried drop bars on a MTB & the handling is not ideal esp for those who like a more aero position. Also there's no suspension forks with rack mounts AFAIK A bit ironic considering some carbon forks have rack mounts.
Old 11-15-19, 11:38 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
... Also there's no suspension forks with rack mounts AFAIK A bit ironic considering some carbon forks have rack mounts.
you can add a front rack to a suspension fork, either to the brake studs or with clamps. this one gots lowrider mounts and a platform.

https://www.amazon.com/Minoura-MT-40.../dp/B00FHV0Q92
Old 11-17-19, 01:02 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
you can add a front rack to a suspension fork, either to the brake studs or with clamps. this one gots lowrider mounts and a platform.

I can’t think of a good suspension fork that has brake studs on it. I can’t really think of too many bad ones that have them. This is the age of disc brakes, remember.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-17-19, 02:02 AM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by cyccommute
.... This is the age of disc brakes, remember.

disk wha?? only disk I got is slipped.

now git off muh lawn!
Old 11-17-19, 10:16 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Now you kids are confusing me again, dagnabbit. Is it disc or disk? 🤔
Old 11-17-19, 11:13 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Now you kids are confusing me again, dagnabbit. Is it disc or disk? 🤔
It's 'disc', as in 'disc breaks':

Old 11-17-19, 01:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

So, did you break your brake disc, just for this thread? 😁
Old 11-17-19, 01:18 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Today Lefty forks are better engineered...they used to be max ASTM condition 2 AKA 6" drops or less (think less than a regulation road-curb in the USA). Problem being everyone treated them like XC equipment....result was lots and lots of people were surprised when they broke prematurely after being abused by people who didn't know they were abusing them.

These days Cannonwhale engineers them to Cond 3 I think.

Either way...they don't gain you much for a touring context at all--and introduce hard-to-source proprietary parts where you don't need them.

Originally Posted by tcs
Where there's a will, there's a way. This cat's touring on his lefty fork bike:
There was a guy a few years ago on Tour de Nebraska that brought a Bike Friday. I remember it because I was about to leave a convenience store on my bike, he rode in, and his front fork snapped. Was just one of those things. He was fine, but his tour was done. No spare parts within who knows how many hundreds of miles, and for a 5 day organized tour he was done, given time constraints.
Old 11-17-19, 08:34 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by saddlesores

Minoura rack...nice that such a model is available but it's massive & heavy. I looked at the Old Man Mountain website that claims new rack production will soon resume. But I don't think there are any production drop-bar touring bikes suitable for swapping in a suspension fork anyway & if I had $5,000 to build a custom susp-fork tourer I'd spend another $1,000 for sweet custom racks. Oh well, my touring bikes are reasonably comfortable so I'm not considering that seriously. I'd email some builders just to see but they're busy guys so I don't want to bother them with theoretical questions.