Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

X marks the Viner?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

X marks the Viner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 12:04 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
X marks the Viner?

As previously mentioned, I had one last bike build in the works for 2019. I finished it yesterday and took it for a ride today.

I'm not entirely sure what this is, but from what I've been able to find I think it's a mid-80's Viner.

As you can see, no decals except for the tube set, and this is obviously a parts bin build so no clues there. There are, however, distinctive X-shaped cutouts in the lugs, which is the entire basis for my Viner guess.

From what I've read, this is consistent with the Reynolds 531c decals.

One last clue is the portacatena dropouts.

This bike has an interesting recent history. As I've been told @-holiday76 got this frame somewhere, passed it on to @nlerner, who sent it to @gugie, who gave it to me. This is obviously a very nice frame to be given away so often. The reason is that it has a stuck seatpost. I'm a lover of lost causes, so it was fitting that it found its way to me. The seatpost is a Campy 2-bolt model. When I got it it was marred from past attempts at removal involving a vice of some kind and missing the removable parts. I can only speculate as to its being the correct size. After attempting a few of the usual non-destructive removal methods, I decided to throw a saddle on and measure. I've got a couple of odd-sized two-bolt posts, so I had the missing parts. It took a little work with a file to get it together, but the result was well worth it. I put on my usual Specialized Phenom saddle, and it happened that the post is adjusted to exactly the height I need, to the millimeter.

So, I just left it. I built the bike mostly with parts I had on hand. I have an old Nishiki that I was planning to build as a singlespeed, but this is much nicer. I put a seatpost bolt on finger-tight just to have one on hand, but I left it loose in the hopes that thousands of blows with a 230-pound hammer (me) would knock the seatpost loose. Alas, after an initial 14-mile shakedown ride it's no closer than when I started. On the other hand, it rides quite nicely.

One last fun note, the two pictures below were taken with the bike in exactly the same place. The second one is a few steps further away using my phone's "portrait" mode.

Anyone have any more specific ideas about what this is?
Old 01-07-20, 06:04 AM
kenhawkeye

Bikes: 1976, Alan Super Record, 1977 Bob Jackson, 1978 Viner Special Professional, 1978 Bianchi Super Corsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
X marks the Viner?

Originally Posted by Andy_K
As previously mentioned, I had one last bike build in the works for 2019. I finished it yesterday and took it for a ride today.

I'm not entirely sure what this is, but from what I've been able to find I think it's a mid-80's Viner.

As you can see, no decals except for the tube set, and this is obviously a parts bin build so no clues there. There are, however, distinctive X-shaped cutouts in the lugs, which is the entire basis for my Viner guess.

From what I've read, this is consistent with the Reynolds 531c decals.

One last clue is the portacatena dropouts.

This bike has an interesting recent history. As I've been told @-holiday76 got this frame somewhere, passed it on to @nlerner, who sent it to @gugie, who gave it to me. This is obviously a very nice frame to be given away so often. The reason is that it has a stuck seatpost. I'm a lover of lost causes, so it was fitting that it found its way to me. The seatpost is a Campy 2-bolt model. When I got it it was marred from past attempts at removal involving a vice of some kind and missing the removable parts. I can only speculate as to its being the correct size. After attempting a few of the usual non-destructive removal methods, I decided to throw a saddle on and measure. I've got a couple of odd-sized two-bolt posts, so I had the missing parts. It took a little work with a file to get it together, but the result was well worth it. I put on my usual Specialized Phenom saddle, and it happened that the post is adjusted to exactly the height I need, to the millimeter.

So, I just left it. I built the bike mostly with parts I had on hand. I have an old Nishiki that I was planning to build as a singlespeed, but this is much nicer. I put a seatpost bolt on finger-tight just to have one on hand, but I left it loose in the hopes that thousands of blows with a 230-pound hammer (me) would knock the seatpost loose. Alas, after an initial 14-mile shakedown ride it's no closer than when I started. On the other hand, it rides quite nicely.

One last fun note, the two pictures below were taken with the bike in exactly the same place. The second one is a few steps further away using my phone's "portrait" mode.

Anyone have any more specific ideas about what this is?
The dropout has holes for a portacatena, so it may be earlier than you think. It looks nothing like my Viner, which has a star cutout in the BB, stars in the lugs and stars in the fork. The best way to remove a stuck aluminum seat post in a steel frame is to use sodium hydroxide. It's hazardous stuff and eats aluminum without harming steel. It can also damage decals and paint too, so if you want to keep paint you have to be very careful. I've successfully freed 4 stuck posts by hanging the frame upside down in a well-ventilated room and gradually feeding in the lye. The process produces hydrogen gas, hence the ventilation. No naked flames either!
Old 01-07-20, 06:38 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
-----

Someone should speak to Tullio Nr. 302 to let him know that Christmas is now over and he no longer needs to impersonate a candy cane.

---

One user of the X symbol is Presto of Amsterdam. Have only seen them use it as a multiple however, not as a single.
@non-fixie shall be able to comment...

-----
Old 01-07-20, 08:16 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
I'd say that is a 531 Viner. The X's look credible and the seat cluster and fork crown look Viner-esque as well.

I have a similar, if not the same frame. However, I got it many years ago and it's a little too small for me, so by now it is way back in a dark corner of my storage. Will have to see if and when I can dig it out, as I only have the seller's pic, which doesn't help much:

Presto, BTW, did indeed use the X as well, but always in threes, as in the Amsterdam coat of arms:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-07-20, 11:32 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
-----

Viva Viviano!

---

One U.S. agent for Prodotti Nerozzi at this epoch was Gus Betat of New Orleans.

-----
Old 01-07-20, 12:16 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

BTW, Andy, how do you like the way it rides? The reason I ask is I have another Viner frame, a 531 "tre tubi" which is my size and I am on the fence about whether to build it or not. I believe it is a "Record" frame, and it does need new paint and decals.

A few pics of Viner details for comparison:

Seat cluster:

Dropouts:

Fork crown:

Old 01-07-20, 12:41 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
Ah yes, that looks familiar. I got it as part of a package deal from a local CL flipper. I recall him mentioning that it was a Viner and he thought it was a repaint (i don't think it was a repaint). He had no luck removing the post so just wanted it gone.

I tried a few times to remove the post (i'm likely the one who scraped it up some) after soaking it in PB blaster.

It was a few months later that there happened to be an empty bike case belonging to Nlerner that needed to go back to Boston. it seemed like a great place to put that frame. In fact, I like to send all my discarded bicycle paraphernalia to Neal. I'm glad to see that he redistributes some of it to the general public.

BTW, i think i might still have the campy seat post parts I took off of that bike. Getting me to send them anytime soon is probably a losing proposition though.

Old 01-07-20, 12:53 PM
515Cycling

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda, 1976 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 27 Posts
The crosses do belong to Viner

I have attached a link. I have been following/tracking Viners for about two years. I like the fact that they are good frames are in relatively short supply and I love the star cut outs on the top of line model, the Special Proffesional.

The OP's frame is most likely a Strada or a Special Corsa. I'm no expert, just a fan. But, I am near certain that this is a Viner frame.

https://vineristi.wordpress.com/2011...s-and-crosses/
Old 01-07-20, 07:30 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by kenhawkeye
The dropout has holes for a portacatena, so it may be earlier than you think.
The H Lloyd Cycles Reynolds decal timeline says this decal was introduced in 1983, though that would obviously mean nothing if it's been repainted. Seems a little early for this kind of fade paint job, but I'm no expert there. No brazed on cable guides, so it's probably not much later than 1983. The fork has been drilled for recessed brakes, but not the rear bridge, so that's probably a later mod. The headset dates from 1987, I think, but I don't suppose that necessarily means anything.

Originally Posted by kenhawkeye
It looks nothing like my Viner, which has a star cutout in the BB, stars in the lugs and stars in the fork.
As the link Mark Isaak shared says, Viner seems to have used stars for Columbus tubing and crosses for Reynolds.
Old 01-07-20, 07:34 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by non-fixie
BTW, Andy, how do you like the way it rides?
I've only ridden it once so far (we're in the middle of our annual nine months of rain), but I really liked it. Considering I've got it built as a single speed (which I don't generally prefer) and I chose to ride it on the worst chip seal in the area, I think that's pretty good. Not once did it feel like a beater bike. I am using nice wheels and tires, so I didn't completely handicap the ride.
Old 01-07-20, 07:37 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by -holiday76
BTW, i think i might still have the campy seat post parts I took off of that bike. Getting me to send them anytime soon is probably a losing proposition though.
I borrowed the missing bits from a 26.6 Campy post in the corner of my garage (ask @gugie how amazing it was that I could even find it). As soon as I find a use for a 26.6 seat post I'll ask you about the parts.
Old 01-07-20, 10:04 PM
515Cycling

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda, 1976 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 27 Posts
Paint in the crosses

The H Lloyd Cycles Reynolds decal timeline says this decal was introduced in 1983, though that would obviously mean nothing if it's been repainted. Seems a little early for this kind of fade paint job, but I'm no expert there. No brazed on cable guides, so it's probably not much later than 1983. The fork has been drilled for recessed brakes, but not the rear bridge, so that's probably a later mod. The headset dates from 1987, I think, but I don't suppose that necessarily means anything.

As the link Mark Isaak shared says, Viner seems to have used stars for Columbus tubing and crosses for Reynolds.

All the Viners I’ve seen that had original paint have very clean concise paint in either stars or crosses. The thick paint in the crosses says to me it is a repaint. I do think it is older than the current 90s paint scheme. But, I’m just guessing.

Last edited by 515Cycling; 01-07-20 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 04:44 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I've only ridden it once so far (we're in the middle of our annual nine months of rain), but I really liked it. Considering I've got it built as a single speed (which I don't generally prefer) and I chose to ride it on the worst chip seal in the area, I think that's pretty good. Not once did it feel like a beater bike. I am using nice wheels and tires, so I didn't completely handicap the ride.
Thank you. That is useful information. In the sense that I've now got an extra project: to build up that Viner. Oh well.

Old 01-09-20, 11:17 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
I borrowed the missing bits from a 26.6 Campy post in the corner of my garage (ask @gugie how amazing it was that I could even find it). As soon as I find a use for a 26.6 seat post I'll ask you about the parts.
I've got a picture of Andy's garage somewhere, but certain things just shouldn't be posted on the internet.