Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Modern Canti's for a vintage touring bike - suggestions?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-19, 01:48 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts

In my experience vintage touring bikes i.e a mid 80s Nishiki Cresta GT or Schwinn Passage, have front canti posts that are spaced in the 75 to 80mm range and are therefore much narrower spacing than on more modern bikes. I tried Tektro 720s on my 86 Schwinn Passage a few years ago and discovered this issue, they were fine in back but would not work up front so I remounted the stock Dia-Compes.

Having just finished setting up the stock Dia-Compe 962 brakes on my Nishiki I got to wondering if there was something a bit more modern and easier to set up/adjust that would work with the narrow canti studs? I have seen Planet X Frogs as an option (thanks @thethinman) but those show up on amazon as "no longer available" and I don't see them elsewhere. So my question has anyone had success with a more modern set of canti's -Tektro,Cane Creek, Avid etc on a vintage tourer and if so which model?

I can live with the Dia-Compes and the tedious set up but am curious if there is another way.

Thanks

looks great without an actual wheel
Old 06-09-19, 03:08 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
In my experience vintage touring bikes i.e a mid 80s Nishiki Cresta GT or Schwinn Passage, have front canti posts that are spaced in the 75 to 80mm range and are therefore much narrower spacing than on more modern bikes. I tried Tektro 720s on my 86 Schwinn Passage a few years ago and discovered this issue, they were fine in back but would not work up front so I remounted the stock Dia-Compes.

Having just finished setting up the stock Dia-Compe 962 brakes on my Nishiki I got to wondering if there was something a bit more modern and easier to set up/adjust that would work with the narrow canti studs? I have seen Planet X Frogs as an option (thanks @thethinman) but those show up on amazon as "no longer available" and I don't see them elsewhere. So my question has anyone had success with a more modern set of canti's -Tektro,Cane Creek, Avid etc on a vintage tourer and if so which model?

I can live with the Dia-Compes and the tedious set up but am curious if there is another way.

Thanks

looks great without an actual wheel
Consider Dia Compe 988. They are sort of a 90s brake, but they are still made and sold. Should work with your narrow posts. They also have significant up and down adjustment if converting between 700 and 27 is an issue.They may be be easier to set up than 962s for you but I don't know. I've set up so many canti brakes in my life they all kind of blend together.

The Tektro 720 are nice brakes. I have them on my Riv, but yeah, not friendly to vintage post spacing.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 06-09-19, 03:46 PM
kydeadhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just put a set of Dia-Compe 980 cantis on an '83 Voyager. Easy to set up and they use modern pads, Rivendell has them currently.
Old 06-09-19, 05:42 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by kydeadhead
I just put a set of Dia-Compe 980 cantis on an '83 Voyager. Easy to set up and they use modern pads, Rivendell has them currently.
Thanks I will check those out
Old 06-10-19, 08:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Why they put those posts so close together I'll never know. I had someone send me some NOS MAFAC studs they wanted brazed onto their frame, I talked them out of it, as the miter and position of the stud would make it difficult to get a wheel with anything other than a 25mm wide tire on it pumped up. One of the advantages of centerpull posts is you can put them on forks with fairly narrow fork crowns and still have them swing open enough to get a fat tire through.

Those Tektros are inexpensive, easy to set up, and have all the adjustability one would want. Unfortunately they don't play well with vintage forks.