Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Revival of a long defunct marque.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-19, 10:27 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts

Would you believe bicycles are once again being sold under the Wright Brothers brand?
I had the opportunity to tour the Wright Brothers bicycle shop in Dayton this past week, and the tour guide mentioned that there was a new company in the office across the street that has licensed the name, and in co operation with the Wright Brothers foundation, was once again producing bikes and other merchandise under the brand.
I wandered over and met the president of what for now, is pretty much a two man operation, and had a lengthy and very interesting discussion.
Here is a link to the site with details on the two models being offered, with the same model names as the original bikes produced by Wilbur and Orville.

https://www.thewrightbrothersusa.com...nture-bicycles
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 06-30-19, 10:30 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Interesting.

I'll check it out.

Thanks for the heads up.
Likes For gomango:
Old 06-30-19, 11:12 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I'm pretty skeptical.

They offer two bike models and about a million pieces of random GQ-esque clothing and accessories.

The bike models are just rebranded Co-Motion heavy duty touring bikes.

What does this have to do with the Wright Bros? They bought the license for the name essentially for search engine optimization?

Check out a bike shop in Vermont called Analog Cycles. They have had some unique fillet brazed quill stems made with 0 reach, mimicking a stem design seen on Wright Bros bicycles. That is more in the spirit of taking historical inspiration and making something unique.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 06-30-19 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 06-30-19, 11:40 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I'm pretty skeptical.

They offer two bike models and about a million pieces of random GQ-esque clothing and accessories.

What does this have to do with the Wright Bros? They bought the license for the name essentially for search engine optimization?

Check out a bike shop in Vermont called Analog Cycles. They have had some unique fillet brazed quill stems made with 0 reach, mimicking a stem design seen on Wright Bros bicycles. That is more in the spirit of taking historical inspiration and making something unique.
Your skepticism is well warranted, however imho anything that keeps the history of anything relevant this far down the road is good. So much history, appreciation and sense of pride is being lost to the sands of time and apathy of tech moving at warp speed.

Their choice of Co-Motion is pretty sound, they don't build anything wrong and at the end of the day you have a dam fine bicycle rebadged with some pretty cool names.

Definitely spendy stuff, but between licensing, being tied to a serious historical foundation and living up to the history, it has to be for viability whether they survive or not.

I'm glad they picked bicycles.

I hope they do well inspite of themselves.
Old 06-30-19, 01:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
If ever in Seattle, check out the Fremont bike shop ...

Wright Brothers Cycle Works - Seattle USA

Been in business for almost 50 years. It's old, woody, dark, and dusty. They have a co-op work space, vintage bikes for sale, lots of new parts, good service, and tons of old magazines to check out.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-30-19, 02:21 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If ever in Seattle, check out the Fremont bike shop ...

Wright Brothers Cycle Works - Seattle USA

Been in business for almost 50 years. It's old, woody, dark, and dusty. They have a co-op work space, vintage bikes for sale, lots of new parts, good service, and tons of old magazines to check out.
This makes far more sense to me. Very cool.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-30-19, 02:42 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
This makes far more sense to me. Very cool.
+1 agreed, very cool, albeit a long way from Dayton and Kitty Hawk.
Old 06-30-19, 02:44 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I'm pretty skeptical.

With list prices of $4k or more, I'll pass. In fact, I scoff at bicycles at those prices? It is "wrong-headed". <-- an odd expression I picked up somewhere along the line.

If they were authentic, if they were true Wright Brothers bicycle designs, the head badge might have more meaning and might be worthy of a nominally higher price. That they are re-branded bikes makes them seem like a rip off.

"I have a Wright Brothers bicycle."
"Oh, cool, is it really an original bike?"
"No, it is a modern bike. It does have a badge and decals that say Wright Bros."
"Oh, that's pretty cool. Is there anything unique about it other than the decals? How much did you pay for it?"
"Don't ask."

As it is, I wish them well but would not invest in either the company stock or their product.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 06-30-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 02:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Are they going to carry on the tradition of blocking any American developments with patent lawsuits for the next 10 years while the French carry on with all the real advancements?
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-30-19, 03:33 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Brand is so old I dont think it will have much in common with the past.

I was happy to see Koski back though! Don is a heck of a guy to talk to, and has the most amazing stories!.....he suggested Kuwahara as the bike for ET when ILM was making the movie, designed and built the first dedicated 26" fork (for Cook Bros)..... and so much more. They did a run of 100 or so Laguna style cruisers this year with old school type Koski fork. I am on the fence as I have so many bikes, but would love to make one pop like no other.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 06-30-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 04:19 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Five thousand buckaroos for another glorified hybrid with a sloping top tube?

No.

Not to mention that the comparable, 8-year-old Co-Motion CityView that these are more or less based off of is basically the same bike with those all-important fenders. They were also cheaper when new.

Someone needs to stop and realize that asking $4k+ for a boutique steel bike means you get fillet brazed joints everywhere. At those prices, I don't think it's unreasonable to demand it AT ALL.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-30-19, 06:59 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Not the first time someone has licensed the name(s) and tried to make a buck in Dayton. I find it interesting that each time, they try to go further upscale.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 07-01-19, 12:50 AM
Bad Lag

"Someone needs to stop and realize that asking $4k+ for a boutique steel bike means you get fillet brazed joints everywhere. At those prices, I don't think it's unreasonable to demand it AT ALL."

I'm not sure what you're saying here. To me, full fillet brazing would be a distinction without a difference. In no case would justify $4k - $5k for a bicycle.

The 8 speed Alfine hub costs $400, the 11 speed a little more, but it still does not tally up at $5k. I built a steel framed 8 speed Alfine, Brooks saddle,... everything for well under $1,000 and I paid full retail for everything,... including the VO fenders. ;-)

You could not get me to part with $5k for one of these bikes, not even with belt drive and a 14 speed Rohloff hub.
Old 07-01-19, 01:14 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
"Someone needs to stop and realize that asking $4k+ for a boutique steel bike means you get fillet brazed joints everywhere. At those prices, I don't think it's unreasonable to demand it AT ALL."

I'm not sure what you're saying here. To me, full fillet brazing would be a distinction without a difference. In no case would justify $4k - $5k for a bicycle.

The 8 speed Alfine hub costs $400, the 11 speed a little more, but it still does not tally up at $5k. I built a steel framed 8 speed Alfine, Brooks saddle,... everything for well under $1,000 and I paid full retail for everything,... including the VO fenders. ;-)

You could not get me to part with $5k for one of these bikes, not even with belt drive and a 14 speed Rohloff hub.
+1, agreed, BUT we are not the target market here, maybe they will figure out who is.
Old 07-01-19, 01:42 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Italvega is also another brand that has revived, I believe a couple of years ago. Oddly or. Ot, appears they are based in the Netherlands and make bikes and lots of lifestyle gear. Where they source their bikes I do not know.

https://www.italvega.cc/bikes/
[img]https://www.bikeforums.net/306b8525-dd06-4372-8569-ed72a050a67f
[img]https://www.bikeforums.net/c8077e3d-aeb2-47f7-b505-ab42d40c8758
Old 07-01-19, 05:49 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Fair point, fillet brazing does not justify the price alone.

Nevertheless, at these prices, the frame should have joints between the tubing that are distinctive and suggest a much better product than the competition. There's a practical cap to how much "better" everyone can make a bike under the same parameters of tubing and components, so the value in the cost has to be justified some other way; in the example I propose - craftsmanship. The English builders (and a number of current builders today) often express this their lugwork and paint, while the French constructeurs did the same with elaborate fillet work or a combination of fillets and lugs (or sleeves). This exceptional hand craftsmanship is part of what drives and justifies the values of these bikes to this day.

While I'll admit that the welding on this Co-Motion is exceptionally well done, it isn't anything that hasn't been seen on much cheaper bicycles. And since these are presumably hand-made frames built here in the US, fillet brazing over these joints should be possible in the workflow. Perhaps a pain to do, but for upwards of four thousand clams, one should get it by default.

-Kurt

Old 07-01-19, 06:08 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I wouldn't mind using a headbadge if I repainted my Bridgestone, but if I wanted to spend that kind of money on a retro steel bike, I'd just get a lugged beauty from Rivendell.
I might have done so already, but on a practical level, that space is already filled for me with my LHT.

Still... those lugs...
Likes For velojym:
Old 07-01-19, 06:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I just realized I was in Dayton this past December and didn't even think to stop in on the museum. D'oh!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-01-19, 10:16 AM
texbike
Bike Geek

Bikes: Mid 60s Cinelli SC, Early 70s Cinelli SC, '74 Masi GC, Colnago C40, C50, Mapei Colnago Master, '72 PX10, ,Merckx Corsa Extra (7-11 paint), '93 RB-1, Merlin Ti, Pegoretti Custom Team, Moots Vamoots, '89 Colnago Conic SLX, Time VXS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sadly, at those prices the only commonality that this "new" brand will be sharing with the old is that they too shall be defunct.

I like the concept of the bikes. However, I see no value in what is essentially a rebranding exercise. One of my favorite airplanes of all time is the F4U Corsair. Perhaps I should create "Corsair Cycles" and rebrand bikes as well...

Texbike
Likes For texbike:
Old 07-01-19, 10:26 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
just to note a coupled of things...... I don't see the equivalant in the current co-motion offerrngs....... they offer rolhoff and pinion for igh, so even if based off of an ealier model there is some level design for wright bro bikes

the prices are not much different than fully outfitted co-motion bikes....

I

Old 07-01-19, 10:45 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Of course, you realize that for between $3995-4750.00 you can buy an actual pre-WWI (and very possibly 1890's) bicycle in complete and worth restoring shape.

I like the effort, but the prices being asked are . . . . . . . er . . . . . . . insane?

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 07-01-19, 10:49 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Are they going to carry on the tradition of blocking any American developments with patent lawsuits for the next 10 years while the French carry on with all the real advancements?

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 07-01-19, 12:23 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by sykerocker
Of course, you realize that for between $3995-4750.00 you can buy an actual pre-WWI (and very possibly 1890's) bicycle in complete and worth restoring shape.

I like the effort, but the prices being asked are . . . . . . . er . . . . . . . insane?
Insane? Well, to the extent they will likely cause an early death for the business, sort of a corporate suicide. Is that insane?
  • Regarding an actual pre-WWI bicycle,... would people be interested in a modern rendition of those old bikes?
  • That is, a recreation of the frames built back then but done in modern steels with a modern drivetrain and modern brakes?
  • Would anyone buy a bicycle that had wooden rims?
  • Do modern rim brakes work on wooden rims or would this force you to use disk brakes (which I don't like and would destroy the aesthetics of the bike)?
  • Would anyone buy a bike because just it was a pseudo-recreation of a Wright Brothers bicycle?
What is the point of the Wright Brothers brand without the Wright Brothers products? <-- or Italvega, or Raleigh or ...

Last edited by Bad Lag; 07-01-19 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 12:52 PM
sykerocker 

Insane? Well, to the extent they will likely cause an early death for the business, sort of a corporate suicide. Is that insane?
  • Regarding an actual pre-WWI bicycle,... would people be interested in a modern rendition of those old bikes?
  • That is, a recreation of the frames built back then but done in modern steels with a modern drivetrain and modern brakes?
  • Would anyone buy a bicycle that had wooden rims?
  • Do modern rim brakes work on wooden rims or would this force you to use disk brakes (which I don't like and would destroy the aesthetics of the bike)?
  • Would anyone buy a bike because just it was a pseudo-recreation of a Wright Brothers bicycle?
What is the point of the Wright Brothers brand without the Wright Brothers products? <-- or Italvega, or Raleigh or ...
My personal dream is to own and restore to rideable condition a 1890-1914 vintage bike. And actually ride it on a daily basis. Assuming that's possible, or practical. That's what the last fifteen years of bicycle restorations that I've been doing have me aiming for. So far, I'm back to about 1935.

And I can only imagine what a genuine 1890's Wright bicycle would cost, given the pedigree.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-01-19, 12:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Color me puzzled as well. So many bicycle booms have busted since that brand went kaput, that there would be absolutely no brand recognition without their other sideline. Sure, they might have been innovative for 1896, but trying to do anything "innovative" with the brand now would mean a complete break with their history. And I'm skeptical of the rebranding exercise doing well. It would be cool if they built lugged, slack-angle, long-chainstay, cruiser-ish frames that could be built up as old-timey track bikes or path racers, but I'm not sure what the market for that would be. They'd be competing with Pashley at that point.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.