Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

What is a good BMX bike for me?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 05:30 PM
skribs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not looking to BMX, what I want is a smaller bike with the full 360 rotation on the front handlebars. I find these bikes to be nice and portable compared to a mountain bike or a street bike. I'd mainly use it just for riding around town. Here's a bit about me and what I'm looking for:

• I'm about 5'5" male
  • I want a bike that's good on dirt
  • It needs to have a rotor brake
  • Longer crank is preferred
  • The lighter it is, the better
  • Cost isn't a major factor, but I don't want to spend more than I have to
  • I prefer a simple color scheme
  • I don't care if it comes with pegs or not. I won't use them, but I'm capable of taking them off if it comes with them
I'd love to hear your advice on what would be a good bike for me.
Old 07-24-16, 09:28 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm not current on BMX makes and models, but a few 20" bikes that come stock with a detangler (Gyro/Rotor) are listed below. At first glance, I might lean toward the GT Slammer XL. It's a 20" bike so it's compact, it's relatively inexpensive, totally capable for 'round town use, its semi-transparent blue color is simple but cool, and its frame has a longer top tube to fit taller riders.

Diamondback Grind 20
Diamondback Grind Pro
Diamondback Venom
GT Slammer
GT Slammer XL
Haro Downtown DLX
Haro Leucadia DLX
Felt Mystic
Felt Ethic
Felt Heretic
Old 07-24-16, 11:48 PM
skribs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I notice on a lot of BMX bikes I see either reviews "I got this for my 8 year old" or the size guide on the website (such as with the Diamondbacks you linked) it's listed under kids bikes. Is the recommended sizing different for BMX bikes than for mountain bikes?
Old 07-25-16, 05:37 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dude...I don't know a lot about BMX bikes, but my son rides a 20" BMX bike and he's 6.

I have ridden it for fun, and it's very small...I'm like 5'9.5
Old 07-25-16, 08:14 AM
skribs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Deapee, what size would you recommend?
Old 07-25-16, 10:19 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by skribs
Thanks for the suggestions! I notice on a lot of BMX bikes I see either reviews "I got this for my 8 year old" or the size guide on the website (such as with the Diamondbacks you linked) it's listed under kids bikes. Is the recommended sizing different for BMX bikes than for mountain bikes?
Yes, sizing is very different for BMX bikes. Because of the tall handlebar on a BMX bike, you can adjust height and reach a lot to accommodate riders of various height. Short rider? Drop the saddle and tilt the bar back. Tall rider? Raise the saddle and stem and angle the bar forward.

Here are a few sizing guides from Dan's Comp (a BMX shop) and Eastern (a BMX bike brand):
https://www.danscomp.com/serve/produ...riderchart.htm
SIZING FOR BMX BIKES - Find the right size Eastern Bike

As for being kids' bikes, it's not so much a sizing thing as a marketing thing. Buyers of BMX bikes tend to be kids and teenagers, so that's who the companies target their marketing at. That doesn't mean you have to be a kid to ride one. I mean, the guys doing BMX freestyle at competitions like the X Games aren't 8-year-olds.

If you hadn't mentioned that you wanted a BMX bike and a gyro (detangler), I probably wouldn't have steered you toward BMX bikes. But hey, if that's what you want, go for it.
Old 07-25-16, 01:39 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skribs
Deapee, what size would you recommend?
I appreciate the direct question, but here's what I know:

I ride a 54CM road bike.
I ride a M mountain bike.
My 6-year old son rides a 20" BMX bike.

I tried googling this for you and ended up confused. It appears almost as if 20" is the "standard" bmx size, but they might make a 24" also.

This is a video of 20" BMX

And here's a 24" BMX

To me, the 20" looks like a kid's bike -- I couldn't imagine riding on that.
Old 07-25-16, 04:18 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
First of all you have to ask what yourself what you want to do with it. Bmx bikes may all look the same, but there are subtle differences that can be a big difference later.

There's basically two groups: 1) Your classic race BMX, which will be light and agile 2) Your classic Freestyle BMX which are usually heavier but hopefully stronger, and will have space for foot mounts, you buy one of these to do tricks. Riders may use sub category's like bike "A" being a good ramp bike etc.

If you want to basically cruise around and do jumps, to be honest a mountain bike maybe the way to go. Which might be why BMX's aren't as popular as they were in their hey day. Back in the 90's when I was riding BMX's, mountain bikes were still basically 10 speeds with fat tires and wouldn't hold up. But mountain bikes have improved dramatically, and may have exceeded BMX's.

Once you have decided what you want to do, go check out the local bike shop. It's one thing to look at a picture and it's another to actually sit on the thing. You'll know which is the right one for you by doing this more than anything else. You'll know in your heart which bike will excite you the most, as even the most expensive bike in the world, if it's a poor fit and doesn't feel right won't get ridden.

And don't worry about the 20'' being a 8 year old thing. Back in the day (80's) they used to make a even smaller frame for under 10's and would call them a "mini" and 20'' was considered for older teenager 12-18 year olds. 24'' were actually a lot more uncommon unless you raced, and were considered a cruiser. I think the whole 8 year old thing is because they want to sell BMX's when you are young, but want to sell way more expensive mountain bikes to teenagers with disposable income.

I rode BMX's all the way into my 20's though I did get into road bikes/racing a lot more in my late teens and 20's. But there was still nothing quite like the freedom of cruising with your friends, and grabbing tons of air off jumps with your trusty BMX.
Old 07-28-16, 04:37 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
There are different sizes of 20" bmx bies, - they are all short, but top tube length is how they are sized, With

Sizes are Expert, Pro, Pro XL and Pro XXL

With a Pro XL bike, you have a machine suitable for someone between 5'6 and 6'

Classic BMX machines, - Mongoose's etc, are all quite small by modern standards , - as in, not comfortable for most over about 5'3 or 4
Old 12-13-16, 11:27 AM
N3gr8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20.5 - 21"

Most BMX bikes have 20.5-21" top tubes. If you are above 6 foot you should get a bike that has 21-22" top tube but in my opinion it's not really a BMX if the top tube is above 22". I recommend getting a fit, fiend, or cult complete from sites like danscomp or empirebmx. Best of luck!
Old 12-13-16, 08:10 PM
CHILDISHGAMBINO

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are lots of riders over 6' tall that ride 20" BMX. I feel weird on a 20" bike but I'm 40 and have a lot of injuries. I have a 24" BMX(well I have 2 of them)and it might feel too big as trick bike to someone 5'5". Go try a few different top tube sizes if you can. You can probably find a 20" bike that feels comfortable.
Old 12-13-16, 09:20 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by N3gr8
in my opinion it's not really a BMX if the top tube is above 22". I recommend getting a fit, fiend, or cult complete from sites like danscomp or empirebmx. Best of luck!

Wrong---

And the brands you listed are not BMX brands, they are street/freestyle brands

doesn't really matter though - the OP signed off month ago ---
Old 12-22-16, 11:07 AM
N3gr8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHILDISHGAMBINO
There are lots of riders over 6' tall that ride 20" BMX. I feel weird on a 20" bike but I'm 40 and have a lot of injuries. I have a 24" BMX(well I have 2 of them)and it might feel too big as trick bike to someone 5'5". Go try a few different top tube sizes if you can. You can probably find a 20" bike that feels comfortable.
I was generalizing and from what I've seen most riders over 6 ft prefer to ride 21-22 top tubes. 21" TT have become common even with short riders. I agree though, you should try to ride several frames with different top tubes before you make a large investment.
Old 12-22-16, 11:09 AM
N3gr8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Wrong---

And the brands you listed are not BMX brands, they are street/freestyle brands

doesn't really matter though - the OP signed off month ago ---
I suppose you are correct in a sense. Everyone's point of views of BMX difers. If you asked a racer the same question I'm sure he'd reply with several different brands and tt sizes. Good insight though and my apologies for bringing up an old thread!
Old 12-26-16, 12:46 AM
CHILDISHGAMBINO

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was generalizing and from what I've seen most riders over 6 ft prefer to ride 21-22 top tubes. 21" TT have become common even with short riders. I agree though, you should try to ride several frames with different top tubes before you make a large investment.
I was referring to the guy a few posts up calling 20" bikes "kids bikes".
Old 12-26-16, 09:55 AM
DMC707

I suppose you are correct in a sense. Everyone's point of views of BMX difers. If you asked a racer the same question I'm sure he'd reply with several different brands and tt sizes. Good insight though and my apologies for bringing up an old thread!
No apologies needed, we are all learning from each other and spit balling ideas around, -- even if the OP is outta here, it may be good info for others in the future

That said, i just noticed in the original post , something was said about a gyro or a de tangler. That would mean you were spot on in recommending the street/dirt jump brands. I normally look at things from a racing perspective so that skewed my vision
Old 12-26-16, 01:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
X games Stunt riding use 20" wheels because they are potentially super strong , as a wheel gets larger it is more damageable

with the same effort a 20" wheel will shrug off..