Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me pick my new STEEL ride! Budget within...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-13, 03:27 PM
Duffeymt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Budget is $4,000 ideally, maybe up to $5,000. Riding style is weekend group rides, occasional fast solo rides, and group/charity centuries. No racing for me. I came from a carbon roadie and an aluminum tri bike but am seriously contemplating steel...

I do have an R3 on my mind just in case - I am going back and forth but am very interested in going steel or ti.

Seven and Serotta custom options are available, but those are just our of budget range, I beleive.

Interested to hear what people recommend.= given my budget.
Old 02-22-13, 03:34 PM
mulliganvi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak to this bike from experience, but it sure looks fancy.

https://cielo.chrisking.com/bikes/sportif-details/
Old 02-22-13, 03:37 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an '86 Ciocc Columbus tretubi in 56 or 57. Hand made Italian. DA and Ultegra / Ultegra 600 mix. Ofmega wheels. I'll see it to you for $4k.
Old 02-22-13, 03:51 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At that price point, I'd seriously be looking at a custom Guru steel frame.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 02-22-13, 03:52 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
One like Scooper's.
Old 02-22-13, 05:13 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
at that price seems you can get almost anything...Ritchey Road Logic https://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=600491
Old 02-22-13, 05:30 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I have an R3 and a steel Bianchi and enjoy both. I bought the steel bike to have it converted to a travel bike with S&S couplers so I can take it on trips.

I wouldn't buy a steel bike again though unless I had a specific goal I was trying to achieve. You could easily spend $5k on a custom steel frame and not like it as much as an R3.
Old 02-22-13, 05:33 PM
Fred B

Bikes: 2013 Cinelli Super Corsa, 2013 De Rosa Nuovo Classico, 2011 Mercian Strada Speciale, 1980 Andre Bertin Model C-132

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duffeymt
Budget is $4,000 ideally, maybe up to $5,000. Riding style is weekend group rides, occasional fast solo rides, and group/charity centuries. No racing for me. I came from a carbon roadie and an aluminum tri bike but am seriously contemplating steel...

I do have an R3 on my mind just in case - I am going back and forth but am very interested in going steel or ti.

Seven and Serotta custom options are available, but those are just our of budget range, I beleive.

These bikes were each built for the price you are contemplating -

For details on the components - https://www.flickr.com/photos/7645270...in/photostream

For details on the components - https://www.flickr.com/photos/7645270...in/photostream
Old 02-22-13, 09:41 PM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding a steel Seven Axiom that I picked up used, built in 2005, for the past three months and it's my dream ride and very well made. I've got a 2012 Spesh Sectuer which is a fine bike but I much prefer the Seven. I was very lucky that it fit me so well. If you order new which should be in your budget you'll get a custom fit as well.
Old 02-22-13, 09:51 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

This baby would absolutely get my vote and my money. Love it. I also love steel. My main ride is a Merlin Ti/Carbon fiber from 2004 which is great. I also have a 1976 Freschi ( Emiliano Freschi was the chief frame builder for Pogliaghi bicycles, I believe, in Italy in the 70's). I still have it, perfect condition and though a bit heavier, is a great ride.
But for a new steel....this Baum has classic, great, unique and classy written all over it.
Heres the link....
https://www.baumcycles.com/bikes/ristretto

Last edited by surgeonstone; 02-22-13 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-22-13, 10:08 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with Fred B.! Get yourself a nice vintage Eye-talian or Frog bike with modern components. You can buy a darn nice vintage steel bike for $1500-$2000....so buy two!
Old 02-22-13, 10:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
this Baum has classic, great, unique and classy written all over it.
Heres the link....
https://www.baumcycles.com/bikes/ristretto
Very hot! Those are the fattest steel tubes on that Ristretto that I've ever seen!

I've still got a soft spot for Independent Fabrication's Crown Jewel, which at about $2.4k, could be built up within range if kept humble. Maybe the OP would like Andy Hampsten's Strada Bianca, which is in the same range, and an absolutely gorgeous bike.
Old 02-22-13, 10:27 PM
HBxRider

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can someone school a newbie on what the benefits are of a steel frame on that high end budget? I'm assuming its for durability, longevity and people like classic looks. But how much difference is there between a $300 steel frame and a $3000 steel frame?
Old 02-22-13, 10:48 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
OK, but... why?

To be more precise: Which road bikes have you used so far, and what changes are you hoping to accomplish with a different frame?

As noted, you can get a custom steel frame on your budget. But I'd say that unless you have unusual fit dimensions, you need to be able to articulate what you're looking for to really get the most out of it.
Old 02-22-13, 11:02 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider
Can someone school a newbie on what the benefits are of a steel frame on that high end budget? I'm assuming its for durability, longevity and people like classic looks. But how much difference is there between a $300 steel frame and a $3000 steel frame?
Nicer frames are lighter and hopefully better designed. The difference between a $300 frame of any material and a $1500 frame is likely to be noticeable. The difference between a $1500 and a $3000, less so. At least while riding. The $3000 frame may have some design elements that look purdy. Custom adds money and may be worth it for people with unusual dimensions. Steel is pretty much an aesthetic/nostalgia thing, although it is a relatively inexpensive way to get a custom ride. Claims of special durability and longevity are pretty much imaginary. A lightweight frame of any material is gonna have some compromises durability wise.
Old 02-22-13, 11:22 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Amazing how expensive steel bikes have become. I have a nice 531 tubed bike from early 1990s. Maybe buy one of these used.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-22-13, 11:34 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd go with a less glamorous name custom with Red and some handbuilt 28/32 wheels.

There are builders out there who don't charge silly prices for custom steel.
Old 02-23-13, 09:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Steel is pretty much an aesthetic/nostalgia thing...
While I don't necessarily disagree, I'm reluctant to distill the issue to just that. In my own experience, I've owned fairly nice aluminum framed MTBs from GT and Cannondale, and very nice steel framed MTBs from Bridgestone, Fat City, and DeKerf. Without projecting too much onto road bikes, where I have much less frame experience, when riding those MTBs at race pace, neither alu bike had the same kind of vibrant feel any of the steel bikes did. Granted the Fat and the Dekerf were considerably pricier, but even an MB-4 Bridgestone (Ritchey Logic tube set) had more "feel" than the Zaskar or M800.

Yes, it was also a long time ago, and in addition to alu tech changing quite a lot, so too the vagaries of memory!

Anyway, I guess I agree with you-- I love the svelte look of steel-- but I don't want to! I want for there to be a special magic to steel, but it may exist only in the rarest of cases!

Originally Posted by rebel1916
Claims of special durability and longevity are pretty much imaginary. A lightweight frame of any material is gonna have some compromises durability wise.
One thing of recent interest in the development of steel road frames is the new Breezer Venturi. It's the first production post-weld heat treated road frame (or maybe it was first PWHT road frame with hydroformed steel tubes?), and it takes advantage of the PWHT process to drive up strength and durability. It's the same process that Odyssey revolutionized BMX when they released the 41 Thermal forks more than 15 years ago, and the same process that rocketed Sunday BMX frames to preeminence 10 or so years ago, so it definitely makes steel stronger and more durable.

I just picked one of the Breezers up, but haven't had a chance to really ride it yet, being that it's been a fairly snowy winter. Hopefully it will prove that my passion for steel is more than just aesthetics and nostalgia!
Old 02-23-13, 09:41 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Either a Tomassinni steel or a custom built form one of the elite builders then do the components to your budget. If you want a complete bike in steel my choice for a good, reliable model would be the Masi Grand Criterium, you woould have enough money out of your budget for some good wheelsets.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-23-13, 06:54 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I built a custom steel steed from a local builder with Campy Chorus and Fulcrum 2-way 3's and nice components right around $4500 all in if memory serves. Sounds like you can pretty much pick your builder (within reason) and go from there. By the way, haven't regretted the decision to build a custom steel ride at all. Rode it yesterday, still brings a smile to my face!
Old 02-23-13, 07:20 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Cro-Moly steel has one thing you just can't get with other materials: that bell-like TIING sound when you flick the tube!
Old 02-23-13, 07:51 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of people still riding 30 and 40 year-old steel bikes. How many of today's carbon bikes will still be on the road ten years from now? How many 10 year-old CF bikes do you on the road now?

There's something very un-nerving about carbon......
Old 02-23-13, 08:22 PM
RoadMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at some of Rob English's work. With your budget, that would be where I would go for steel...the man is an artist. https://www.englishcycles.com/
Old 02-23-13, 09:05 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, have a look at the Breadwinner Lolo. Brand new company formed as a JV between Tony Perreira and Ira Ryan. Sweet looking ride.
Old 02-23-13, 09:30 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by DayGloDago

There's something very un-nerving about carbon......
Only for people who are ignorant about how strong it is. Watch this video.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-c...-test-lab.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.